1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice
  3. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

30xx Series Founders Edition

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Dirk Diggler, 24 Sep 2020.

1. ltron

Mobster

I'm already questioning that :cry:. Nvidia have not done a good job although at least they exposed the temperature sensor that led us to the problem. My worry is if they want to do a similar thing in the future they will just not expose the relevant temperature sensor to users and then we'll all wonder why our cards are running loud.

2. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Does anyone know the longest cable length (Display Port) that I could use with my 3080 and Dell S2721DGF to ensure I get no issues with full 165Hz?

3. Trox

Mobster

I've bought replacement pads but I'm not overly concerned. I might replace them when I'm bored one day...

4. Changesx

Gangster

Should I swap my 3070 FE and £175 for an Asus Rog Strix 3070? :D

5. Mark011

Gangster

hey guys, how's 2040-55/10000Mhz on a 3080 FE? I have it watercooled never goes above 60, mostly it stays at 55C or below

6. TrojanWhore

Wise Guy

I don't have any experience with Ampere, nor high refresh, but I do have quite a lot of experience in commercial installations for digital signage.
    Based on that, 5m on (decent quality) copper cables is usually the reliable limit, but anything over that I'd look at fibre-optic based cables.
    Just had a look on a well known online purveyor of everything and you can get a 10m for £85, 20m for £90 - reviews on that indicate [email protected] (so I can't see why 165Hz would be a problem) works fine (on the 20m).
    If you have trouble with those, shouldn't be too much hassle to return it!

Hope that helps :)

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

There seems to be a lot of variables when it comes to cable length and higher res/refresh rate - some people seem to be happily able to do 10m no problem others hit a wall at 2-3m, etc.

8. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

That's very helpful, I didn't think about fibre options. Thanks very much for the info and thanks also @Rroff

9. K4Y84

Gangster

I wouldn't.

10. Changesx

Gangster

How come?

11. Gavster

Gangster

+1

12. K4Y84

Gangster

It's not worth the money.

13. Gavster

Gangster

Why would you pay £175 for a card that won`t perform that much better? Plus the Founders Editions are very good quality this time round.

14. Changesx

Gangster

Lowkey I do feel like it will just make my PC build more expensive. I wanted to go for a white lian li o11 mini build and just felt the the Asus Rog Strix 3070 white may suit the build better rather than the the 3070 FE? What do you think

I just feel the Asus Strix White may complement my build more.

15. Gavster

Gangster

That makes sense now

16. Tommy_Here

Wise Guy

I agree, the FE is a excellent card imo. Not worth it at all.

17. Changesx

Gangster

I agree too. But white aesthetics tho :( feel a bit stupid considering it but I think it would look really nice…

18. Jae-So

Mobster

Hell no, lol.
    I get the aesthetic point. I guess only you can answer how much that is worth to you.

19. Trig

Mobster

Straight swap, otherwise why?!

20. Gavster

Gangster

If you're going for a white Lian Li case and doing a white build then only you can justify if it's worth it or not. I'd have a look at the case gallery and do some googling to see if you can find some builds that are similar to what you're looking for. Personally I think the FE will suit it of your using mainly white components as it will break it up a bit without it being too much white.