• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
No I get totally where you're coming from with the 'it's someone else's fault mentality' and I do remember a lot of people getting a 3070 until they could bag a 3080 which as you say, compounded the problem.

'Home' miners should be deterred sufficiently by the one item per household rule, but were there also not stories about large amounts of cards not even reaching retailers and ending up on massive mining farms? How true all that is I don't know, although I do know there are some pretty big mining farms.

Yeah that's my point in post 6377. The retailers/distributors/gangsters are at it so we have no chance effecting the status quo. So to blame the regular miners is incorrect, its big boys toys and their warehouses stocking up and the middle men between AMD/nivida supply chain that need the scrutiny.

Soldato
'Home' miners should be deterred sufficiently by the one item per household rule, but were there also not stories about large amounts of cards not even reaching retailers and ending up on massive mining farms? How true all that is I don't know, although I do know there are some pretty big mining farms.

There are daily pictures of people picking up 5+ cards at a time in some of the discord groups Im in.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
There are daily pictures of people picking up 5+ cards at a time in some of the discord groups Im in.

From a logical perspective, the measures the retailer puts in place should stop this from happening. OK you can co-ordinate up front if someone gives each mate £500 then has access to their accounts and buys one from different cards+connections but thats only gonna be a handful of people that can be bothered with that.

If people are being successful doing this, then its the retailers measures that arent going the extra mile, but there has to be a cut off somewhere where its the selfish greed that the problem, and education can only go so far.

Associate
£2500 sale price per card.. Nice easy money.. £2500 - 13% (fees/paypal fee) = £2175 - 1400 = £775 per card..

The auction site are doing a "Max £1 selling fee" weekend again this weekend, they've been doing them about every two weeks this year (I've been clearing out a lot of old junk and it's been good for me), so they might make closer to £1k if they time it right.

Soldato
The auction site are doing a "Max £1 selling fee" weekend again this weekend, they've been doing them about every two weeks this year (I've been clearing out a lot of old junk and it's been good for me), so they might make closer to £1k if they time it right.
Also if you don’t use PayPal anymore for accepting payment (use eBay), I believe the fees are lower.

Soldato
So on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is this coil whine?

That's not bad that whine, so don't RMA it or you will get one that's a lot worse. Ones at our work that we sent back were really bad to point you hear them in a busy office. With your case door on it won't be as bad and you clearly have the mic levels up there as you hear the fans and air whooshing, so it's not bad. We could hear ours under the desks with thick panels on the cases in a office where the air conditioner is normally what is heard. You also have that card under stress by the sound too as a good one sounds like that, imagine one that sounds like someone scrapping a chalk board with nails really loud and then double that with the cards in sli/nvlink, that's how bad they can be or worse.

Want to hear bad (3090 KingPin), listen to this and it's still not as bad as the 3090 FEs we had at work :-

https://streamable.com/ix0qc3

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Always hard to tell with camera vs being there in person (and how quiet your background level is and/or other acoustics which might make it seem better or worse in person) but I'd say the chances are higher you'd get one with worse noise than one with better :| that doesn't seem too bad.

Also while no guarantee - when I got my 3070FE for some reason no whine in Windows 7 but was under some circumstances in Windows 10 - but after playing games on it for around 100 hours (mostly Cyberpunk and some modded Quake 2 RTX) it seems to have almost entirely gone away (or I've just got used to it but I don't think it is that).

Soldato
People still pay by PayPal but instead of paying you, they pay eBay. eBay pays you via bank transfer, eBay effectively becomes the middle person rather than PayPal.

Permabanned
Interesting. However the fees are higher now dealing with eBay directly if they are over 10%.

Considering I only sell for £1 ebay fee (when promotions kick in) and PayPal fees are only 2.9% + £0.3.

I wonder if they will get rid of PayPal for good in the near future.

Soldato
Loads of complaints about the new system as whats happening is bidder wins auction, pays for item, seller is not getting their money till 7-9 days because transfer is taking too long so obviously doesnt send item till money is in their bank account meanwhile bidder logs a failed to receive item, seller sends item when money finally is received but by this time Ebay has found in favour of the bidder so refunds the money and bidders are then getting item and money back.

Although with me I`m still on Paypal with my Ebay account its not changed.

Soldato
Loads of complaints about the new system as whats happening is bidder wins auction, pays for item, seller is not getting their money till 7-9 days because transfer is taking too long so obviously doesnt send item till money is in their bank account meanwhile bidder logs a failed to receive item, seller sends item when money finally is received but by this time Ebay has found in favour of the bidder so refunds the money and bidders are then getting item and money back.

Although with me I`m still on Paypal with my Ebay account its not changed.
One of my accounts (that I sell on more frequently) has been offered the new payment system, with a deadline of the end of May to accept. Nothing on the other one so far.

Associate
That's not bad that whine, so don't RMA it or you will get one that's a lot worse. Ones at our work that we sent back were really bad to point you hear them in a busy office. With your case door on it won't be as bad and you clearly have the mic levels up there as you hear the fans and air whooshing, so it's not bad. We could hear ours under the desks with thick panels on the cases in a office where the air conditioner is normally what is heard. You also have that card under stress by the sound too as a good one sounds like that, imagine one that sounds like someone scrapping a chalk board with nails really loud and then double that with the cards in sli/nvlink, that's how bad they can be or worse.

Want to hear bad (3090 KingPin), listen to this and it's still not as bad as the 3090 FEs we had at work :-

https://streamable.com/ix0qc3
Yeah this was with Battlefield 5 running, doesn't bother me since i have my headphones on but my computer is in a room that has other people in and i was getting comments like "What's wrong with your computer?".

Hopefully it quietens down a bit.

Associate
Always hard to tell with camera vs being there in person (and how quiet your background level is and/or other acoustics which might make it seem better or worse in person) but I'd say the chances are higher you'd get one with worse noise than one with better :| that doesn't seem too bad.

Also while no guarantee - when I got my 3070FE for some reason no whine in Windows 7 but was under some circumstances in Windows 10 - but after playing games on it for around 100 hours (mostly Cyberpunk and some modded Quake 2 RTX) it seems to have almost entirely gone away (or I've just got used to it but I don't think it is that).
I had the same thing with my 3090fe, slight coil whine, not too annoying but noticeable which has completely gone away after using the card for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom