• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
My PC is really, really quiet. I have Noctua case fans and a BQ cooler. When I had either of my 3060 Ti FE cards in, there was no sound above regular ambient. The 3080 is sat there without fans on now and it's the same sound level as when I had the 3060 Ti running.
In the benchmark, there's a whine that corresponds with things moving - high amount of movement in the benchmark and you get a loud whine. Not much going on, whine reduces. Can't hear fans.

I did not notice my 3090 coil whine when I was using my old case which has little airflow, all fans inside the case were running at higher rpm and much louder which likely covered the card coil whine. With the new case I can set all fans running at lower rpm and now hear the whine.

I undervolt the card and turn the case/cpu fans rpm up little bit to make the whine less noticeable, also less heat from the card while playing games.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
What settings? I have Afterburner I'll give it a bash.

Did you benchmark it before and after undervolting?

I only used Furmark to compare temps and FPS. Mine was boosting to 1950 sometimes 2000MHz stock and hitting 75-80C depending on ambient. I got that to 75C consistently by tuning my case fans to spool up a little more long with GPU temps.

Anyway here's my current settings:
IdacNx5h.png.jpg

I dropped the core clock to -208 then raised the clock in the curve editor (CTRL+F) at 775Mv to 1750 and hit apply in afterburner. Your milage may vary. But I peaked at 65C, fans barely audible. My coil whine went after a day so can't claim anything there but I can only assume it'll be better. You mileage may vary as to what's stable, my aim was for the rated stock boost so any percieved fps loss is minimal.

Soldato
The 3080fe is right at home in water. Was extremely nervous re-homing mine considering how hard it was for me to get one. Now it’s done and working I am blown away by the result. 55 deg max after 1 hour of cyberpunk and no undervolt required. What a beauty of a card.

Soldato
I only used Furmark to compare temps and FPS. Mine was boosting to 1950 sometimes 2000MHz stock and hitting 75-80C depending on ambient. I got that to 75C consistently by tuning my case fans to spool up a little more long with GPU temps.

Anyway here's my current settings:
IdacNx5h.png.jpg

I dropped the core clock to -208 then raised the clock in the curve editor (CTRL+F) at 775Mv to 1750 and hit apply in afterburner. Your milage may vary. But I peaked at 65C, fans barely audible. My coil whine went after a day so can't claim anything there but I can only assume it'll be better. You mileage may vary as to what's stable, my aim was for the rated stock boost so any percieved fps loss is minimal.

Thank you for this, gives me something to think about.

The 3080fe is right at home in water. Was extremely nervous re-homing mine considering how hard it was for me to get one. Now it’s done and working I am blown away by the result. 55 deg max after 1 hour of cyberpunk and no undervolt required. What a beauty of a card.
Got any pics?

Associate
I done it manually, it was painless and I didn't use the curve scanning process.

I am at 800mv @ 1800mhz on my 3080 ti with the same or slightly higher Timespy score than stock but massively less power draw and lower temperatures.

Limiting the power target is certainly easier, but you get more performance per watt with an undervolt curve.

Maybe that was my mistake, I did the curve scan and wanted to cap it (according to some guide) but that doesn't work too well, as you can't save/restore the original curve etc. I guess on an empty curve you just have to set the voltage/frequency point you want. I'll check that out, thx.

Associate
Cool, I genuinely didnt know that. On here though being enthusiasts, it would go down as a better card just because its a Ti, or at least that's what you are led to believe. Rather much like the 3080Ti which to me made more sense to either stick with a regular 3080FE or if you must have absolute best power get the 3090FE which were both released in Autumn last year.

Yes, that GDDR6x doesn't do much for 3070 ti except pump power consumption up. I'm sure it'd give you a big boost on hashrate if it wasn't limited. So they made a miner's edition of 3070 and gimped mining on it :rolleyes:

Associate
So, yes, after another look at the Afterburner curve editor, without doing the long OC scan, I had success as well. The key bit that was bothering me before was how to flatten the rest of the curve from your max voltage/clock position, without having to fiddle with each dot one by one.

The answer is that you must select all dots after that point (click + drag holding shift) and then drag all of them BELOW the set point. When you hit apply after that, the rest of the curve will flatten to match the largest frequency spot. Do note that your setpoint may go down a little bit because the editor wants to smoothen the curve for you so you may have to set (and apply) it another time to get what you wanted.

After a bit of fiddling, with my 3070 FE I settled for 900mV, 1875MHz and +800MHz ram clock, which takes about 210W max. That's not yet battle tested so we'll see how it handles Cyberpunk.. In any case that gives an improvement in Port Royale over cranking power target to 109% and adding +100 to GPU clock, with less power drain / noise.

Associate
So, yes, after another look at the Afterburner curve editor, without doing the long OC scan, I had success as well. The key bit that was bothering me before was how to flatten the rest of the curve from your max voltage/clock position, without having to fiddle with each dot one by one.

The answer is that you must select all dots after that point (click + drag holding shift) and then drag all of them BELOW the set point. When you hit apply after that, the rest of the curve will flatten to match the largest frequency spot. Do note that your setpoint may go down a little bit because the editor wants to smoothen the curve for you so you may have to set (and apply) it another time to get what you wanted.

After a bit of fiddling, with my 3070 FE I settled for 900mV, 1875MHz and +800MHz ram clock, which takes about 210W max. That's not yet battle tested so we'll see how it handles Cyberpunk.. In any case that gives an improvement in Port Royale over cranking power target to 109% and adding +100 to GPU clock, with less power drain / noise.

Glad you figured it out. I find a TimeSpy run is a quick way to find instability.

Associate
When it comes to coil whine / overclocking instability etc give the new card 24hr running benchmarks let bed in. When you get your new card you probably want to paly a few games to see what it is like but when you go to bed or work leave it looping your favourite benchmark . get some heat build up on and around that Gpu.

Associate
Glad you figured it out. I find a TimeSpy run is a quick way to find instability.

I used Port Royale as apparently RTX cores are somewhat more sensitive. Cyberpunk is good for hammering GPU too ;)

In any case, if you don't do the OC scan, you can always reset the curve to default if you mess up. One thing the OC scan woul be useful for is that you should (at least theoretically) find out what clock each voltage can realistically support.

Soldato
just received replacement 3080FE wasnt expecting it to be delivered today, sent first one back on Tuesday for coil whine very impressed with the speed of the turnaround 5 days.. still getting coil whine but doesnt seem as bad just have to accept it with side panel on and under volting should improve it

Soldato
Nice to see people getting GPU's, though still mind boggling that some have been without a 3080/3090 for a year after launch!

Only a few months before the 4080 16GB is announced, which is twice as fast as a 3090 with 250W TDP :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nice to see people getting GPU's, though still mind boggling that some have been without a 3080/3090 for a year after launch!

Only a few months before the 4080 16GB is announced, which is twice as fast as a 3090 with 250W TDP :D

About another 12 months in all likelihood.

Back
Top Bottom