• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Not sure if it's my understanding of Gsync/Freesync/VRR that is the problem (most likely) but from my limited understanding, if the screen does 180Hz and my game is sat at 220-230 fps, it should be butter smooth correct?

There would be tearing in above situation since monitor is no longer able to keep up - you sure that is not what you're seeing ?

Associate
There would be tearing in above situation since monitor is no longer able to keep up - you sure that is not what you're seeing ?

It's definitely possible. Am I correct in thinking that if it's tearing, the screen would look almost like its slightly misaligned between top and bottom for a second but even with that "tear" in the image it still moves smoothly?? Mine doesn't seem to be doing that, it's more like the entire image appears juddery (I can't think of an appropriate word to describe it).

I should have stuck to my Super Famicom. :D:D

Associate
So I received mine early today. It has replaced a 6800XT and so far I'm noticing a marginal performance increase in Warzone, Rise of The Tomb Raider and Halo. Immediately did the undervolt to 850mV at 1800 and it sits around 62-65 degrees in games.

I'm still having my ongoing issue of anything above the refresh rate of the monitor (27GP850-B 180Hz) becomes choppy/stuttery. It's not screen tearing, it feels more like really low fps even though it can be sat at 220-230 fps. So my issue must lie elsewhere. Not sure if it's my understanding of Gsync/Freesync/VRR that is the problem (most likely) but from my limited understanding, if the screen does 180Hz and my game is sat at 220-230 fps, it should be butter smooth correct?

Could a motherboard be a cause of my problems? It's a MSI Tomahawk MAG Wifi with a 5800X.

You are outside the V-sync range of your monitor which is 180fps so will be tearing at anything above , you have 2 options .... 1 is buy a new monitor with a higher refresh rate window so something like 1440p @ 240hz or other option is enable V-sync or your current monitor which will stop it going over 180fps ... if you then enable low reflex mode in warzone your framerate will be capped at around 165fps on your current monitor but will be butter smooth with no tearing at all.

Soldato
I ordered on the latest drop, was going for a 3060ti but they had gone instantly, so got a 3070 instead. Was due Monday but it just arrived!

Should be a nice step up, had a 970gtx but gave it to a relative who's GPU broke before Christmas, so been on integrated gfx over the holiday which wasn't much fun!

Soldato
It's definitely possible. Am I correct in thinking that if it's tearing, the screen would look almost like its slightly misaligned between top and bottom for a second but even with that "tear" in the image it still moves smoothly?? Mine doesn't seem to be doing that, it's more like the entire image appears juddery (I can't think of an appropriate word to describe it).

I should have stuck to my Super Famicom. :D:D
:p

Could be that because the refresh rate is so high that its hard to see the individual tear lines since they are on screen for such a short window but the overall smoothness is ruined. I game on a 120Hz screen and it looks way smoother sub 120 where the VRR is enabled :)

Soldato
Just offloaded my 3070fe to cex. I stupidly hesitated when it was £800 + a few weeks back. £667 quid is OK though. I'll get another gpu down when I feel there's a need for one. In the meantime my xbox does everything I need.

Soldato
Hesitating selling to CEX wasn't the stupid part :D.

They gave me £1040 or so for one a few month ago. Wish id sold both at that point.

They were easy to deal with to be honest. I know ebay can get more money but it's higher risk and faff. I walked into cex, dropped card off and within an hour they authorised payment. Can't argue with that.

Associate
By undervolting you'll (probably) be extending its like.

Take a look at the video I posted earlier on in this thread, it takes all of 60 +- seconds to do!

Been doing a bit of reading up (went back quite a few pages couldnt find vid) but am I correct in thinking based off what I have seen that any changes are saved onto the gpu itself and not just a profile that can be defaulted to off if something goes wrong and you have to hit the reset switch or close msi afterburner down?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The undervolt is saved within Afterburner, so AB has to send that profile to the GPU when it loads hence why you also need to press the start with windows button so AB does exactly that. I set it to minimised in the tray and all is well.

If you ever need to stop AB from loading because you set something really askew and Windows doesn't load properly or something (highly unlikely) then just hold CTRL during logon and Windows will skip launching user startup apps.

Back
Top Bottom