• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
If the RTX 3080 12GB card releases soon, looks set to be a pretty well rounded GPU, with more VRAM and wider memory bus, but with higher power usage.

But I think I'll still hope to buy a RTX 3080 FE (10GB) at £650, will these still be available?

Soldato
Because there is a demand for cards with over 8GB of VRAM (which is why AMD offers 16GB RDNA2 cards). Not fussed myself, as GFX cards with extra VRAM aren't usually priced for value.

I'd rather not get into a big debate about VRAM amounts tbh, I'm sure that's a topic that's been done to death.

It's possible the 12GB variant could be targeted to compete against the RX 6900XT, since the performance of the RTX 3080 (10GB) is only a bit behind it.

I'd guess the RTX 3080 FE with 12GB will cost about another £200, so £850, roughly in-between the price of the RTX 3080 (10GB) and RTX 3080 TI. The mining performance is reportedly higher, so that can't be good for prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol my Seasonic Prime TX-650 is around £200 on certain website. What is this madness? Think it only cost me £90 cause it was on offer on the same website.

It can only do 54 Amps on the 12v rail, would be interesting to know how many amps the RTX 3080 actually requires (assuming no overclocking).

Soldato
Lol my Seasonic Prime TX-650 is around £200 on certain website. What is this madness? Think it only cost me £90 cause it was on offer on the same website.

It can only do 54 Amps on the 12v rail, would be interesting to know how many amps the RTX 3080 actually requires (assuming no overclocking).
Not 54 amps, I pull around 500W from the wall gaming on a watercooled 5900x, 3080 system.

Soldato
Cheers, appreciate the info. sounds like it's worth a try if I can even get one.

They should design graphics cards to use a dedicated power supply rail, it would make so much sense in terms of recommending power supplies for graphics cards... They could recommend a PSU with a 50A or 60A rail for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because there is a demand for cards with over 8GB of VRAM (which is why AMD offers 16GB RDNA2 cards). Not fussed myself, as GFX cards with extra VRAM aren't usually priced for value.

I'd rather not get into a big debate about VRAM amounts tbh, I'm sure that's a topic that's been done to death.

It's possible the 12GB variant could be targeted to compete against the RX 6900XT, since the performance of the RTX 3080 (10GB) is only a bit behind it.

I'd guess the RTX 3080 FE with 12GB will cost about another £200, so £850, roughly in-between the price of the RTX 3080 (10GB) and RTX 3080 TI. The mining performance is reportedly higher, so that can't be good for prices.

it could be LHR so not as fast as the FHR card

Associate
So I lucked out and managed to acquire a 3080 FE this week. Much how I remember when I used to have a 3070 FE, the fans make a "hiss" at low RPM as evidenced in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nWyfdMcYI

I'm fairly pedantic because I strive for a very quiet ITX build. Have you guys found this sound goes away / you stop caring / don't notice it? It makes me want to try trading the card for an AIB.

Cheers

Associate
Good news in terms of the RTX 3080 FE 10GB not being replaced with a more expensive model then, I suppose?

but will Nvidia bother to sell the 10gb FE version anymore? The 12gb can’t really be that much more expensive to build but the leaked prices are a big jump.

Soldato
but will Nvidia bother to sell the 10gb FE version anymore? The 12gb can’t really be that much more expensive to build but the leaked prices are a big jump.

Won't be 12gb FE version its only AIB , how great does the 3080fe 10gb look at £650 I always think they'll stop but they still dropping them

Soldato
So I lucked out and managed to acquire a 3080 FE this week. Much how I remember when I used to have a 3070 FE, the fans make a "hiss" at low RPM as evidenced in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nWyfdMcYI

I'm fairly pedantic because I strive for a very quiet ITX build. Have you guys found this sound goes away / you stop caring / don't notice it? It makes me want to try trading the card for an AIB.

Cheers

Luckily nothing at all like that on my 3080 Ti.

Back
Top Bottom