• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Do you reckon the existence of the RTX 3070 TI means that the price of RTX 3080 third party cards will never be near RRP? E.g. around £650-£700?

Wonder if they will still do many RTX 3080 FE drops in the UK, it's been about 2 months now.

I'd guess they always wait until they reach a certain threshold when dropping an FE model, maybe they are going to sell more cards directly to third party manufacturers from now on?

Last edited:
Soldato
Gone quiet here in the last couple of weeks. Anyone still waiting to but an RTX 3080 or TI?

Or are some now waiting for the RTX 4000 series?

I wonder if RDNA 3 will launch alongside Zen 4 CPUs?

Last edited:
Associate
Id still like a 3060ti or 3070fe at msrp... its been very quiet on the drop front though.

While 4000 series is coming, ive read the flagships are usually out first, so it might still be a while before the 4070, 4060 cards arrive.

Id have a 3080 at msrp, but its a bit overkill for me. Im gaming at 1080p at the moment, and by the time that changes, we would have moved on a few gens at least.

Soldato
Won't they very likely be bumping up the RRPs on the RTX 4000 series? Why wouldn't they do this? The RTX 3000 series FE cards generally easily sold out.

I think they generally set the RRPs a bit too low, and probably regretted it for the RTX 3000 series (not surprising that the number of RTX 3080 FEs produced has been so low).

See the gap in the RRP price between the RTX 3080 and RTX 3080 TI (which released much later)? It's pretty large, for around 10-11% difference in performance.

Also, they never allowed any pre-orders for FE models, not because they couldn't do this, but because they knew it would likely badly hurt sales of 3rd party cards.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Id still like a 3060ti or 3070fe at msrp... its been very quiet on the drop front though.

While 4000 series is coming, ive read the flagships are usually out first, so it might still be a while before the 4070, 4060 cards arrive.

Id have a 3080 at msrp, but its a bit overkill for me. Im gaming at 1080p at the moment, and by the time that changes, we would have moved on a few gens at least.

Didn't you hear, the 3080 is trash, 10gb just isn't enough, even for 1080P......

;) :p :D

3000 series is old news now, anyone who wanted one should have been able to source it by now. 4000 series and RDNA 3 will be where it’s at now.

This.

A rather large amount of RT was added to chernobylite there and whilst performance is "good" on ampere with dlss.... personally for myself, I want a constant 100 fps on my 3440x1440 144hz display using dlss quality, which no gpu has enough grunt for, when the next gen cards come and even more RT effects get added, it's only going to get worse. Of course I could be sensible and drop rasterization settings from ultra to high and maybe 1 or 2 RT settings down a notch but then where is the fun in that! :D

Won't they very likely be bumping up the RRPs on the RTX 4000 series? Why wouldn't they do this? The RTX 3000 series FE cards generally easily sold out.

I think they generally set the RRPs a bit too low, and probably regretted it for the RTX 3000 series (not surprisingly the number of RTX 3080 FEs produced has been so low).

See the gap in the RRP price between the RTX 3080 and RTX 3080 TI (which released much later)? It's pretty large, for not a massive difference in performance.

Also, they never allowed any pre-orders for FE models, not because they couldn't do this, but because they knew it would likely badly hurt sales of 3rd party cards.

It's pretty much guaranteed they will be given the cost of everything else in life has gone up. My limit is £750 for 4080/RDNA 3 equivalent, maybe £800 if it is really worth it and depending on how much I can get for my 3080.

This is where people who have overpaid are going to feel it the most, where as the ones who all got cards at MSRP will not be bothered/effected that much i.e. they won't make as much of a loss or could even potentially be in profit depending on how demand, supply etc. all looks.....

Soldato
I want a constant 100 fps on my 3440x1440 144hz display using dlss quality, which no gpu has enough grunt for

Why? What difference does it make? Never found it make much difference over 60 (as long as the minimum framerates are good), still the same game. Feels slightly smoother at 70 FPS, but it makes no difference to gameplay.

Caporegime
Why? What difference does it make? Never found it make much difference over 60 (as long as the minimum framerates are good), still the same game. Feels slightly smoother at 70 FPS, but it makes no difference to gameplay.

All subjective, personally I can notice the difference, especially on oled where pixel response time is instantaneous so stuttering can/will be more apparent, there are various factors to this and tolerations though i.e.

- the type of game, I'm not bothered about high fps for slow paced games
- if using controller, high fps doesn't matter as much since it smooths out the camera panning etc. where as when using m+K, any kind of stutters/fps drops are much more noticeable especially for FPS

Of course a locked 60 is perfectly good and what I use often when gaming on the TV but it is pretty obvious when you go back and forth from 60 to 144/175HZ, ufotest shows a pretty accurate representation imo:

https://www.testufo.com/framerates-...irection=rtl&framerate=60&compare=2&showfps=1

I find the biggest advantage is simply that my eyes don't get fatigued/strained/tired as quickly when gaming at higher fps. When I had the ps 4 pro, gaming at 30 fps was unbearable, you can deal with it but after a hour, my eyes were strained big time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This.

A rather large amount of RT was added to chernobylite there and whilst performance is "good" on ampere with dlss.... personally for myself, I want a constant 100 fps on my 3440x1440 144hz display using dlss quality, which no gpu has enough grunt for, when the next gen cards come and even more RT effects get added, it's only going to get worse. Of course I could be sensible and drop rasterization settings from ultra to high and maybe 1 or 2 RT settings down a notch but then where is the fun in that! :D
I am still content with 60fps, though I set the fps cap to 72 in recent games I have been playing which feels plenty smooth to me. Only one I have capped to 140 is CSS GO.

I have not really stopped to experiment to see how I feel between 60, 72, 100, 120, 140, 170fps which I intend to do at some point.

Soldato
I find the biggest advantage is simply that my eyes don't get fatigued/strained/tired as quickly when gaming at higher fps. When I had the ps 4 pro, gaming at 30 fps was unbearable, you can deal with it but after a hour, my eyes were strained big time.

Can't say I've had that problem, but it seems like a good reason to play at a higher framerate. I wonder how much of this is related to the refresh rate and response time of monitors?

I am someone who can suffer from motion sickness if I try to read or don't look in the direction of travel when in a vehicle. Weirdly, strong smells and high temperature seem to make this worse, and tiredness also. So, it seems likely that VR headsets would have a similar effect.

I'd become used to playing some games on the PS One at around 20 FPS, what's interesting about this is that sometimes a lower framerate can change the feel of a game (and the perceived difficulty), not necessarily in a way that seems detrimental. Some of this would be related to the design also, for example how long a character animation takes, before accepting new inputs.

Last edited:
Associate
I started playing warzone during lockdown. I did all i can to get the frame rate up, and i find it helped quite a bit, though im still hopeless.

I played metro last light redux the other week. I initially had it running uncapped it was running over 300 fps. Bit of a waste i thought so i put vsync on. It felt awful at 60hz... dunno if it was just this game or what, but i had to switch back again.

Other games, i dont see much difference at all.

I even prefer using windows at 144hz over 60.

Associate
I wonder if RDNA 3 will launch alongside Zen 4 CPUs?

Both are supposed to be launched this year. I guess staggering the launches would make it easier to manage but no reason they couldn't be launched together if they are both out this year, AMD RDNA 3 Release Date, Price And Specs [Apr. 2022 ] (gpumag.com)

It also depends if AMD are pushing to beat Nvidia in sales of the next gen gpu. I have heard that AMD want to get the middle range 7000 series out first as they are easier to design and it will poach sales from Nvidia in the bigger market segment. That in turn might push nvidia to move up the release of the 4060 class of card

Soldato

I wish I could share @TNA optimism about getting a 4070 within 1 month of launch. :p He well might do but at what cost is the unknown variable...

With the effects of the pandemic and rising cost of living and inflation not fully behind us for maybe a couple of years and the added destabilising effect of the 'Special Operation' in Ukraine, I can see any 4000 launch predictions being pushed back and the very good msrp prices that many got with the 3070/3080 being a thing of the past. The one saving grace is that we have competition in the form of AMD.

Getting a 4070 which turns out to faster than a 3090 for ~£550 would be great but I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wish I could share @TNA optimism about getting a 4070 within 1 month of launch. :p He well might do but at what cost is the unknown variable...

With the effects of the pandemic and rising cost of living and inflation not fully behind us for maybe a couple of years and the added destabilising effect of the 'Special Operation' in Ukraine, I can see any 4000 launch predictions being pushed back and the very good msrp prices that many got with the 3070/3080 being a thing of the past. The one saving grace is that we have competition in the form of AMD.

Getting a 4070 which turns out to faster than a 3090 for ~£550 would be great but I'll believe it when I see it. ;)
Haha. Yeah, I can totally understand the scepticism. I will probably try for a 4080 FE first as they will likely come out a little earlier like last time, if no luck keep looking for both a 4070/80 FE. Hopefully will be able to grab one of the two within the first few drop's.

I am hoping for a release sometime this year, but can easily see it slipping due to as you say the state of the world.

As for 3090 performance for that price, I would not be surprised. We got 2080 Ti performance for £469 did we not? We got Titan performance with the 1070 did new not? :)

They are moving up quite a bit with the manufacturer process so it should be easy to do if they chose to.

Soldato
As for 3090 performance for that price, I would not be surprised. We got 2080 Ti performance for £469 did we not? We got Titan performance with the 1070 did new not? :)

They are moving up quite a bit with the manufacturer process so it should be easy to do if they chose to.
We did indeed, though we also got the previous generation with the ~33% improvement of the 1080TI to 2080TI but that came with the price increase from ~£700 to ~ £1100. I really hope you are correct and at least the msrp pricing follows fairly closely the 3000 series pricing. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We did indeed, though we also got the previous generation with the ~33% improvement of the 1080TI to 2080TI but that came with the price increase from ~£700 to ~ £1100. I really hope you are correct and at least the msrp pricing follows fairly closely the 3000 series pricing. :)
AMD was far behind at the time so Nvidia got away with that and it was also their first gen RTX stuff. My understanding is AMD will be bringing it this time around so nvidia better up their game and not get complacent :)

Soldato
I suppose getting a RTX 3070 FE for £470 did seem like a good deal, particularly just before it's launch when the RTX 2080 TI was considered to be an amazing graphics card, with similar performance to the RTX 3070.

Associate
I suppose getting a RTX 3070 FE for £470 did seem like a good deal, particularly just before it's launch when the RTX 2080 TI was considered to be an amazing graphics card, with similar performance to the RTX 3070.
It still is a good deal really. While OCUK did have one close to msrp, its now £90 more expensive than an FE. 3080s are still way off MSRP and 3060ti, which at MSRP are the best bang for buck of them all, is still £120 over MSRP.

Although the next gen card are "coming soon" we have no idea how long it will be before one is sub £500, which might be 4060 as the 4070 might be well over the £469 of the 3070. or what its actual selling price will be. Unless the prices all come down to MSRP or below before the the 40 series comes along, no way will it come at MSRP, except for maybe the FE cards. If it does happen, they will be constantly sold out anyway, so we will still be in the same situation. Unless AMD really bring it in the low/mid range, it make sense for NVIDIA to bring out the high end stuff first, which i certainly cant justify, then their mid range cards could be a long way off yet.

I'd buy a 3070 or a 3060ti at MSRP now if i could. But only because my current card still has a decent value to it. Though in my case, i'll be gaming at 1080p for a while yet, so a 3070 will do me fine for a few years. if your 4k gaming, you'd be looking at a higher range card anyway i guess, so it makes more sense to wait for what the future brings.

Associate
Tempted to sell my 3080FE now I have a spare 2070 and just bank the money until the 4xxx cards come out..
why... hasnt the arse fallen out of 2nd hand now?
If you wanted to profit from the 3080fe, I think that boat has sailed.

Id keep the card. You never know when 4xxx will launch, what performance will be or what pricing / availability will be like.
Don't get burned like the folks that sold 2080Ti's before the 30xx launch and then couldn't get a card for months.

You be dropping a fair amount of performance going to a 2070, all to then try get more performance again with a 4xxx card?
Why not just keep the 3080FE. Its probably going to be all the card you need for a couple years yet. Maybe more if you drop some settings.
Upgrading every generation is rarely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom