• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
why... hasnt the arse fallen out of 2nd hand now?
If you wanted to profit from the 3080fe, I think that boat has sailed.

Id keep the card. You never know when 4xxx will launch, what performance will be or what pricing / availability will be like.
Don't get burned like the folks that sold 2080Ti's before the 30xx launch and then couldn't get a card for months.

You be dropping a fair amount of performance going to a 2070, all to then try get more performance again with a 4xxx card?
Why not just keep the 3080FE. Its probably going to be all the card you need for a couple years yet. Maybe more if you drop some settings.
Upgrading every generation is rarely worth it.
I agree with everything you said except the last bit. Well worth upgrading every gen. Do it right and costs are minimal and you get to have something new and shiny with drivers that get all the optimisations.

Associate
3000 series is old news now, anyone who wanted one should have been able to source it by now. 4000 series and RDNA 3 will be where it’s at now.

Not everyone. I’ve wanted a 3080FE ever since I first saw them, I love the look of them and it would be a great upgrade to my 1080Ti. If there was another drop right now and I managed to snag one I’d be overjoyed. But yeah, I can’t help feeling that it’s too late in the product cycle to be spending on a 3080 now.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't think gfx cards are built to last (quite different to CPUs), makes sense to sell them every few years and replace.

Since when? Lots of people are still using pretty old cards. The 10xx series came out in 2016 odd so that’s 6 years ago and that is still pretty popular. A card like a 1080Ti is still very capable.

Soldato
It depends on usage, I think. Heavy gaming and mining can reduce lifespan quite quickly (depending on power usage and heat levels). There was a study done recently that showed degradation in graphics card memory controllers after just a few months of intense mining. This lead to an increase in the number of read errors. I think there can also be a gradual reduction in GPU clock speeds over time too.

So, people should be a bit wary about buying used cards that released more than a year ago in my view.

I've had AMD cards that have failed after just 3-4 years. So, it could be a bit different for Nvidia GPUs.

Another important point, is that Nvidia's reference models seem to last longer than than AIB cards, not too surprising I suppose. Data here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=72208&width=800

No info about AMD cards though....

I agree with you about the GTX 1000 series, they're great cards still. Nvidia seemed to know this in subsequent launches. My brother has a GTX 1080 that he got for £440, probably about 5-6 years ago and it's still coping with most games at 1080p. With any luck, he will be able to buy something that offers about a 100% increase in performance, with the upcoming 'Ampere Next' cards. I would guess that the RTX 4070 would be a good bet. I think the next generation of cards will also offer much more worthwhile raytracing performance too. Easily ahead of the RTX 3090 TI.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Since when? Lots of people are still using pretty old cards. The 10xx series came out in 2016 odd so that’s 6 years ago and that is still pretty popular. A card like a 1080Ti is still very capable.

Indeed. I give my old cards away to friends. The 980Ti and 1080Ti are still doing very well.
690 went pop a while back though :(

Man of Honour
Only recent(ish) nVidia cards I've seen having longer term failures really are Kepler based - I know several people whose GTX780 died after 3-4 years of good use, 690s as above don't seem to last forever either, my 780GHZ needs a voltage bump these days to hold clocks it used to do fine albeit I don't use it much any more or it might have died by now.

Soldato
Soldato
Looks like Germany is still getting RTX 3080 FEs, there was a drop earlier today.

I wonder if Europe is going to get most/ all the FE drops from now on?

Associate
I noticed that too. Ive seen the spreadsheet with the europe drops on, ive not seen any data on fe drops from elsewhere in the world.

I had wondered if we would see any more of the lower cost FE cards, or if it would be just the higher end stuff but this looks promising. If you have big money to spend, its probably worth waiting now, but a 3060ti or a 3070 at msrp still makes sense to me, as the next gen cards at sub £500 are probably a way off yet, and we still dont know what the supply and price hiking will be like

Soldato
Doesn't matter if it's a cheap card (or card that has lost it's selling value), you can just wait for it to eventually fail, then replace it. That's basically what most non gamers /casual users do.

These days though, even the mid tier 2060/3060s aren't cheap either. Apparently, changing the name scheme from GTX > RTX makes all the difference.

I didn't mention warranties either, but my experience is, the cards tend to fail a few months or a year after the warranty period ;)

If I had a RTX 3050, don't think I'd worry too much though about longevity, especially if I got one for ~£250.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom