• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Reactions: VB6
Soldato
Is the RTX 3080 FE design better, in terms of durability / lifespan?

If I run a RTX 3080 at a high fan speeds under load, will this increase the chance of the card lasting a long time?

Or setting a power limit?

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, hoping to be able to do this. If temps GPU / mem temps are over 80 under load, is that anything to be concerned about?
Just undervolt it. It’ll be better for the environment, your pocket and card itself. And games will run the same or even better as you will end up with more stable clocks.

Soldato
How about setting the temperature target to 80 Celsius, in Geforce Experience?

I might just try turning up the fans first, if that is enough to reduce the GPU and VRAM temps.

Caporegime
How about setting the temperature target to 80 Celsius, in Geforce Experience?

I might just try turning up the fans first, if that is enough to reduce the GPU and VRAM temps.

An undervolt is the way to go. You'll get the same performance as stock but with substantially less heat and power (and quieter too).

It's really easy to do, takes a couple of minutes in afetrburner.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Will that have any affect on the VRAM temps, or just the core temp?

Can I just use Geforce Experience to undervolt?

Soldato
Memory temps will go over 80C and be perfectly normal. Junction temps higher.

Now if your core temp is going over 80C, I wouldn't be messing around with undervolting as a first step. I'd be looking at your case fan cooling arrangement for why the gpu is getting that hot. The FE cooler is good enough to keep the core cooler than 80C, as long as your case cooling is setup correctly.

I've got a 3090FE, and when under heavy continuous loads it doesn't get above 70C while being overclocked, and running at 117% power limit. This is with gpu fan speeds at 50%.

Permabanned
If you are just gaming, you dont need to worry about vram/junction temperatures. They get hot, its fine.

Do undervolt though, minimal difference to performance but cooler and quieter with less power draw.

As mentioned above, make sure case fans are doing a good job though.

Back
Top Bottom