32-36" monitor recommendation

Associate
Asking for advice please from the experts here for a new monitor. A few requirements/thoughts below:

Budget: £800, could stretch a bit more.

Purpose: Work daily, and some gaming. Don't need super-fast refresh rates as I'm not competitive and don't often play FPS - mostly Elite and Star Citizen (so blacks are important), Total War and similar. Bit of FPS getting humiliated by my lad.

Size: I can fit up to a 36" monitor, though doesn't need to be that big. 32" or 34" could be the sweetspot.

Resolution: 4k is nice and my GPU could cope, but 1440p or whatever is fine and it might keep Windows happier, or make running dual monitors easier?

G-Sync: Yes

Curved or flat: Not sure. Never had a curved monitor, and I guess I'd prefer a flat screen but open to advice.

Screen technology: Advice welcome. I've always used IPS but I'm well out of date on all this.

Other stuff: I appreciate solid build quality. Currently use an NEC which is built like a tank.

Contenders: Alienware AW3420DW? An LG jobbie?

All advice gratefully appreciated!

Last edited:
Soldato
For work 4K resolution would be very good.
Unfortunately high refresh rate capable 4K monitor choise is awfully limited and 32" models are still in paper release stage.
In 2560x1440 there are some choises in 32" like this Asus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7eoD00iwKM

If you prefer darkened room, then VA panel would give best looking dark content image. (though even less 4K models in those)
Again if you have about normal room illumination, then IPS works fine and guarantees consistent response times.
99% of VAs simply struggle in dark transitions in comparison:
https://youtu.be/34bqY7CToHg?t=318

Soldato
Considering high refresh is not an essential attribute £800 should buy you a very good 34 inch ultrawide.
Your options do narrow somewhat if G-Sync is a must. Does it need to be physical G-Sync ‘ultimate’ or would a Freesync monitor with G-Sync compatibility do?
At that size and aspect ratio I would personally recommend a curve but others will differ. I’m not a massive fan of curved monitors in general - I think the 27 inch curved units are an abomination however for an ultrawide I think it helps - but it’s certainly not a deal breaker. I currently have the Z35P which is curved and I couldn’t imagine using a monitor this wide that didn’t have a curve.
Panel wise I have been in the same conundrum myself, however, I believe if you can afford an IPS panel then you should get one - unless , like some, IPS glow is a real turn off.
When you say good blacks then VA is your friend there however it’s a catch-22 as although blacks appear much better there is always going to be some form of ghosting or smearing during transitions which again annoys some people much more than others. I don’t really notice it myself but I only play racing games and I don’t think the effect is all that pronounced in those.
The other downside of VA is gamma shift which is very noticeable no matter who you are. As with TN it’s generally fine if you’re straight on to the screen but even then it can be prevalent.
Funny you should mention the AW3420DW as I just purchased one this week - to be delivered on Monday all being well. I can let you know how I get on if it’s of any use.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@EsaT
Thanks, yes I reckon 4k is a bit much at this stage. If I could fit it I'd go straight for the 48" LG OLED, but def won't fit in my office.

My office is light in summer (another reason not to go OLED) so sounds like IPS is the way to go.

@GMac11
Would def be interested in your views on the AW3420 yes. To be honest it is looking like a toss-up between this and the Z35p at this point. Not sure about the curve as I said, but that's probably lack of experience.

Cheers all!

Soldato
Not sure about the curve as I said, but that's probably lack of experience.
Do you work with graphics design etc which depends on geometry of image?
In that case anything more than light curve could cause annoying distortion.
Heck, I wouldn't wonder any if Samsung's "marketroids sitting their arses on panels" super curved models would make even text look bad.

As for monitor sized don't believe too much that "super/ultra wide" hype.
That's marketing BS for what's in reality ultra low screen.
Those 34" 21:9s have image height at level of smallish 27" 16:9!
Even actual surface area of image is smaller than in 32" 16:9 despite of bigger marketing size.
https://www.displaywars.com/32-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

So for good immersion/field of view coverage they need to be watched from closer.
Being not two dimension/flat surface games Elite and Star Citizen would certainly benefit from good vertical coverage of field of view.

And unless liking the idea of paying extra to get ball and chain locked into your ankle for marriage to always paying Nvidia's prices get FreeSync monitor.
It doesn't limit graphics card choises with variable refresh rate working with any GPU, including coming Intel discrete GPUs.

Those wider than 16:9 IPSes are already rarer and expensive enough.
BenQ 34" MOBIUZ EX3415R 3440x1440 IPS 144HZ 1ms FreeSync Ultra-wide Curved Gaming Monitor= £898.99
LG 34GN850 34" 3440x1440 NANO IPS 160Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Widescreen LED Curved Backlit Gaming Mon= £969.95
Though number of VA panels is lot higher and prices lower.

16:9 IPSses are better priced.
ASUS ROG Swift 32" PG329Q 2560x1440 IPS 175Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible LED Backlit Gaming Moni= £698.99
Gigabyte Aorus 32" FI32Q 2560x1440 SS IPS 165Hz 1ms A-Sync LED Backlit Widescreen Gaming Monitor= £739.99

Soldato
And unless liking the idea of paying extra to get ball and chain locked into your ankle for marriage to always paying Nvidia's prices get FreeSync monitor.
I don’t believe this is strictly correct any longer. Nvidia upgraded firmware on their gsync modules to allow adaptive sync support for AMD cards.
Admittedly this information is quite difficult to come by on Google but many users report this is the case. The AW3420DW is one of those monitors apparently. Unfortunately I have an nvidia card so can’t test this myself.

Associate
OP
@EsaT that's extremely helpful, thanks. I think I'm veering toward a flat 32" 16:9. As long as G-sync compatible really means that, that is fine by me. Will take a look at the monitors you linked to.

@GMac11 I haven't ruled out the AW34 so interested in your view when you get it.

Not bothered about speakers as I use external ones.

Soldato
@EsaT that's extremely helpful, thanks. I think I'm veering toward a flat 32" 16:9. As long as G-sync compatible really means that, that is fine by me. Will take a look at the monitors you linked to.
Basically all good FreeSync monitors of the last couple years work perfectly with Nvidia cards.
Some older (usually cheap model) FreeSync monitors have issues, but many of those models weren't exactly problem free with AMD cards either.

Permabanned
I pre-ordered the LG 32GP850-B, 32" 1440p with up to 180Hz IPS, to pair with a 3080. My eyesight isn't the best and 27" 1440p was taking its toll at arms length. I play all sorts of games and watch TV/movies/youtube, but my main use is coding, which I don't think I'd be happy doing on a curved panel. So the LG looked to be the best of what's available at the moment.

I'm still open to other suggestions :)

Associate
OP
@Wrinkly - Really useful. That's a contender.

I've narrowed it down to a few, and one of them is a bit left-field:
LG 32GP850 thanks to @Wrinkly
LG 27GP950 - will 4k at 27" be ok?
Asus PG329Q - thanks @EsaT
Benq PD3200U - the left-field option. 32" 4K, a few years old but solid and very well-received. Slow by gaming standards at 60Hz and 4ms, and obviously no G-sync or anything, but no doubt fast enough for me. And ergonomics will be better than the LGs - for a start the ports are on the bottom where they should be!!

Any thoughts?

Soldato

Not without resorting to Windows Font scaling IMO. Personally I'd recommend a 32" 16:9 monitor as it's more immersive for space sim games. 27" is too small IMO unless you're running a multi monitor setup.

1440p will be fine but even at 32" I think a 4k monitor would require scaling to make smaller text legible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on viewing distance.
Because physical size is only part of equation and viewing distance affects equally much to how much of field of view monitor covers/how big image looks.

If 32" monitor is at distance of 70cm IIRC 27" monitor would need 58-59cm distance to show as equally big.
Here's calculator to toy around with:
http://www.1728.org/angsize.htm

Associate
OP
After much reading around, I'm leaning towards the Acer Predator XB32U or 27 inch equivalent. In fact, it looks like I can get two of the 27 inches for the price of the 32....

Caporegime
Asus PG329Q

I have the PG329Q here and whilst it's extremely responsive and a great gaming screen I think you'll need a deeper contrast than these IPS screens offer (I'm not so fussed so it's fine). Excellent for gaming generally though, so so responsive!!

The XB32U is the same panel as the Asus, again I'm just not sure it's going to go dark enough for you...

Associate
OP
I have the PG329Q here and whilst it's extremely responsive and a great gaming screen I think you'll need a deeper contrast than these IPS screens offer (I'm not so fussed so it's fine). Excellent for gaming generally though, so so responsive!!

The XB32U is the same panel as the Asus, again I'm just not sure it's going to go dark enough for you...
Thanks, I get your point. Is prefer deeper blacks/higher contrast for sure, but I think I'll be ok. Currently play on an IPS screen with contrast set actually quite low (screen calibrated for editing photos) so I'll see the difference I think even with a gaming focused IPS. For preference I'd use an OLED telly, can't beat perfect blacks, but I can't fit one.

First choice still the XB32U but I still welcome suggestions.

Also considering a G7 but really not sure about the curve.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited:
Soldato
Also considering a G7 but really not sure about the curve.
That curve is like step short of fisheye lens level distortion, but to opposite "pincushion" direction.
https://youtu.be/go1qsBetgV0?t=255
If Samsung had sticked to usual moderate 1800 radius curve, it would be darn good monitor with that high VA contrast. (and basically no VA "black smear")
But marketroids dropped their fat ****** arses on it bending it double.

Acer XB323U has high AdobeRGB coverage, so it would be very good for photo editing capable to showing all colours of CMYK printing.

Associate
OP
Thanks @JediFragger and @EsaT, the G7 is not for me then, sadly. Has to be a flat screen. Looking like the Acer or possibly the 32GP850 for a cheaper option. I'm following this forum in the meantime in case any of the UW users convince me!

I'm keeping my NEC PA271 for photo editing and as a second screen.

I'll wait for the 4k market to mature before going that way I think.

Back
Top Bottom