32GB 3600 to 32GB 4000…waste of time?

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Currently got an itch to upgrade given I’ve not really had anything to upgrade for a year or so now.

For £240, I can get two sets of the 8Pack 4000MHz kits, to replace my 2 3600MHz 8Pack kits. Is that a huge waste of time? I know Ryzen loves fast RAM, but I also remember reading that it quickly tails off after 3600 so there’s potentially next to no benefit.

I guess I could maybe get £100-150 for my existing stuff so is the upgrade worth the extra £100 on top?

Cheers

Associate
You will have performance regression if you get the 4000 kit since fclk, mclk and uclk won't be synced.

It's generally not recommended to go above 3600 unless you want to start tinkering for like maybe a 5% improvement at most. It will be especially hard since it seems like you are using 4 DIMMS.

If you do want to chase that 5% or so my recommendation would be to see if you can 4 DIMM oc to 3,733 Mhz with 1867 fclk (and check for whea). That's about where most 5950x stop being stable.

Honestly it's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down if you are at the surface (as it appears you are). The knowledge and reading plus trial and error is not worth the small performance increase.

Man of Honour
OP
You do realise you can overclock that memory without spending a penny?

Yeah I’ve tried but it seems unless I really up the voltage (above 1.4v) and loosen timings then it’s just not going to happen. That was my first idea.

You will have performance regression if you get the 4000 kit since fclk, mclk and uclk won't be synced.

It's generally not recommended to go above 3600 unless you want to start tinkering for like maybe a 5% improvement at most. It will be especially hard since it seems like you are using 4 DIMMS.

If you do want to chase that 5% or so my recommendation would be to see if you can 4 DIMM oc to 3,733 Mhz with 1867 fclk (and check for whea). That's about where most 5950x stop being stable.

Honestly it's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down if you are at the surface (as it appears you are). The knowledge and reading plus trial and error is not worth the small performance increase.

Thanks for this, this was the sort of post I needed to make me see sense :D I’ll keep my money for now

Soldato
What kit do you have now, 2 x 16GB, 3600 CAS16? What case and cooling?
8 pack teamgroup is safe up to 1.5V so would suggest upping voltage to 1.5 and shifting up to 3800MHz, first leaving timings at CAS16 and also bumping FCLK to 1900.
Motherboard depending you'll maybe want to change VSOC, VDDP, IOD and CCD voltages.

You can then try lowering to CAS14.

I'm pretty sure at this point would be on par with or possibly quicker that a DDR4000 kit that has higher latency... unless you look at a DDR4000 CAS14 kit

This is my 8 pack kit 2 x 16, 3600 CL16 kit

IbyKdFa.png

Back
Top Bottom