32gb 4x8 or 16x2?

Associate
Time for a pc upgrade, upgrading from first gen ryzent to 3rd. Going for one of the gigabyte 570x boards. Memory has always confused me so if I can get a hand choosing then it would be much appreciated.

I'm wanting 32gb of ram, but I've heard folks say about problems using all 4 dimm slots with 570x? So am I better going for 2 16's? I'm mainly gaming with the odd bit of editing. Anyone able to point me in the right direction to what's the best for the job?

Ta

Soldato
The Ryzen CPUs are dual channel so you want two or four sticks; Threadripper CPUs are quad channel so you want four or eight.

This video might help explain things:

Soldato
Overclocking wise as dual rank DIMM 16GB DIMM is more demanding for memory controller than single 8GB DIMM with one rank.
But two 8GB DIMMs per channel also makes two ranks, negating that.
(also both give rank interleaving of commands)

But most newer boards use "daisy chain" wiring of DIMM slots, which is better for single DIMM per channel than two DIMMs.

Hence 2x16GB can be considered as better choise.
Though at some default 3200MHz CL16 level it makes no real difference, assuming DIMMs are any good.

Associate
OP
Niether: with Ryzen you want 3600 MHz.

Haha nice one. I'll watch that vid in a sec.

So I'll be looking at either

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...zen-tuned-ddr4-memory-dual-kit-my-4cl-cs.html
But I've read to avoid this set as it's c18 and I'm better with the c16 below?

Or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-4c4-cs.html

Your video might answer the questions, thought I'd chuck that in the now before watching the video.

Edit: watched the video, he recommends 3000-3200. But essentially 3200 with lower timings was the sweet spot.

So that puts me back to the 8pack c14's(2 sets 4x8) or the ballistix sports 2x16 at c16? I assume it's c16.

Edit 2: I'm just gonna stick with 16gb for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom