32GB ram for Ryzen 7 2700X and Asus Rog Crosshair Vii Hero

Associate
Hi, I am in the process of upgrading my home pc. It is used for general use, as a gaming pc for my son and also he will be learning c++ and development using UE4. I have already acquired a Ryzen 7 2700X cpu and an Asus ROG Crosshair Vii Hero mobo. Not my first choice but offered at too good a price to turn down. My question relates to compatible memory, I have read so many posts about these but have not had a definitive answer and also noticed a big percentage of articles on this combination of cpu, mobo and memory are from mid 2018 when these were launched. I realise that no 32gb kits are shown on the QVL for the Asus mobo and that the Ryzen cpu are said to work best with Samsung B-die 3200 low latency memory. Also not clear about benefits of speed/low latency...ie, choosing cl14 over cl16
What I would really like to know, is anybody successfully running 32gb of ram with this cpu and mobo combination without having a nightmare setting it up. I was looking for 32gb after being advised it would be beneficial for the coding/development my son will be doing, as 16gb would have been fine for gaming/general use.
Thanks.

Soldato
I got a set of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K16G4D32AESB 3200MHz CL16 32Gb kit(16x2) at that works very well with my Ryzen 1700 on a AX370-Gaming 5 @ 3500Mhz.

I got it as my corsair vengence 3200MHz(4x8GB) would only run @ 2933 iirc. I know it's not your setup but there was a thread in here about this RAM and the consensus was it's very impressive for the money - £150 for the 32GB kit at the time.

I would say, after this, that the samsung b-die is over priced now that there is other RAM that works well. The Ballistix won't do CL14 but that only very low single digit % faster in real world anyway - take a look at it.

Man of Honour
The Ballistix won't do CL14
it'll do 3200c14 easily, 3600c14 probably unlikely

the below comment doesn't apply to the 2700x, only ryzen 3000 series:
but with 3600c16 giving roughly same latencies as 3200c14...and with better bandwidth...
3600c16 seems the obvious choice

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for your input. I was surprised at the price difference between some of memory I was looking at, especially the cl14 trident z sets. I know they say you get what you pay for, but if I could find some that worked successfully and saved me a few pounds that would be a bonus.

Associate
OP
Just had a look at the 32gb kit on Crucial's website, says it's compatible with the Asus ROG Crosshair Vii Hero mobo, just wondering whether the Ryzen 7 2700X will also work ok with it too. Looks like a steal for £160!

Back
Top Bottom