£350 build for the kids.

Associate
Hi guys,

A family member wants a PC for their kids to do their homework and stuff on. Criteria should be that it should last for a number of years. All through high school.

Now they have a couple of laptops but again, they're about 4 years old, and don't really cut it with how heavy windows is nowadays.

Second hand is also an option if it gets them something better.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Dell optiplex i7 3***

£300 odd refurb , comes with windows 10 normally

Quite old but it looks like they'll do the job. Will talk it over and see if he is alright with it.

Thanks!

What about putting SSD's in the laptops? This would give them a huge speed boost for loading windows and applications.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £43.65 (includes shipping: £4.66)

That's something I've already mentioned to him and he is now looking at doing asap, and i'd also told him to connect them up to a monitor for more real estate when they need to.

The CPU in them are not good to say the least.

Associate
What CPU's are they? if they are that bad and they want to go with something new then maybe something like this?

Total: £351.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

This would be quick enough for doing MS Office tasks and browsing the web, would be ample for kids to do homework and such on.

They could even upgrade it in the future, put a new CPU into it and a graphics card if they wanted to play some games.

Soldato
What CPU's are they? if they are that bad and they want to go with something new then maybe something like this?

Total: £351.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)

This would be quick enough for doing MS Office tasks and browsing the web, would be ample for kids to do homework and such on.

They could even upgrade it in the future, put a new CPU into it and a graphics card if they wanted to play some games.
This will cruise through everything in windows even some games as it is with the vega 8 igpu. Good value for money.

Back
Top Bottom