• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600x always idle at 1.4v causing high temps and noise

Soldato
I wondered why my CPU fan is always pretty noisy so I checked CPU-Z.

It is indicating that my core voltage is always around 1.44v and a core speed of 4.3MHz and a CPU temp of around 60c.

I've tried the Windows power mode of 'Balanced' and 'Ryzen Balenced' and it doesn't change.

If I change my Windows power settings to 'Power Saver' my CPU drops down to 0.9v and a core speed of 2.2MHZ and a CPU temp of around 35c. This seems right for a PC on idle.

Unfortunatly I can't leave it on this power saver mode as it never ramps up properly when gaming/using the machine.

Any ideas on what might be causing these issues?

Caporegime
I had things like Discord running in the background on the home screen that seems to have some sort of video playing that caused voltage on my 3600x to always be 1.4+

So yeah, check that you don't have any app running that could be causing it. Check BIOS settings for 'Cool N Quiet' etc.

Soldato
OP
Windows is up to date.

I've been through every process and application that is running and shut them down, still at 1.4v which is the Boost setting for this CPU.

Something weird I did notice, when i open Task Manager the CPU drops down to 0.9v but when i close Task Manager it boosts back up to 1.4v!!

Associate
Well, the minimum processor state was the only thing that ever stopped my processor from automatically downclocking.
If changing the profile to other modes, allows the clock to come down, as you mentioned when changing to Power Saver, I guess there isn't anything "wrong" at BIOS setup level, such as the frequency manually set to 4.3 and voltage to 1.4.
My only guess is check if there's any new BIOS available. if not, try to restore the BIOS settings to their default.
After that you may need to set the correct RAM speed and voltage if necessary and all the rest as default.
If doesn't sort it out, I would go for the software side of it.
Check at the motherboard's manufacturer website for the latest chipset drivers or from AMD's website.
Sometimes worthy trying.

Associate
The OP has rife same issue as me, I mean exactly the same too, right down to the only thing that changes idle voltages is power saver mode.

I did stop all running apps in system tray to see if it made a difference, and saw voltages back at next to nothing... however cannot seem to identify the app closed causing it as I've gone through each of them individually and no joy.

This issue never existed until the last two bios updates.

Soldato
OP
Have you checked for viruses?
Yup, even tried a fresh Windows install.

The OP has rife same issue as me, I mean exactly the same too, right down to the only thing that changes idle voltages is power saver mode.

I did stop all running apps in system tray to see if it made a difference, and saw voltages back at next to nothing... however cannot seem to identify the app closed causing it as I've gone through each of them individually and no joy.

This issue never existed until the last two bios updates.

From Googling it looks quite commmon but i'm yet to find a fix. I just find threads of similar people asking the same question.

Associate
im in the same boat, my 3600x is constantly at 1.44v even with cool n quiet enabled.

im not too worried as its still sitting around 30-40c which does fluctuate quite rapidly. maybe a software issue?

Soldato
OP
There is no other software monitoring programs running. I've tested with CPUZ and my motherboards (MSI) monitor software and both report the same.

I've tried the Windows Balanced Ryzen plan and it didnt change.

How do I enable the 'cool n quiet'?

Associate
There is no other software monitoring programs running. I've tested with CPUZ and my motherboards (MSI) monitor software and both report the same.

I've tried the Windows Balanced Ryzen plan and it didnt change.

How do I enable the 'cool n quiet'?

its in the Bios, i had to change mine from 'Auto' to Enabled. You could download HWinfo64 that shows the volate on each core etc. . .

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Associate
Using HWinfo64 it shows all cores bouncing around 3.4 and 4.2MHz.
Voltage is at 1.44

yep that was the same as mine, if you have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed you should be able to go into the Windows powerplan and choose the 'Ryzen Balanced' that will sort it

Back
Top Bottom