• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x Issue: Can't Reboot The PC From Windows (but can shut down)

Soldato
Hi,

So I bought a 3700x for cheap with a weird issue. The seller was reporting that the processor doesn't allow the PC to reboot from Windows but it does allow it to shut down. In short; he wasn't lying!

It just seems weird that this is a CPU issue but he did say he tried it on a few different boards with the same behaviour. From Windows if I restart it shuts Windows down but then will just sit on a black screen and not reboot. If I shut down from Windows it turns off as it should.

If I'm messing around in the BIOS and 'save & exit' it will restart though - seems to be a Windows thing? It's a bit of an irritation but I can live with it until an upgrade and the CPU is performing very well and it's stable using PBO +200mhz.

Has anyone encountered this or have any suggestions though? I've messed about with a few power settings in Windows / BIOS but starting to think that it may actually be a CPU issue.

It's running on an X570 I Pro Wifi paired with some 3600mhz Viper Ram (micron), 750w PSU.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Soldato
Never seen that before, could a dodgy CPU pin cause it?

As far as weirld issues I did have a PC before that would show GFX artifacts on a cold boot and and would take several restarts to power up 'clean' at which point it ran absolutely fine for hours!

Caporegime
Worth noting as well that a restart action and a shutdown action aren't (by default) equivalent when in comes to terminating running processes.

So, for example, msiexec processes (running installs, sometimes zombified and borked) can persist through a shutdown/power on, if you have Fast Start-up (hybrid hibernate) switched on (which is the default).

Whereas a restart kills them and gives you a cleaner state/blank slate after.

It's a bit annoying tbf that restart and shutdown/power on aren't the same. They should be.

Soldato
OP
cheers - i did check the pins everything looked good. The CPU performs beautifully, just a shame it does this. It's not a deal breaker though.

I did have a play about with the fast start / restart as well, it also happens in safe mode so yeah - i'll just have to live with it for now.

Associate
cheers - i did check the pins everything looked good. The CPU performs beautifully, just a shame it does this. It's not a deal breaker though.

I did have a play about with the fast start / restart as well, it also happens in safe mode so yeah - i'll just have to live with it for now.

Out of interest what happens if you restart through CMD ? -- shutdown /r

Soldato
Werid behaviour. Try installing a Linux distro on a separate partition or USB stick and see if it replicates the same behaviour just to rule out a Windows doing something odd.

Failing that you could try your luck with AMD and see what they say.

Man of Honour
Could try turning off everything in sight in the BIOS (that you're not using obv, like usb headers, lan, any other ports), just incase there's something in particular it doesn't like?

Maybe a slight bump in voltages?

Soldato
OP
I'll have to try the Linux distro idea - weekend job that one, not used Linux in years.

I've turned off all the stuff in BIOS - didn't work unfortunately. It does reset successfully from the BIOS though.

This was a new build (used cpu) with a fresh Windows install.

I also didn't know either. I have a 3800XT coming from the US soon so we will soon find out if this is an actual thing.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom