• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3770k paired with 1080ti

Soldato
Everyone spends their cash on what ybey want. Its gigabyte 1080it auros or hows it called hes gotten. Should have seen hes face when he turned batylegriunds player unknown to see 17fps on max setting at 1080p buhahaha

O ye not mentioned 3 monts ho he gotten dell 27 inch 1080p 60hz monitor PERFECT for 1080ti init
You sure it's your housemate that's on some kind of drugs? :p

Soldato
Anything that uses the frostbite engine is hammering 8 threads at this moment. Destiny 2 is said to be able to take advantage of higher cores. We can't put a date on when quads will be dead but it's certainly happening

Yeah I agree with you, happy still with my 3570k but would never buy a 4 core CPU now knowing that within the next 3 years it'll be the equivalent of the dual core.

Associate
Fantastic! That would be SUPER helpful thanks!

Also I don't suppose you've noticed any slowdown on the soissons map, especially around B objective have you?

I will do but it will be two weeks from now as I have family coming over this weekend and won't have time for a full rebuild.

Not just at B in Soissons, anywhere with a lot of destructive environments. Amiens often stutters with explosions and falling buildings at the same time. CPU never goes below 70% even in the open desert. Amiens has it at 100%

Associate
this is the 4770k

2im429e.jpg

WCbv9.jpg

WCbv9.jpg

Associate
Not just at B in Soissons, anywhere with a lot of destructive environments. Amiens often stutters with explosions and falling buildings at the same time. CPU never goes below 70% even in the open desert. Amiens has it at 100%

That's EXACTLY how I've found it running on my 4770K! I've been very suspicious of people with similar rigs to us, claiming super high frame rates 100% of the time..even in busy scenes.

I'm still not sure what upgrade path to take moving forward!

P.s two of your images aren't showing up :)

Associate
Yes. For some reason imgur links don't seem to work.
They just show more of the same on different maps. The CPU bouncing off 100% all the time. I went for Ryzen as I have the low cost opportunity. Either way, 4/8 cores are probably coming to EOL

Associate
Im myself looking to switch from my i3770k at 4.5GHz, to something faster but not sure if it make sense as all I do is game. Would be nice to see some sort of comparison between 3770k and let say i7 7820x

Associate
I had a 3770k at 4.5ghz with a heavily over clocked 980ti, I recently changed to a ryzen 1700 and if I'm honest, have noticed NO difference. I know I am more future proofed for the future and have a newer board with newer facilities and that was the main reason I did it....

I've seen lots of bench marks where CPU utilisation is 30% on the Ryzen are these just bios issues as it's not like the Ryzen has way more cores than the intel. Just seems like a massive gap to file (or could it just be the benchmark software)

Associate
Ok - Here are three random 60 second runs from Amiens. I have averaged the results.

What does this tell us ?

Well the 1700X in raw numbers has more than equalled the 4770k at lower utilisation.
I can tell you that they feel very similar, although I lost all of my settings on BF1 when I moved to the new rig and the new one feels....different. Sometimes choppy ? Take that with a massive pinch of salt though. The stats say otherwise.

157zptt.png

15wgl5h.png

Last edited:
Associate
depends what your playing, VR is mostly GPU bound so a 1080Ti will be a nice upgrade but as others have said if you wanna play any of the latest frostbite games at a decent average fps that 3770K aint gunna cut it.

To maintain 120fps all the time in BF1 @ 1080p even my 5820K @ 4.2Ghz hits 80-90%

Soldato
I manage over 130 fps without issue on my 4770k/1080ti combo in BF1. I do however also experience the same capped out processor. Now i would be fine if it would just chuck along nicely at 100-130fps but i feel the stuttering when the cpu is peaking which is ******* annoying to say the least. BF1 is not the only game where i see my 4770k sweat. The Division and Wildlands tell the same tale. I would like to mention my 4770k is OCed to 4,4ghz. I think my next upgrade has to be a new platform. I wonder how the 7700k is handling this, not that i personally would buy it but out of interest.

Associate
The 7700k would be a step up no doubt. I'm thinking that if I hadn't had this bargain com3 up, I would be waiting on tests for the 7820k vs 7700k vs 1800x and look at the cost of these platforms.

From what I have seen the intel will do games better but cost a great deal more.

Soldato
The 7700k would be a step up no doubt. I'm thinking that if I hadn't had this bargain com3 up, I would be waiting on tests for the 7820k vs 7700k vs 1800x and look at the cost of these platforms.

From what I have seen the intel will do games better but cost a great deal more.

Problem is that reviewers dont do the cpu test properly these days.. They rarely show core usage and they will show a bunch of none multiplayer games and call it the day.. Now i understand that MP testing is difficult to do equally but nevertheless it should be done if with nothing else then a * saying these mp tests are not 100% equal. You would a lot of peaked or near peaking i7s all of a sudden and the i5s would be put into the useless category real fast. Of course it's not every game that would cause this behavior and most currently released games are still fine where the i7 reign as king but i have no doubt that it will change sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Associate
That's exactly why I posted these tests. I did a longer thread over at hexus with more tests as well as synthetics. Overall I think the time has come for 8 cores.

Soldato
Problem is that reviewers dont do the cpu test properly these days.. They rarely show core usage and they will show a bunch of none multiplayer games and call it the day.. Now i understand that MP testing is difficult to do equally but nevertheless it should be done if with nothing else then a * saying these mp tests are not 100% equal. You would a lot of peaked or near peaking i7s all of a sudden and the i5s would be put into the useless category real fast. Of course it's not every game that would cause this behavior and most currently released games are still fine where the i7 reign as king but i have no doubt that it will change sooner rather than later.
Wouldn't call the i5's useless but i7's are where it's at imo for gaming now at a minimum if you want the system to last 3+ years.

Soldato
Wouldn't call the i5's useless but i7's are where it's at imo for gaming now at a minimum if you want the system to last 3+ years.
I really doubt that you will get 3+ years out of an quad core i7 if you are pairing it with 1080ti level or above performance hardware and not be CPU bottlenecked more often as times goes by.

Soldato
I really doubt that you will get 3+ years out of an quad core i7 if you are pairing it with 1080ti level or above performance hardware and not be CPU bottlenecked more often as times goes by.
Yeah you should be able to I mean I've got a 1070 with a Ivy Bridge i5 and I only bottleneck in BF 1 sometimes, if you get a 7700k it'll hold up for at least 3 years, I feel that waiting for Zen+ is going to be easy :)

Think about it 7700k is fast IPC + overclocks better than what I've got along with 4 extra threads.

Back
Top Bottom