• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x to a 3900x waste?

Associate
I think its a good switch at that price. 3900X will retain more value long term.
Bet you won't notice any difference tho.

Associate
OP
I think its a good switch at that price. 3900X will retain more value long term.
Bet you won't notice any difference tho.

Yeah thats what i thought it might last me longer than say a 3800x due to the head room on the extra cores and threads as well maybe.

I have had alook around the web on these 3900x and people are complaining about 3900x not hitting passed 4.1 ghz on games was this a problem that has now been sorted im guessing?

Soldato
Not holding me back no I just thought for £90 those extra cores and clock speeds might come in handy?

If you're current CPU isn't holding you back in the slightest, how would you even notice a change?

It would be £90 spent for no difference at all.

The 3900x would benefit you in years to come, when games use more cores, but I advise you to wait until the new 4000 series launches at least.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd stick with what you have, if you're keen to jump to 12 cores do it when Ryzen 4000 arrives or after Ryzen 4000 drops in price and get an upgrade that you'll notice. Also 3900X doesn't reliably run at anything like 4.5-4.6ghz in games and anyway the extra clock speed doesn't translate into an equivalent jump in fps, it's held back by latency so a pretty meh 'upgrade'. For streaming while gaming you'd probably notice the change a bit more.

Associate
OP
I'd stick with what you have, if you're keen to jump to 12 cores do it when Ryzen 4000 arrives or after Ryzen 4000 drops in price and get an upgrade that you'll notice. Also 3900X doesn't reliably run at anything like 4.5-4.6ghz in games and anyway the extra clock speed doesn't translate into an equivalent jump in fps, it's held back by latency so a pretty meh 'upgrade'. For streaming while gaming you'd probably notice the change a bit more.
I went with it mate I do stream a little and for what its cost me ive just done it.

I will probably upgrade to ryzen 4000 anyway when they come out and sell the 3900x on.

Back
Top Bottom