• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x to a 3900x waste?

Associate
1080ti sli niicee
It's often unsupported but extremely good when it is, I'm still pretty much always GPU bound in games on a 5 year old CPU (my PC churns through electricity like we had a free green energy revolution 30 years ago). Here's hoping we get decent affordable next gen GPUs.

Associate
OP
It's often unsupported but extremely good when it is, I'm still pretty much always GPU bound in games on a 5 year old CPU (my PC churns through electricity like we had a free green energy revolution 30 years ago). Here's hoping we get decent affordable next gen GPUs.
haha yeah i bet! erm be interesting on what the price / performance will be on the next GPUs to be honest.

Associate
Yes, that upgrade would definitely be a complete waste. Spending that much money and not gaining loads in performance. You should definitely wait until the new 4000 series comes out. I made a similar thread a few days ago and this is what I was suggested!

Soldato
I think its a good switch at that price. 3900X will retain more value long term.
Bet you won't notice any difference tho.
I would agree also. 3900x definitely better value per core than 3800x. It’s really a matter what you need. If you are looking for 4000 series chips within the next year then don’t bother, hold out till 4000 chip prices drop enough.

but if you going to settle on 3900x for the long term. Then it makes more sense. You won’t notice the gaming performance gain now but who knows what happens after 3yrs or 5yrs.

I bought a new 4c/8t 4770k some 7-8 years ago when 2c/4t or just 4c CPUs were mainstream and now that CPU struggles with things I want to do like video editing. So I have moved on to 6c/12t as a stop gap before I decide whether 3900x or 4700x is for me.

Associate
OP
I would agree also. 3900x definitely better value per core than 3800x. It’s really a matter what you need. If you are looking for 4000 series chips within the next year then don’t bother, hold out till 4000 chip prices drop enough.

but if you going to settle on 3900x for the long term. Then it makes more sense. You won’t notice the gaming performance gain now but who knows what happens after 3yrs or 5yrs.

I bought a new 4c/8t 4770k some 7-8 years ago when 2c/4t or just 4c CPUs were mainstream and now that CPU struggles with things I want to do like video editing. So I have moved on to 6c/12t as a stop gap before I decide whether 3900x or 4700x is for me.

I went with it cost me £68. I do have a game to try and sell so will cost me even less.

Back
Top Bottom