• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3870 fan doesn't hit 100% you say?

Soldato
Mine did!

It won't play CoD4 on a brand new XP build, drivers and install of *** game. Just gets a GPU shutdown, fan hits max... and it's LOUD! :eek:I mean, sounds like something is broken LOUD! :eek:And I have have 3 other fans in my system!

Soldato
OP
No, they aren't that loud, you are exaggerating a shedload. I run mine on 100% forced quite a lot.

Then either my fan is broken or you aren't actually forcing 100%, I know there are problems getting fans to 100% on the new ATI card.

I'm not exaggerating MY fan is ridiculously loud! It freezes then bang, the fan blows up a rage!

Soldato
No, they aren't that loud, you are exaggerating a shedload. I run mine on 100% forced quite a lot.

Are you sure? Mine goes berserk when the heating comes on and pops the temps up to 80°C or so. :p

(Radiator is right below the pc, only place for pc to go. :/)

Associate
Mine does not spin up audibly at all when playing COD4? Then again I don't have tons of hardware in my system either.

My case cooling = 1 x120 intake (amber), 1x120 outake (amber) and a top 92mm (amber) exhaust. I have a Chenbro gaming bomb alu case......so nothing special cooling wise.

...sounds a dodgy card to me...or maybe mine is dodgy as its blinkin' silent during a full gaming session, only spins up briefly at boot up.

Soldato
OP
My case sits on a window ledge with the window ajar, 1x 120mm drawing at the front, 1x at the rear, large fan in the PSU and a very clean case with no ribbon cables at all.

Case temps remain in the 19-24'c region even at full load, both cores idle in the low 20'c zone even running overvolts at 3.46GHz.

So I know for a fact the card isn't running warm, it's got a wonderful environment in which to live and breath. :)

Soldato
Exactly.

On another note, even when relatively idle the heatsink feels 'hot' to the touch.

Does anyone know if 1900 series coolers fit the 3870?

No idea tbh mate! The heatsink is damn hot to be fair! Have you looked at the heatsink on the COre itself, its massive and obviously gets massively hot too

Soldato
OP
Yeah I have, its a big lump of tin painted copper... well it's not that bad, but the quality looks pretty substandard.

Would be nice if the 1900 Arctic Cooler fitted, they are case exhausting, quiet and very efficient. I had one on my Ultra and even volted and clocked it kept cooler than stock! 8)

Back
Top Bottom