3970x temps (air cooling on a noctua u14s) - above 70 degrees at stock?

Associate
Hi all.

I've got my 3970x up and running (thanks for getting it in stock early ocuk!). It's on an MSI Creator TRX40 with 64GB of 3200 Corsair Vengeance CL16 running @ 3400

I'm getting good Cinebench scores and everything is stable at stock. It reaches 4.5 Boost on single core and stabilizes at about 3.9/4.0 on all cores which is bloody amazing. System is mega stable and hasn't crashed once since setting it up and running benches etc. It's punting intel processors out of the park on the cinebench table!

At the moment I'm cooling it with a Noctua U14s TR4-SP3 with a second Noctua NF-A15 on a Y connector. I've got a load of case fans but currently running it with the side off.

My temps on a 1hr stress test are reaching 71 and almost 72 degrees, I've read that AMD recommends not exceeding 68. I've been shying away from AIOs because very few of them have heat spreaders big enough to cover all of the TRX40 socket and those that do are of questionable quality, people on the AMD reddit are getting almost identical temps to me on similar HSF coolers like the WraithRipper. Even people with AIOs are getting temps around the 69/70 range. I do a fair bit of rendering so I'm going to be reaching these temps daily for hours at a time.

My question is really, is 72 degrees acceptable? should I not worry about it? ...It seems really high to me, am I going to shorten the life of my chip?... I don't want to have to do a custom loop (but I will if i have to) because I'm freelance artist and have to cart my computer around from studio to studio so the vibration and general bumping around in my car might add too much stress to the fixings. Not to mention I've never done watercooling before and it looks a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for any input

Soldato
To be fair I don't think that (many) current water blocks or heatsink bases are optimised for Threadripper chiplet layouts. So moving to water may not help.

Can you monitor individual core temperatures?

You may find that optimised coolers become available in time.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

With the case sides on and installed under my desk it gets up to about 75 when doing long renders now. This case has capacity for 200mm fans so I've ordered a couple to see if higher airflow helps.

Fingers crossed Noctua get their refreshed D15s out soon with the TR4 heatspreader and I can swap the u14 out for that.

Soldato
Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 cools AMD very well with it's TY-143 fan (130cfm@2500rpm). A second fan can be added but temps only drop maybe 2c. But case airflow needs similar hi-performance fans to supply cooler with that much (almost twice as much) case airflow or cooler will end up re-using preheated air which raises air temp into cooler. CPU temp rises at almost exactly 1:1 ratio to air temp into air coolers. If CPU is 68c with 25c into cooler with fan at full speed it's 78c with 35c cooler intake air temp.

Associate
OP
After spending 70 quid on noctua fans, it's now staying below 72 degrees at full load with the case sides on.

If anyone's interested, the case is an old Bitfenix Shinobi XL. There's a 200mm on the front intake, a 120 on the bottom next to the PSU, then another 200mm exhasting out of the top above the CPU and finally a 140 exhausting out of the back, near the CPU.

They're all linked to CPU temps with a 0.7s ramp up with curves set so they only really kick in aggressively between 60 and 70 degrees.

Last edited:
Soldato
After spending 70 quid on noctua fans, it's now staying below 72 degrees at full load with the case sides on.

If anyone's interested, the case is an old Bitfenix Shinobi XL. There's a 200mm on the front intake, a 120 on the bottom next to the PSU, then another 200mm exhasting out of the top above the CPU and finally a 140 exhausting out of the back, near the CPU.

They're all linked to CPU temps with a 0.7s ramp up with curves set so they only really kick in aggressively between 60 and 70 degrees.

Replaced old fans or added fans where there were none?

Associate
Sorry for the unrelated question, but does the Noctua cooler block the first pcie slot on that board or can you get your graphics card in there?

Soldato
Sorry for the unrelated question, but does the Noctua cooler block the first pcie slot on that board or can you get your graphics card in there?
PCIe clearance depends on motherboard CPU socket placement and which PCIe are x16. While PCIe had standardized placement, which is 16x does not, and CPU socket has no standarized placement.

Soldato
Fan on either side will overlap RAM sockets. Center CPU socket to near side of RAM socket is about 43mm and NH-U14S is 26mm center to front or back sides and 75mm toward PCIe sockets. Near side of nearest PCIe socket is about 80mm from center CPU .. 5mm farther away than cooler fans fin overhang.

Associate
Fan on either side will overlap RAM sockets. Center CPU socket to near side of RAM socket is about 43mm and NH-U14S is 26mm center to front or back sides and 75mm toward PCIe sockets. Near side of nearest PCIe socket is about 80mm from center CPU .. 5mm farther away than cooler fans fin overhang.

Thanks for this info. I plan on populating all the ram slots so I will exclude the Noctua and pick something else.

Soldato
Thanks for this info. I plan on populating all the ram slots so I will exclude the Noctua and pick something else.
With only about 86mm RAM socket to RAM socket there is only 43mm center CPU to near side of RAM socket. There are very few coolers that will not overlap RAM on at least one side becuase most top tier single tower coolers are 53mm front to back sp 26-27mm center to front of fins plus 25-27mm for fan is 51-54 to front of fan. There are a couple 120mm fanned coolers, but I don't think they are high enough wattage TDP for your CPU.

Back
Top Bottom