3D printing miniatures

Associate
I am wondering if it is something normally one would do now with some of the pricing becoming ridiculously high?

Any printed miniatures would be for my private collection for gaming only.

ty

Soldato
From what I understand the quality isn't there yet, I have seen a few 3D printed Warhammer stuff and it looked awful up close.

That being said it is one of those technologies that is rapidly advancing, so it won't be long. Certainly 3D printed terrain/scenery is here now.

I just hope the likes of Games Workshop are keeping an eye on it and have some kind of strategy, because I think once the technology to 3D print with the same quality of injection moulding is here, they are going to have a serious problem if not.

Soldato
From what I understand the quality isn't there yet, I have seen a few 3D printed Warhammer stuff and it looked awful up close.

That being said it is one of those technologies that is rapidly advancing, so it won't be long. Certainly 3D printed terrain/scenery is here now.

I just hope the likes of Games Workshop are keeping an eye on it and have some kind of strategy, because I think once the technology to 3D print with the same quality of injection moulding is here, they are going to have a serious problem if not.

You can already get brilliant knock offs frok China as it is.

If it gets off the ground they'll just have to accept some pain on their margins or they will lose out.

Associate
Their big box starter set is £95 and they have other big boxes for similar prices that are considered to be good value per model.
When (not if) 3d printers at £200 can knock out decent quality minitures with little maintenance, Games Workshop are dead in the water.
It's already largely a rich kids and middle age man hobby to any significant volume of sales due to pricing, just the sort of punter capable of shelling out for a diy mini maker.
If they don't have a plan to monetise the game rather than the models, I think they're on borrowed time.

Caporegime
They've been on borrowed time for ages. They've priced far too many people out of the hobby with silly unjustified price rises. One thing this does do is artificially raise the price of some mini manufacturers elsewhere too.

Sgarrista
Commissario
They've priced far too many people out of the hobby with silly unjustified price rises.

I used to spend hours painting while doing my work (read, waiting for the PC to finish running the scripts I programmed). Found it very relaxing and enjoyable, but this is the crux of it, the price rises killed it.

Just looked online, 12ml of paint for £2.75!!!!! WHAT THE HELL. Didn't it used to be £1 a pot for 25-50ml, which even back then was a ripoff!

Soldato
My friend already 3d prints titans and knights - he has a full army now. He gets the blueprints (?) online.

For non-GW stuff, I have files for each of the monsters from the D&D 5e Monster Manual on my PC. One day I'll have a printer and I'll create the ones I need (although I already have a fairly big collection).

Associate
OP
I went digging around for a clip that was for those who could not really afford a high end 3D printer and still get good quality prints and it looks like I found the right clip, but the guy can be a bit tedious at times, but thorough.

Back
Top Bottom