Associate
Hi Guys. Please can you help me decide on a new phone:

Requirements:

decent battery
simple operating system
3G compatible
Flip style

Budget: £100 (or therabouts).

Not overly interested in email, browsing, music, etc. Hence a normal phone (non smartphone) will be fine.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
The title sounds kinda dirty.

:D

Any Nokia 27xx from a supermarket would do, or maybe the Drodo 410, that's really simple and very well built.

Associate
OP
Why does it need to be a flip? Hope you like the budget range, this is where all the flips are, there is no £100 flip for sale.

Because of the way that I hold the phone, the microphones on a lot of modern candybar phones doesn't pickup my voice well. Flip phones allow for the best mic placement.

The title sounds kinda dirty.
:D

rofl :D

Any Nokia 27xx from a supermarket would do, or maybe the Drodo 410, that's really simple and very well built.

Nice suggestion on the Nokia, but are they 3G?. Not sure about the Drodo though, slightly concerned about the reliabilty.

Associate
OP
Looks like the nokia 2720 flip phone is not 3G compatible, but I stumbled accross a Nokia 6555 during my research which should do the trick. The battery isn't as good as say the 2730 but I guess you can't have everything. :)

Soldato
I would LOVE a drawing of how you hold it if you'd be willing to indulge :) A 6555 is 4 years old now, thoroughly test the battery for any model you receive to make sure it's not duff/dead/leaking. It takes a BL5C battery which is in every Nokia under the sun from that era so a replacement is no problem, they still make them infact.

Associate
OP
Followup

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply. I wanted the phone to be 3G because my provider piggy-backs off the three network, hence the handset needs to use 2100MHz frequency band.

I ended up going for the Nokia 6555 which is a cool little phone, but be warned, the battery is pretty crap for a relatively basic phone. I pretty much had to charge it every day, just like most smartphones.

There are apparently high capacity batteries available but I doubt that you would be able to get a couple days out of the thing if you actually use it for calls!

In the end I got frustrated and ditched my provider in favour of a 2G network, got a cheapo £10 samsung flip, and now my battery lasts a week! Hurrah. Phones are for making calls people, not updating your facebook status.

Caporegime
Phones are for making calls people, not updating your facebook status.

A bit like decent routing platforms and protocols are best used for QoS and throttling, rather than resorting to changing network medium ;)

Technology is what you make of it, a "phone" is more than the sum of it's parts these days, and are in reality communication tools across a multitude of platforms!

Soldato
In the end I got frustrated and ditched my provider in favour of a 2G network, got a cheapo £10 samsung flip, and now my battery lasts a week! Hurrah. Phones are for making calls people, not updating your facebook status.

Millions of other people would disagree with you. Voice calls are way down on the list when it comes to smartphone usage. For you that obviously isn't the case, but you're firmly in the minority these days. I'm afraid to break it to you but you're the modern day equivalent of a parent who can't set the video. ;)

Associate
OP
A bit like decent routing platforms and protocols are best used for QoS and throttling, rather than resorting to changing network medium ;)

Technology is what you make of it, a "phone" is more than the sum of it's parts these days, and are in reality communication tools across a multitude of platforms!

I'm glad you put phone in quotes - they aren't really what they say they are anymore are they? I see your point - there is always a case for using a device in a different way than it was intended. The problem with a lot of the tech out nowadays is that it is flaky and overcomplicated which often leads to a short lifespan. Low tech solutions are usually cheap and easy to maintain, which is why there is plenty or ancient tech that is still relevant today.

As for changing the medium, switching from pens to pencils seemed to work great for the Russian Cosmonauts who are still launching rockets to this day while the billion dollar space writing implement, gathers dust in some NASA store room.

Plus it helps to know how a system works properly before attempting to implement it. In the case of decent (effective) router based QoS, this requires a prohibitively long grokking time, so why use a sledgehammer when a nutcracker will do?

Associate
OP
Millions of other people would disagree with you. Voice calls are way down on the list when it comes to smartphone usage. For you that obviously isn't the case, but you're firmly in the minority these days. I'm afraid to break it to you but you're the modern day equivalent of a parent who can't set the video. ;)

ROFL! Well, I can't argue with that. I could probably tell you how the video works better than these young, hot-shot, whipper-snappers that can navigate the menus at neer-lightspeed though. ;)

Associate
As for changing the medium, switching from pens to pencils seemed to work great for the Russian Cosmonauts who are still launching rockets to this day while the billion dollar space writing implement, gathers dust in some NASA store room.

Just if you are interested, that whole space pen thing was an urban legend.

Back onto phones, smart"phones" are really just a communication device, messaging on face book is no different than sending a text or email or twitter or even a standard voice call. It is all just a way to relay information, these smart"phones" let you do just that.

I suppose you are right in a way, they should be called "Smart Communication Devices", but then again what tosspot would buy a product called that?

Soldato
ROFL! Well, I can't argue with that. I could probably tell you how the video works better than these young, hot-shot, whipper-snappers that can navigate the menus at neer-lightspeed though. ;)

Haha, actually that would make a great test wouldn't it. Get say 3 generations of people, a 'device' of their era and see who can successfully perform a few tasks with each of them. A smartphone, a VHS video recorder and a sewing machine or something!

Soldato
I use two phones one a cheap dual sim Samsung E2222 which lasts a week with my main sim which is free to 95% of my call. Then a Smartphone which I use for 5% of my calls and all my mobile data stuff. I did this originally because I got free credit on a 2nd sim and I'd no way of using unless I had a 2nd (smart) phone.

Associate
OP
Just if you are interested, that whole space pen thing was an urban legend.

Back onto phones, smart"phones" are really just a communication device, messaging on face book is no different than sending a text or email or twitter or even a standard voice call. It is all just a way to relay information, these smart"phones" let you do just that.

I suppose you are right in a way, they should be called "Smart Communication Devices", but then again what tosspot would buy a product called that?

This is actually a situation that would benefit from more brand-names, but I guess things have become slightly more complicated since the days of Hoover dominating the vacuum cleaner market. I mean, people refer to their iPhones and Blackberrys (not blackberries - it's not fruit).

no one ever says, "I'll just put your number in my Samsung," or "Nokia". Then to make it even more complicated people talk about their tablets, but never clamshells or candybars.

I'm feeling hungry all of a sudden.

Associate
OP
I use two phones one a cheap dual sim Samsung E2222 which lasts a week with my main sim which is free to 95% of my call. Then a Smartphone which I use for 5% of my calls and all my mobile data stuff. I did this originally because I got free credit on a 2nd sim and I'd no way of using unless I had a 2nd (smart) phone.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Dumb phones with good batteries are definitely the way forward if you actually like making voice calls.

Back
Top Bottom