3G Mobile Usb Modem For Online Gaming

Associate
I have recently purchased one of these and have been playing counter strike source online with it, i am getting pings around 150-180, but i cannot use vent at the same time as it lags too much, public servers are not much of an issue as i can play fine. Does anyone know anyway i can use vent at the same time, or make it so css doesnt use so much bandwidth up. Will decreasing the graphics make any difference to my ping?

Thanks

Soldato
You can't I had to use the same thing and UMTS 3+ G is just too slow, the huwei modem or whatever I have is crap and it's only really suitable for what's it designed for, reading your email and borwsing a bit when you're away. Except for the high ping it regurally ( once per 10 mins) loses connection for 3 seconds or well, at leats your ping shoots up to 999 in games and you get shot.

Gfx have nothing to do with your bandwith usage. All I can suggest is use a lower end voice codec.
although you get 3.6 mb downstream, the upstream is terrible.

Soldato
Yeah we only have it coz my dad has a business and he can't stand 10 minutes without Internet.
But we had to drop adsl to get our isdn line into a normal analog line, that took 2 weeks and it took 4 more weeks to get a new ADSL connection from a diff ISP.

Now we still have it due to a 1 year contract, not that he minds, he now reads his email on a lappy wherever he is.

Caporegime
They're only cost effective if you're a business user on the move. I believe thats who they are aimed at, anyway.

The 3 mobile internet is dirt cheap, was on offer at £5 a month (1GB a month) with the modem for free to existing 3 customers. Tempting to just have it for out and about with your laptop.

Man of Honour
The 3 mobile internet is dirt cheap, was on offer at £5 a month (1GB a month) with the modem for free to existing 3 customers. Tempting to just have it for out and about with your laptop.

True enough. I'll prob get one for browsing once I get myself a laptop :)

Browsing and even downloading with some of the contracts would be decent...I just don't fancy gaming on it (aside from in an 'emergency', as above)

rtk

rtk

Associate
hmm well I use a 3G Phone for surfing and as far as im aware these usb modems are basically 3G sim cards connected to usb. so for gaming your gonna have difficulties.

Associate
I am currently having to use 3's mobile bb for my MMO gaming. (no BT BB coverage on a housing estate of 600 in a town with an airport...long story).

Its not to bad for things like wow etc etc its playable most of the time, tho it can just lag terribly for no good reason. As has been stated tho upload is shocking.

For me its a stop gap.

Associate
i have the t-mobile dongle and get about 100ms ping in bf2 it realy depends on the location as well as i drive my van all over the uk in some spots its poor in most is very good 1.5mb max download speed is the best ive got .

Back
Top Bottom