• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3rd Faulty BFG 8600GT OC in 2 months

Associate
I bought a BFG 8600 GT OC from OCUK in May... after a week of using it, it was clear that it was faulty: tested on 3 machines, each with the same fault (artifacts, large areas of popup colour which looked like ghosting rather than software texture problems).

I rma'd the card direct to BFG for a replacement. The replacement arrived, this card was even worse, at least the previous one would work for 1-2 hours, this wouldn't work at all without artifacts/corruption. So I asked BFG for another RMA, RMA'd the 2nd card. 3rd card arrived... same problem as the first card. Keeping in mind I have tested on 3 different PCs (1 running an 8800GTS, 1 running a 7900GT and of course the PC I bought this gpu for).

BFG replied within 24 hours at first. In my last email I asked for a refund or if I can pay to upgrade to an 8600GTS. So far its been days and I've heard nothing back.

I've been without a working PC for 2 months now. What should I do?

I'm tempted to buy another brand 8600 then try and fight for a refund with BFG. But also, OCUK are sold out of their own brand/BFG brand 8600GTS's which I find a bit strange.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to get an XFX from another retailer whom I'm not allowed to state! :rolleyes:

Only because they're cheaper and I have free delivery from them as they cocked up! :o

Try googling it, phone up tech support if they have it. :mad:

Soldato
m1st3r m0nk3y said:
I'm going to get an XFX from another retailer whom I'm not allowed to state! :rolleyes:

Only because they're cheaper and I have free delivery from them as they cocked up! :o

Try googling it, phone up tech support if they have it. :mad:

I hope you realise that the XFX tech support/RMA service is terrible.

Man of Honour
JontH said:
I bought a BFG 8600 GT OC from OCUK in May... after a week of using it, it was clear that it was faulty: tested on 3 machines, each with the same fault (artifacts, large areas of popup colour which looked like ghosting rather than software texture problems).

I rma'd the card direct to BFG for a replacement. The replacement arrived, this card was even worse, at least the previous one would work for 1-2 hours, this wouldn't work at all without artifacts/corruption. So I asked BFG for another RMA, RMA'd the 2nd card. 3rd card arrived... same problem as the first card. Keeping in mind I have tested on 3 different PCs (1 running an 8800GTS, 1 running a 7900GT and of course the PC I bought this gpu for).

BFG replied within 24 hours at first. In my last email I asked for a refund or if I can pay to upgrade to an 8600GTS. So far its been days and I've heard nothing back.

I've been without a working PC for 2 months now. What should I do?

I'm tempted to buy another brand 8600 then try and fight for a refund with BFG. But also, OCUK are sold out of their own brand/BFG brand 8600GTS's which I find a bit strange.

You should have RMA'd to OCUK as your contract is with them and not BFG. At least then if you had a dodgy replacement you could have gone for a refund as the card is not fit for purpose. You could even have tried going for a different card and paid the difference.

Associate
OP
m1st3r m0nk3y said:
Really?

Well it doesn't sound as if BFG are any good - I normally stick with ATi cards up until now! :eek:

I'm sticking with either BFG or XFX!

Ross1234 said:
i think that there must be something in your pc causing it because BFG are very reliable

I've always bought BFG and up until now have been really pleased with them. In fact, this is my sons PC that the 8600 is in, GF has a BFG 7900GT and I have a BFG 8800 GTS. Both of these cards work fine in my sons PC by the way... just the 8600 that doesn't.

pastymuncher said:
You should have RMA'd to OCUK as your contract is with them and not BFG. At least then if you had a dodgy replacement you could have gone for a refund as the card is not fit for purpose. You could even have tried going for a different card and paid the difference.

I won't go into it, especially not here, but I buy from OCUK on the understanding that if it goes wrong I am alone. I wouldn't shop here at all if it wasn't for their good prices and stock levels!

On the bright side, I have underclocked the core/memory on the 8600GT to 500/1300 and it appears to work fine now. I'm going to up the core/memory until I find the point where the problem starts. But it can't do the 565/1400 BFG claim!

Back
Top Bottom