4.46 bricked my console (PS3)

Soldato
This doesn't sound too good,anyone else had this issue?

im a bit worried now to update mine (Slim 160gb model)..thing is bloody netflix wont work if i don't update. :/

Netflix does work, even if you dont connect to psn network ;)
there is a bypass that works to perfection as i use it :D

------------------

Method to play netflix and amazon instant video on your playstations without the need to login to PSN network. this is not a hack, its rather simple actually and works perfectly...
method consists to just blocking psn access to your console via your router ;)

--

When Netflix believes the PSN is down, it will let you login without a problem.

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
mercury.dl.playstation.net > What’s new ads
nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
(main file exchange connections)
us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
(destination servers)
service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
(Error Reporting)
creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

Since he lives in JP (and that was the trick here), he had to additionally block the following addresses:

djp01.ps3.update.playstation.net
jp.np.stun.playstation.net

This takes care of the use case in JP and the US. People in the EU might have to sniff network traffic in order to get additional addresses specific to their country.

Note: some people have contacted me with a technique that simply consists in “cancelling” the login step on the PSN several times in a row. That technique seems so far to be extremely random… feel free to give it a try as it is way simpler than blocking traffic on your router, but be aware that the results are not guaranteed.

----

Last edited:
Associate
Man, you've got me worried now. I was updating 4.46 and the screen just went blank. The power light is green and the eject button is still lit up, but my controller cant connect. i'll leave it and go for a shower, then if its still not on, i gotta pick up the other half, so i'll leave it on, fingers crossed though! i was hoping to play the ps all day hah.

EDIT: Ladies and Gents, we have a bricker! gonna try the unbrick solution for 4.45 and see if it works.

Last edited:
Associate
I fixed it! Well that was an absolute pain, i almost went and bought a new one, but thankfully didn't!

Ok! so what i done was, download the update on the pc, and put onto a memory stick(make a folder called PS3 and make another one inside that called UPDATE, put your update in there) then you gotta boot into safe mode. now you can find out how to do that online.

Sadly mine didnt want to boot into safe mode, and after countless attempts i pretty much gave up. Then i thought of the most stupid thing ever "I'll take the hard drive out, plug it into the pc and put the update on that!" but by the time i was booting the pc up, it hit me that i could only put the update on it, not install it! so i shut the pc down and plugged it back into the ps3. Gave it one last try and it already booted into some safe mode, so i restarted it and made it boot into safe mode and it did! updated and im back in! whammy!

Caporegime
Sounds like the firmware on the HDD corrupted as part of the firmware update and as soon as you put it in the PC it forces the PS3 to wipe and reinstall the OS.

Its not the same as what others have had in the thread it seems, yours happened as part of the update not a coincidentally issue after it was updated...

Congrats though, always a good feeling when you rescue something from the bin!

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
updated my phat 80gb with an upgraded hdd one today, worked fine for me. Not done my slim 160gb yet.

The issue with the YLOD is very different from the one causing it not to boot. I had not booting on a previous firmware where it damaged the boot files. I just pulled the hdd out and wiped it on my mac. popped it back in and the system moaned that it was a new hdd, and reinstalled the the firmware after the system did what it did via usb.

TBH I think that hdd was on the way out anyway, as I upgraded it a few weeks after; placed the 80gb in a caddy and it stopped working soon after.

Soldato
I updated mine to the latest, the one released after the one that caused all the failures... Got a few hours gaming out of it and it seems pretty dead now... Crashed in GT5, restarting just ain't doing jack. It's a phat model from when GTA4 came out with a 250GB hard drive in it (that I put in donkeys years ago). Will see if I can at least back it up tonight... managed to get through to XBM and System settings but it shut itself down when I pressed it.

Soldato
OP
Got a new skim with last of us bundle

I had multiple accounts on old one and had several of the free games they gave out with the hacking issues but can't remember the email /PW for one of them :(
I take it I have lost all my saved games etc or can I get off old hard drive some how?

Soldato
Well after a long session in this heatwave playing deadspace 3 and the last of Us my ps3 has ylod.

Am trying the heatgun fix to see if I can get my game back :/

It's the very first fat model that can play ps2 games.

Had it since day 1.

btw. It it easy enough to take the drive apart to get my disk back if this works or breaks again?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom