4 bank ram faster than two bank ram

Associate
i have a funny constellation with my pc memory config.

i use 4 memory modules a 16GB ram corsair vengeance ddr4 3200 cl16 on a gigabyte 570 AMD board (all 4 dimm slots, 64GB). these modules work nicely together and stable for daily work with 3533 cl16 and 1.41V.

i just decided to sell 32GB because i bought it cheap (45E per 16GB) it seems a good time to sell.

now the problem:

no matter what i try with only two modules. i can not find a config with the same stable overclock at 3533 mhz or more with only using two of the modules regardless how i combine them and what dimm slots i use (A or B).

has anyone experienced such a weird ram clock problem ? i always thought that 4 memory modules work less stable than 2 and that using only 2 dimm slots is better for good overclock. im kind of surprised.

Soldato
Maybe the board defaulted to different timings/voltages with the 4 dimms to help with stability and now you're only using 2 it's running more aggressive timings etc.

Associate
Shot in the dark but if you didn't clear CMOS from when you ran 4 sticks (should be a2 and b2 for 2 stick btw) then stuff like cadbus will not have changed iirc. Clear CMOS and let it retrain for 2 stick.

Back
Top Bottom