4 Monitor set up

Associate
Is this possible with Nvidia Surround

If I have two GTX 4GB 680's to use in Surround mode with three displays, can I add a 4th display to run in non-surround mode at the same time.

The three monitors in surround would be 1920x1080 (5760x1080) and the other monitor 27'' 2560x1440.

Has anyone got something similar set up I'm thinking about this but not sure if it's a good idea/or just a waste of money (that I'm willing to spend either way)

Monitors for surround - Samsung Eyeinfinity Bundle - 3x S23A700D

27'' Monitor -Hazro HZ27WC

Caporegime
I've no first hand knowledge of this.

Looking at the link here it suggests you can't add a fourth display.

Click on "Connector Recommendations".

Hopefully someone can give you a definite answer from their personal experience.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've no first hand knowledge of this.

Looking at the link here it suggests you can't add a fourth display.

Click on "Connector Recommendations".

Hopefully someone can give you a definite answer from their personal experience.

Looks like a found an answer :D on there and from a review http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/3d-vision-surround-requirements-uk.html

For the record, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 can up to four monitors at once, but one must be an accessory display. This means you can game on up to three monitors at a time thanks to NVIDIA Surround

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1887/

Which is pretty much what I wanted to do anyway :)

Caporegime
Looks like a found an answer :D on there and from a review http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/3d-vision-surround-requirements-uk.html

For the record, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 can up to four monitors at once, but one must be an accessory display. This means you can game on up to three monitors at a time thanks to NVIDIA Surround

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1887/

Which is pretty much what I wanted to do anyway :)

I completely misread your first post.

The answer is that you can do it with the GTX 680 as you can see from the link I posted.

For some reason I was looking at the GTX 480 :o

Soldato
Just to high jack this thread....to play 3d media you need 120htz am I right? And to get 3 monitors to play at 120htz I'd need 2 extra mini port USB connectors am I right? What card would I need to run 3 monitors and have a spare hdmi for a tv?

Associate
OP
Just to high jack this thread....to play 3d media you need 120htz am I right? And to get 3 monitors to play at 120htz I'd need 2 extra mini port USB connectors am I right? What card would I need to run 3 monitors and have a spare hdmi for a tv?

What GPU ? I'm not sure if it requires any extra connections to get 120hz should already be supported on the GPU if it's compatible.

Associate
OP
I completely misread your first post.

The answer is that you can do it with the GTX 680 as you can see from the link I posted.

For some reason I was looking at the GTX 480 :o

;) yeah seems the configuration is much simpler than I was anticipating it's as simple as making sure two other connections for the surround set-up are on the same GPU doesn't get any easier than that.

Associate
OP
I think you can get 1 monitor at 120htz and the others run at 60 htz. Hopefully someone will come along and tell me to shut up.

I'm not in a position to answer this but I'd be disappointed if that was the case and doubt it as well. I know for AMD users who don't have enough inputs they need a dual link to dvi adapter. I think I'm right in saying at least the 680 GPU's I'm planning on getting do and will be able to run at 120hz and even in 3d within a 3 monitor set-up. Although 3d is of no importance to me unless I get Tron Legacy on Blu Ray.

Yeah I feel clueless as well now if's and buts :D

Caporegime

I'm not sure about the 120Hz for 3D media (films?) bit.

Doesn't 3D BluRay work at something like 48FPS (24 for each eye)?

A single GTX 680 can run 3 displays at 120Hz and have the HDMI free for a TV though it would only be up to 60Hz.

Assuming the monitors were dual link DVI then the connections would be:

• Dual link DVI from the graphics card to monitor 1
  • Dual link DVI from the graphics card to monitor 2
  • DisplayPort to dual link DVI from the graphics card to monitor 3 using an adapter like this but DP instead of miniDP (£75 ouch)
  • HDMI from the graphics card to the TV

Associate
OP
how are you planning to arrange the monitors?:O thats a lot of space xD

you could always use a cheap gfx card if needed too, for the 4th

Not the way you're expecting I'd imagine. Most people would have the 27'' in the middle above the triple monitor set-up.

I have one huge desk so it'll just be 3 monitors in surround to the left of me for gaming/movies and the 27'' monitor right in front of me for general web browsing/video editing.

All I'd have to do is move my head side to side based on the activity at hand nice and simple. Or just spin in my chair to get the angle needed for surround, unconventional perhaps but that's how I'd want it based on my desk design.

Although I may go the intended route

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US...0/GTX680-Surround-AccessoryDisplay-Skyrim.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom