4-pin cpu power

Caporegime
6pin? that sounds like a PCI-E power connector for a GFX card.

You should have either 4pin or 8pin ATX (and yes you can hang pins of those of the side of the connector and use just the 4)

But also dont mistake 8pin PCI-E for gfx card as 8pin ATX either.

Also some 8pin ATX are made up by putting a 4+4 together.

Associate
OP
Most CPU power connections are either 4 or 8.

What PSU are you using?

Antec 750w 80+ plat

6pin? that sounds like a PCI-E power connector for a GFX card.

You should have either 4pin or 8pin ATX (and yes you can hang pins of those of the side of the connector and use just the 4)

But also dont mistake 8pin PCI-E for gfx card as 8pin ATX either.

Also some 8pin ATX are made up by putting a 4+4 together.

So now i have to buy more pins for the gfx connecter? Gonna do custom wiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
That PSU should have all cables+connectors you could ever want,

It should have all this,

Untitled_zpsjuu1jjsa.png~original

Caporegime
No, ATX refers to board.

GFX is PCi-E (the slot the card goes into is PCI-E)

None of these connectors should fit one another as the shape of the the plastic bits around each pin are all different.

Caporegime
See your first post asked about using a 6pin connector for the 4pin ATX on a motherboard.

We assumed (well i did) that you were think of using a 6pin PCI-E (for a gfx card) for this and have 2pins hanging of the connector, this you should not do.

Now you are talking about custom cabling, if you dont have all the right connectors to make up the right cables then I cant help you.

Caporegime
No.

That could be clearer by saying hang pins from 8 pin ATX over the side of the boards 4pin socket.

As you can see in the picture yours will separate into 2 X 4pin, only one of these will fit in the 4pin socket due to the shape of the plastic bits.

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
The pins, or crimps you want are atx as per your photo.

The plastic housings for them are specific to what they connect to, they have slightly different shapes to prevent plugging into the wrong places.

You would want a 4 pin ATX/EPS plastic housing like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakmods-...513076?hash=item2ed21b7f74:g:EaQAAMXQtUxTegzv

The thing your talking about has been on my mind. Im going to use a 6 pin connecter but only wire it as if its a 4 pin. Unless i have a 4 pin somewhere among the boxes.

Man of Honour
The thing your talking about has been on my mind. Im going to use a 6 pin connecter but only wire it as if its a 4 pin. Unless i have a 4 pin somewhere among the boxes.

check the 6 pin physically fits on 4 pins before you go to the bother of wiring it up.

they have small notches which mean they only go on in a certain orientation - it will save you a lot of hassle.

Back
Top Bottom