4 Pin fan, can I just run it off the mobo

Soldato
Off the Molex, yeah sure. Just use enough splitters and you're good.

Off the Mobo... Possibly not. Sometimes those headers can only deliver enough oomph for one or two fans, especially on older boards. There are ways around it with threads explaining, but they're fiddly and not my specialty.

Soldato
Why buy PWM fan and a PWM splitter that uses PSU for power and PWM signal from motherboard fan header and then run fans at full speed all the time. Only time case fans need to run full speed is when CPU and GPU coolers are running full speed.

Permabanned
OP
Why buy PWM fan and a PWM splitter that uses PSU for power and PWM signal from motherboard fan header and then run fans at full speed all the time. Only time case fans need to run full speed is when CPU and GPU coolers are running full speed.

It's for a GPU miner

The fan that meet the specs only come in PWM

Expand your horizons perhaps.

Soldato
It's for a GPU miner

The fan that meet the specs only come in PWM

Expand your horizons perhaps.
Sorry but that did not answer the question .. which was 'Why not use PWM control so fans only spin as fast as needed based on GPU temp which is dependent somewhat on room ambient air temp?'

Soldato
For 100% speed all the time something like...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...4-pin-molex-to-4-fans-ak-cb001-cb-030-ak.html

..would be more appropriate, perhaps with the side removed to accomodate 4 pin fans, or a 4 pin compatible variant. Or one of the PCB distribution board types.

Or buy 3 pin fans as the additional cost for PWM fans that affords the digitial control method is totally wasted if you are just going to run them at 100%.

Not sure why you are committed to these particular fans as any fan running at 1900rpm or so will produce, more or less the same level of airflow, static pressure and howling noise levels given you choose a 7 bladed fan.

Associate
Soldato
Agree with doyll. Stuffing two wires into a terminal designed for one is bad enough but stuffing an extra one in there is not a good idea.

I've lost count of the number of people who bought one of the Akasa and then complained that they didn't work, only later to find that the wire had broken off inside the terminal.

I even bought one before realising how they'd done it, saw how bad it was and never used it.

Last edited:
Soldato
then ill buy another one, they cheap mang!
Are you really that bull headed that you won't listen to Tealc's many years of experience and logic (or mine) and when your Akasa splitter fails you will not pay 2 quid more for one that will not fail you later on?
If you had known what we are saying our posts the first time you bought and had paid the extra 2 quid it would be cheaper than buying 2 Akasas' that stress fatigue and break. :p

Back
Top Bottom