40" HDR TV for under £500?!

Associate
Hi
After a new tv for my living room, i currently have a sony TV which is ok but fancy something new and make the most of my Xbox One S

I know im not going to get a world beater of a TV for my budget of upto £500 and 40" maybe 42/43" but nothing bigger
but surely there is a decent one available that would be ideal for use with the xbox one s

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you mean with a 10 bit panel, or one ready to receive an HDR signal? Think of it like back in the days of 'HD ready' and 'HD', but without the slightly clearer definition of what 'HD ready' means!

Associate
OP
Do you mean with a 10 bit panel, or one ready to receive an HDR signal? Think of it like back in the days of 'HD ready' and 'HD', but without the slightly clearer definition of what 'HD ready' means!
Havent got a clue :confused:
just wanted to play games in HDR (gears) or use the 4k player built into the xbox one s

Soldato
not spending that much
Might as well just keep my sony tv then
£500 is my max, surely there is a decent model for that just for gaming?!

Not with actual HDR though, just those that can take an HDR signal (they're often labelled as HDR TVs though, which makes it a right muddle!).

I had a lower budget than you when I started, but doubled it to go for a telly (Samsung 49KS7000) that would last me a good few years with actual HDR, mainly becuase I wasn't going to wait for OLED to come down in price in a few years' time as I 'needed' a telly pronto, and wasn't going to plough 400 into something I'd then replace a few years later. Buy right and buy once (and for some the Sammy still isn't buying 'right' as it's not OLED :D)

It sounds like it makes sense for you to wait it out then if you have a telly currently that you can use and are pleased with.

Caporegime
not spending that much
Might as well just keep my sony tv then
£500 is my max, surely there is a decent model for that just for gaming?!

not if you want proper HDR there isn't.

you can get virtual HDR which is 8 bit with dithering the next best thing.

or fake HDR which just accepts a HDR signal but cannot display it. basically meaning you will never see any HDR on screen.

so no there isn't a decent model for that just for gaming. the cheapest one to go for is the KS7000.

Associate
OP
Ill leave it then
Thanks guys for your help
Saw a few tv's on richersounds etc and thought one would be ok, but ill bow to your superior knowledge because when it comes to latest tv tech i havent got the foggiest

Thanks again

Caporegime
I think the 55" at £900 offers the best in value for money

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...gclid=CLKis-Su29ICFdQW0wodjBkDrg&gclsrc=aw.ds

all other 4k tv's below this price point don't do real 10 bit HDR either because they can't go bright enough or aren't a 10 bit panel.

it would be like buying a 4k blu ray player and 4k blu rays and using it on a 720p tv. what is the point in spending all that extra money on 4k content when you cannot see the benefits?

it isn't cheap but were you expecting a 4k HDR tv to be cheap? 4k Tv's are cheap yes. proper HDR ones then nope.

Associate
OP
I think the 55" at £900 offers the best in value for money

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...gclid=CLKis-Su29ICFdQW0wodjBkDrg&gclsrc=aw.ds

all other 4k tv's below this price point don't do real 10 bit HDR either because they can't go bright enough or aren't a 10 bit panel.

it would be like buying a 4k blu ray player and 4k blu rays and using it on a 720p tv. what is the point in spending all that extra money on 4k content when you cannot see the benefits?

it isn't cheap but were you expecting a 4k HDR tv to be cheap? 4k Tv's are cheap yes. proper HDR ones then nope.
Like i said i didnt understand it all
I have seen samsung 4k HDR TVs for like £449
Now i know they arent true HDR
But not spending that much!
Ill stick to 1080p for the foreseeable future

Soldato
Ill stick to 1080p for the foreseeable future
Also worth looking into your set-up in terms of how far you are from the screen. You won't get the benefits of the 'upgrade' if you're sitting over a certain distance from a screen of a certain resolution at a certain size.

Definitely wise doing digging into TVs. PsychoSonny was the one who got me to double my budget, as what he was saying was backed-up by what I then began to find elsewhere when I knew what sort of nifty tricks the manufacturers were playing. It's frankly shocking they can get away with saying what they do with regards HDR. Arguably the same with 4K when the resolution isn't actually 4k...but less irksome given it's so much easier to find out the screen's resolution.

Associate
Stick with your 1080p if your happy with it. I was going to go for the 49" KS7000. I have the sammy H6400 48" and very happy with it. My next TV will be OLED in around 3 years time when things have settled with the tech 2 half to 3 grand is going to be my next TV. At the moment all my collection are BluRays. Im not going to pay rip off Sky for there Sky Q and im not intrested in Amazon prime or Netflix at the moment

Associate
OP
I have a sony bravia android tv
I am happy with it, but sold some stuff so had some money spare so to speak..
I bought the xbox one s on launch and wondered about the HDR and 4k bluray
But like i said im not paying £800 for a tv, dont game enough in the living room or even use the xbox one that much to warrant me spending that much

Interesting to read all these TVs that claim to be HDR actually arent, very misleading

Associate
If your happy do not change. Thing is you can change and then not be happy with your next TV or it has a fault then you wished you had never of changed. Don't get me wrong the KS7000 does look nice. Save your money and save a decent amount for your next TV, Bet in next few year you will be pleased that you did instead of impulse buying

Associate
OP
It would be an impulse buy
Just saw richersounds had offers on the 4k HDR TVs and thought "hey they are cheap for HDR 4K"

Hence me creating this thread but I genuinely thought someone would say "yes this particular model will do you fine for your budget"

But oh well, money saved ill get me the switch pro controller and preorder mario kart instead :p

Soldato
It would be an impulse buy
Just saw richersounds had offers on the 4k HDR TVs and thought "hey they are cheap for HDR 4K"

Hence me creating this thread but I genuinely thought someone would say "yes this particular model will do you fine for your budget"

But oh well, money saved ill get me the switch pro controller and preorder mario kart instead :p

Go to that high street retailer with 99.9% APR and ask them can you have that on 20 year 99.9% APR credit. And you want the full service plan and insurance :)

Associate
Tech is always changing. I was tempted to go and get OLED last week but thought to myself why do i need to just to show the screen off to friends. When i sat and thought about it we do not need to change the TV we have now.

Back
Top Bottom