40 y/o no pension, work place 1% pension, or ISA, or?

Associate
Yes conviction.

Those 4 shares might outperform the market.

It’s just an idea to be fair.

Just taking one of them as an example (shell) hasn’t missed a dividend payment since the second world war

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes conviction.

Those 4 shares might outperform the market.

It’s just an idea to be fair.

Just taking one of them as an example (shell) hasn’t missed a dividend payment since the second world war

Must admit, I favour individual stocks, but I'm also very independent and contrarian in investing style, a huge numbers geek and probably enjoy slightly more exposure to risk than the average person.

For the beginner who's not got an appetite for furthering their investing knowledge, a fund isn't a bad bet. I'd always encourage people to learn, but many will just want to invest simply and easily, and I can respect that. I'd hate for someone to get bitten buying oil stocks at a peak, see them dive 40% in a bear market, then have to sell up to release the funds for whatever reason, losing out in the process.

Soldato
Good grief, that’s a lot. You must be in some fairly unusual circumstances to be able to afford that.

I suspect if you don't have rent or have a low mortgage payment a lot of people could do that if they had the motivation to do so.

Usually in your career you earn way more in your late 30s than you do in your early 20s, i.e you used to get by with a lot less.

Caporegime
I suspect if you don't have rent or have a low mortgage payment a lot of people could do that if they had the motivation to do so.

Usually in your career you earn way more in your late 30s than you do in your early 20s, i.e you used to get by with a lot less.
I’m in my 30s, but between a mortgage and kids I couldn’t touch 30%! Roll on paying off the mortgage... and get these kids out of the house...

Soldato
Late 30s here and don't have a pension either. Had a couple from previous jobs but amount of time spent putting money in will make them next to worthless, plus I've no idea where they are or how to get hold of them.

Will probably end up relying on a mixture of savings, state pension and inheritance.

Soldato
Associate
As much as I agree with being sensible about pensions I should say that 20% of will die before taking it, and a much higher percentage will be far too ill to enjoy it. I'm in the camp of putting any extra into your mortgage and getting it paid off.

Soldato
As much as I agree with being sensible about pensions I should say that 20% of will die before taking it, and a much higher percentage will be far too ill to enjoy it. I'm in the camp of putting any extra into your mortgage and getting it paid off.
Remember a pension can also act like an insurance policy so if sod and his law does decide to step in and stuff your plans at least it can help out the family still behind.

Caporegime
I'e been getting nervous of my 10% matched pension being started too late (started at 26).so I maxed it out.

Personally feel op needs to do something drastic quick. But that's easy to say, hard to do

Soldato
As always with a retirement thread, there's some serious nonsense posted in reply.

Some advice guys, I have 10 days to opt in/out of the new workplace pension scheme, 1% from me and employer contributes 1%. The pension company they have chose gets a bad rep on google/MSE etc

Screenshot shows how much a year this would equate to, and the state pension certainly won't be enough.

What are my options, i've heard of people using ISA for a better return on money?

OP, start by looking at your needs and then your means, and then the solutions should be more clear.

If you're genuinely saving for retirement, then the pension is the first option in 99% of cases. Tax relief and employer contribution, in your case, make it compelling.

One of the great frustrations about retirement saving is people doing a pension illustration, not getting the answer they want and abandoning all the great benefits to just do some general saving instead. They should try doing a normal savings illustration without the benefit of tax relief and an employer contribution and see just how much more disappointing the result really is.

Soldato
Pensions, one of those things that make me nervous as well on if I made the right decision.

I stopped paying into a pension pot (apart from the state, if such a thing will exist when I hit retirement age!) a number of years ago and pumped all of my money into buying additional properties.

That's my retirement plan, its a gamble so to speak, but if it pays off I will have significant assets when I retire to use as an income (minus mortgage expenses) or as equity to sell/release to see me and the missus through.

As a self-employed expat there is no employer contribution for me, so I need to make as much money as I can and invest it well.

Back
Top Bottom