• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
Seems that the specifications for this celebratory processor have been seen around and about.

• 14nm Coffee Lake-S architecture with LGA 1151 socket
  • 6 Cores / 12 Threads
  • Base / Boost of 4.00GHz / 5.10GHz, Unlocked
  • L3 cache size: 12MB
  • On board graphics: UHD630
  • 95W TDP
Product code for the boxed version is BX80684I78086K and the price looks to be around $480, or about $110 more than the 8700K. If you extrapolate the UK cost for CPU using the MSRP for the 8700K, then it shoould be about £360-410 depending on if retailers gouge it.

First CPU to come with over 5.0GHz out of the box, with boost. I wonder if this is soldered not tooth pasted on. :D

Hope OCUK have shifted all their overpriced 8700K de-lid chips before this is out, otherwise they'll be sat doing nothing.

EDIT: Already listed on one UK site with pre-order price of £399.12 with free delivery, includes VAT an will be shipped on the 6th of June.

Associate
Some are saying 5ghz... still pretty good if not a record breaker.
I wonder if it really is 95w TDP :p prob miles away once everyone runs there MCE options.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Shame they don't make something actually special for the anniversary CPUs - 6 core / 12 threads is so meh today.

Associate
Shame they don't make something actually special for the anniversary CPUs - 6 core / 12 threads is so meh today.
Yeah thats what i thought, 6 core is so ... well its just so so.. i dont care if it can hit 5 bajillion megawabbits its still only playing with a six pack ... and six packs and me dont last long :p

What a great time to release intels 8 core non HEDT chip... that would have been something.. except.. its not ready yet and it wont be hitting 5 megawabbits or what ever.

Soldato
OP
Nothing special if its just a binned 8700k with the 8c12t chips round the corner.

I don't even think that 8c, and I assume you meant 16t CPU's are anything special anymore. So if they chose to launch it at that specification but a lower clock speed would it have had a great impact?

Going to be a bit weird, if you were in the market for an 8700K, since this removes the appeal, even more so if you weren't really into overclocking and tweaking, as 5.0GHz boost with a decent AIO/Air cooler shouldn't be much of a challenge.
I suppose they could throw a surprise in the box, by including a cooler, maybe an BBB (not RBG this is Intel) with an Intel logo that lights up etc. :p

Soldato
And the thoughts of Ryzen 2 take a sudden pause.

No, really, most of what I do is limited by 1 thread, and if it isn't, then this 1600X is overkill for it. Hex core with 5.0 boost out the box would really hit the spot.

...if they solder the little fekker. If it's more toothpaste they can take a leap.

Back
Top Bottom