• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
They are all binned in some sort of fashion, this just means they are keeping more of the good ones back for yet more binning, so you have less chance of getting such a good one from the 8700K retail stack.

I was thinking of this isn't a binned 8700K what is it? It has 6 cores and 12 threads on the same process. What else is there physically they could change? Soldered would be one but would fly in the face of their reasoning for using toothpaste. They aren't changing the architecture for this one chip. They may throw in some goodies but that doesn't physically alter the chip from an 8700K.

Seems an odd one to me. Only sense it magus is if you were contemplating buying an expensive binned 8700K.

It should really be called an Anniversary 8700K. The rest is marketing guff in my opinion.

Soldato
Intel has had enough of seeing 3rd parties skimming off profits from selling binned chips so for a premium they're doing their own pre-binned chips.

A new name to suggest it's a new chip though ;)

Soldato
It's obvious it's a binned 8700k, and it's obvious Intel want some of that silicon lottery cash.

I still expect these chips to be binned further for outrageous prices by 3rd parties if at all possible.

But it is interesting, I eouwould be surprised if less 8700k able to get 5ghz or over appear as Intel basically holds that stock back for the new 8086

Soldato
Don’t they always quote max turbo boost which is always on one core ? Could very well be a 4790k situation as those later 4770k were rubbish clockers due to intel binning all the good ones for the incoming devils canyon.

Soldato
For a company the size of OCuK, the binning process makes sense, but for Intel I highly doubt it. That's a lot of effort in an attempt to squeeze a little bit of cash out of the enthusiast segment?

This, really. Seems like there must be tens or hundreds of mundane office and home PCs for every enthusiast with a bleeding edge rig. Doesn't seem worth the effort purely for profit; far more money in low-midrange laptops!

Associate
I am surprised folk seem to be
Only 5ghz on one core for this 8086K? Isn’t that false advertising then if the other cores arnt as fast?

Thats exactly the way all the other processors with boost are marketed.
You dont think you get 4.7Ghz on all cores boost with he 8700k or 4.4Ghz on all the cores in a 7980XE do you?
They cant run them all at that speed.

Associate
This, really. Seems like there must be tens or hundreds of mundane office and home PCs for every enthusiast with a bleeding edge rig. Doesn't seem worth the effort purely for profit; far more money in low-midrange laptops!
For a company the size of OCuK, the binning process makes sense, but for Intel I highly doubt it. That's a lot of effort in an attempt to squeeze a little bit of cash out of the enthusiast segment?
Or they can bin the chip according to a well known batch of silicon and manufacturer process just like Haswell-E "J batch". Our binning process is rather "primitive" because we don't know internally or have some sort of machinery to scan the voltage leakage of the chip, I bet Intel does have all that.
For 8700K, early batches L729C, L740C/D, L739C, L751D,etc... seems to go 5.2Ghz and beyond easily, just a hypothesis but most of them have a C or D in the middle.

Soldato
I love the way all the news sites reported it as the first CPU to hit 5GHz out of the box then had to edit that to first Intel CPU :p

Also it's 16 years behind schedule, oh well, hopefully they hit their next big milestone (8-10GHz by the end of 2005) :D

Soldato
OP
Product shall be available to pre-order on 8th June, that is when NDA lifts, anyone advertising now is in breach of NDA and won't be getting any stock.

Can't be in breach of a NDA if you didn't sign one, and you are simply listing what a disti is showing you ;)

In other news, deliveries confirmed for 20th June, will see if that happens based on Intel's past (recent) performance with processor releases, I'd imagine some slippage would be embarrassing

Soldato
We shall also looking at offer 8 Pack de-lidded binned variations of them, including some with superior silver / copper IHS for even lower temperatures

So, toothpaste confirmed? :(

Also, don't suppose you'd consider a delid-lottery option? Feels like a lot of folks would pay £50 to pop the top just for the temps :)

Associate
Almost certain to be toothpaste, intel aint going to run a new line just to put solder on a few very high end chips.

Basically this is just an 8700k with a boost of a few hundred mhz more as its binned better, doubt its anything more than that.
Its a bit expensive for only a 6 core but then folk are paying stupid money for binned and delidded chips elsewhere so why not...

OcUK Staff
Can't be in breach of a NDA if you didn't sign one, and you are simply listing what a disti is showing you ;)

In other news, deliveries confirmed for 20th June, will see if that happens based on Intel's past (recent) performance with processor releases, I'd imagine some slippage would be embarrassing

Removed

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Distribution on allocated stock is normally instructed who they can ship too and who they cannot, of course the distributor cannot follow such instruction but then magically when it comes to next allocation they may be a little short on supply.

Indeed, this sort of illegal under the table practice happens in a lot of industries, and it is disgusting. Just another way to have the people selling your product on a leash, completely anti-competitive and only helps the manufacturer of the product not the end users, it's vile, abhorrent and outdated. :mad:

We shall see what happens, but we won't violate an NDA and then risk our supply been reduced or cut completely, not worth it particular on a product where will will sell thousands of units. :)

See, above if you signed an NDA, then fair play, if you didn't then you are simply allowing the former to happen.

Soldato
Or they can bin the chip according to a well known batch of silicon and manufacturer process just like Haswell-E "J batch". Our binning process is rather "primitive" because we don't know internally or have some sort of machinery to scan the voltage leakage of the chip, I bet Intel does have all that.
For 8700K, early batches L729C, L740C/D, L739C, L751D,etc... seems to go 5.2Ghz and beyond easily, just a hypothesis but most of them have a C or D in the middle.

This..

The common man is not buying this Anniversary chip, the OEM's are not buying this Anniversary chip, these are aimed at Intel enthusiasts, Intel will bin these and charge for it, and then they will get binned further as Gibbo above states.

Wouldnt suprise me if as above, the earlier batches of C and D have been stockpiled further by Intel and any other magic batches they have identified..

This could well become relevant with the AMD 7nm stuff as well, Lisa Su has said different products at different foundries, but we all know if they hit a homerun with one product and cant keep up demand they will move it to the other foundry, then you will end up playing the lottery with those chips etc.

Anyhow, this is just a rebadged top tier 8700k :)

OcUK Staff
Indeed, this sort of illegal under the table practice happens in a lot of industries, and it is disgusting. Just another way to have the people selling your product on a leash, completely anti-competitive and only helps the manufacturer of the product not the end users, it's vile, abhorrent and outdated. :mad:

See, above if you signed an NDA, then fair play, if you didn't then you are simply allowing the former to happen.
Removed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom