42" OLED - HDMI 2.1 - VRR - 120hz - HDR - Options?

Soldato
Hi,

Is there anything out there yet worth looking at for the purpose of using it as a monitor for work and also gaming with a console (Xbox Series X) ?

I really like Phillips since getting my Phillips AmbiLight TV for the front room so would love something smaller and suitable for the full modern console HDR gaming experience but that can also be used for work so 48" is just to big and 42" should be fine.

I'm currently using a 1440P monitor but I'm missing out on OLED, 4K and HDR when it comes to gaming

Thanks

Soldato
No 42" OLED out. As you can imagine a number waiting on it, myself included as 48" is just too big for desk, but 42" looks spot on.

LG Display is looking to start mass producing the 42" panel soon apparently and I imagine they have prospetive buyers for it lined up like LG Electronics etc. https://www.kedglobal.com/newsView/ked202105100009

Personally, I expect we will see it as part of next years 2022 lineup for LG Electronics and showcased at CES.

Soldato
OP
No 42" OLED out. As you can imagine a number waiting on it, myself included as 48" is just too big for desk, but 42" looks spot on.

LG Display is looking to start mass producing the 42" panel soon apparently and I imagine they have prospetive buyers for it lined up like LG Electronics etc. https://www.kedglobal.com/newsView/ked202105100009

Personally, I expect we will see it as part of next years 2022 lineup for LG Electronics and showcased at CES.

Ah ok, a long wait with demand included after the release by the sound of things.

More time to have the cash together to preorder I suppose, it's interesting that monitors of the same spec will be more expensive than these, most people wanting a high end gaming monitor will surely just buy one of these so I expect demand will be high

Soldato
Yep, will be interesting to see what happens in the market when these come out to more typical monitors. Will really tick most peoples box's for high end monitor.

Soldato
A 43" on a desk for context

uc

Associate
160 x 80cm. Love the desk.. Ikea Galant.
I still use my Galant 120 X 60cm desk top in my new(ish) standing desk frame on top of which I have two1440P 27" monitors.

Now each of those is 60cm wide while a 43" TV is "only"95cm wide and even 49" TV/monitor would "only" be around 110cm wide. Ergo, a 55" screen would be as wide as both my 27" monitors.

So width wise, the bigger screens would work for me.

However, I can think of a number of reasons I won't be swapping for a 43" / 49" or 55" screen anytime some.

Mainly that the vertical height is just too much for productive use with too much eye movement required.

Now I could easily make some AutoHotkey macros to snap to lower quadrants etc. as Windows doesn't support that, but then I'd possible also want custom resolutions liked 3940 X 1440p or 1600P leaving the top or bottom with a border.

Then to not waste energy, I'd want local dimming (or OLED) to kick in and leave the unused parts of the screen not backlit.

Custom resolutions only using parts of the vertical space might be a good protection against OLED burn-in too. Plus I have found a flaw with standing desks: the ideal monitor height above the desktop while sitting is not the same as while standing, so a AutoHotkey macro to change that (i.e. move any border up or down) would be a good idea too.

So I've though about large screens a fair bit just unsure if they are currently for me.

Back
Top Bottom