£450 for a Hardtail MTB or Hybrid

HaX

HaX

Associate
Hi there.

I've managed to save £450 for a new bike. Looking for a reasonable hard tail or possibly maybe even a hybrid.

One of my pet hates is cable disks, so any bike which has them is a definate no no.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

HaX

Permabanned
Giant XTC SE Bike 2006, its on Wiggle for £374. Good spec, VERY nice bike. Ive ridden one and found it nice. And for the price? Bargin

giant%20xtc%20se%20bike%2006.jpg

Heres the link

HaX

HaX

Associate
OP
That Giant XTC looks a really good bike, and at such a low price is a give away.

I have three concerns ordering a bike from the internet.

1)No way of trying for size - though Wiggle suggest certain bike sizes for people of different height
2)Would a Local Bike Shop set it up for me and fit a few extras, even though I'd brought it from somewhere else (obviously I'd pay them...).
3)Would the bike be packaged well enough to prevent damage in transit. Must be very tough things to pack!

Cheers

HaX

Soldato
HaX said:
That Giant XTC looks a really good bike, and at such a low price is a give away.

I have three concerns ordering a bike from the internet.

1)No way of trying for size - though Wiggle suggest certain bike sizes for people of different height
2)Would a Local Bike Shop set it up for me and fit a few extras, even though I'd brought it from somewhere else (obviously I'd pay them...).
3)Would the bike be packaged well enough to prevent damage in transit. Must be very tough things to pack!

Cheers

HaX
All good points, the first being the most important. Even if you know what size you need, all bikes are different, the frame size is just the length of the seat tube, it doesn't give away anything about tob tube length, frame angles, stem rise, bar width etc and these are all things that can make a bike feel very different.

You really need to at least have a sit on what you're paying for before you hand over hundreds of pounds.

Permabanned
I suggest going to local bike dealer which has the giant. Have a go, find a nice frame size and see if they will do a deal. Local shop i went in today has then at £450. If they wont do a deal, order from wiggle with the frame size you tried and was happy with. :)

HaX

HaX

Associate
OP
I've just come back from my local bike shop.

In my price range, they suggested in order of price;

Ridgeback MX4 - quite a nice looking bike - cheap at £300
GENESIS Core 1.0 - Towards the top of my price range at £450.
COMMENCAL Combi - £400
COMMENCAL Combi Disc Hydro - Really pushing it at £500

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on the colours of the Commencal bikes, the combi was in white, and the disk version in red!

The MX4 had RST Gila forks on it, I've never heard of these before? Will they be rubbish?

Another bike shop I visited suggested;

Giant Yukon - Nice looking bike and cheap at £300 - Cable disks though (though the guy at the shop did say they were fairly good).

Claud Butler Cape Wrath - Nice looking bike too, but not a very well though of Brand.

Cheers

HaX

Back
Top Bottom