• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4690K OC to 4.5Ghz still a solid gaming performer?

Soldato
I've been out the loop for a while, and all this Ryzen stuff ha passed me by and confused me a bit.
Just checking that I'm not missing a trick with my i5 4690K. Basically my CPU should be entirely focused for gaming, (thats why I bought the 4690K back in the day)
Sure I do do some video rending and editing, but I have no need to "do it faster". So would rather chase IPC-FPS than core no./render time in that respect. Any of the Ryzen be a big improvement for me?

Associate
I'm rocking an i5 i3570k @4.7, gaming wise it is still fine, for now GPU is still the main contributor of performance to the majority of games.

A newer CPU will be faster but recall the shift from my AMD x6 1100T to i7 3770k being terribly disappointing because actually CPU was not really an issue despite the huge differential in IPC between the two chips, it was always about GPU. Clearly an i5 is probably considered an minimum now but if you have one that clocks well it can carry you for a while yet and games are only starting to use the cores.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm rocking an i5 i3570k @4.7, gaming wise it is still fine, for now GPU is still the main contributor of performance to the majority of games.

A newer CPU will be faster but recall the shift from my AMD x6 1100T to i7 3770k being terribly disappointing because actually CPU was not really an issue despite the huge differential in IPC between the two chips, it was always about GPU. Clearly an i5 is probably considered an minimum now but if you have one that clocks well it can carry you for a while yet and games are only starting to use the cores.

Thanks. From a very quick 5 min browse of reviews I suspected as much.
It does look like Ryzen is hitting it out the park for those many core rendering processes thou! Hitting X99 hard.
Now lets see a big IPC and Ghz jump please. (although am I right in thinking that silicone has near reached it's limit in that regard?)

Soldato
The biggest improvement with Ryzen would be minimum framerates, which is an area where i5s are starting to struggle a little in more CPU-heavy titles (even compared to quad core i7s). It's not worth spending money on a new CPU, motherboard and RAM for though, especially if you only have an RX 480 anyway.

Associate
My i5 4670K is almost 4 years old now, OC to 4Ghz. I've been planning for a while to upgrade to the upcoming i7 Skylake-x this November and give my 4670K to my nephew for christmas.
But I've recently upgraded my graphics from a 770GTX to a 1080 Ti STRIX OC. I tell you what, I wish I hadn't promised to give him my 4670K now, lol. This GPU is just an absolute beast of beasts!
I'm running a 3440x1440 100Hz monitor for games and a 1920x1080 60Hz TV as the 2nd screen for desktop windows.

I suppose your 4690K will be good enough until year 2019, depending on the game and what screen resolution, or if you want to be a streamer then you'd need to upgrade to a new i7 or Ryzen 1700x for great results.

Last edited:
Associate
Iv just upgraded my i7 920 to a i5 4670 and i feel its much quicker but that because the 920 was 8 year old and it was more then capble playing all the new games i play like mass effect and BF1.

Now in bf1 with it all set to ultra 1080p dx12 I get 72-80+ fps

My gpu is a 970gtx

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the same dilemma, but opted to simply increase my OC to 4.5Ghz on my 2600k and all is good for the time being (1080 non-TI). I'll wait for Coffeelake and the hope that we'll see a high-speed 6-core monster from Intel at long last before I decide to upgrade, although I'm secretly hoping that the new Skylake-X octacore is going to be belter).

Back
Top Bottom