• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4770k has died, taken mobo with it - replacement advice plz

Associate
4770k has died, taken mobo with it - or not! Updated thread

My CPU/mobo has died, the CPU fan stopped working mid GTA 5 and ended up as silicon toast :'-(

Looking at benchmarks, the newer stuff isn't that much faster, it feels like I'd be buying and not really seeing much of an improvement over what I had? I hate forced buying if there isn't going to be much benefit, thankfully I have only suffered gfx card failure before and that was after 2 years, back in the days of huge performance jumps each cycle.

What to do? Advice please OCUK :(

****Updated****

The PSU was at fault. Confusing considering the CPU fan is still dead, but hey, **** happens :(. Thanks to the suppliers for the exceptional help.

Last edited:
Associate
As Death said, unless you bought an OEM version, you can contact Intel and they should sort out a warranty for you.

Just buy a Z97 that fits your needs and you'll be back up and running in no time.

Associate
I would have thought the thermal protection would have kicked in. It might be that you can't power it up at the moment as it's too toasty.
If it has died, do you know anyone who has another CPU that you can test in your board?

Associate
And this is why you should always set a critical temperature alarm.

You can normally set this in the bios or download coretemp.

If my fan ever fails and the cpu gets too hot it will let of a crazy alarm, if it reaches critical it shuts down the pc.

Associate
Good luck, hopefully they'll sort you out.

Still surprised like everyone else that the thermal protection didn't kick in. What motherboard do you have?

Associate
Section 14.5.1 Catastrophic Shutdown Detector
P6 family processors introduced a thermal sensor that acts as a catastrophic shutdown detector. This catastrophic shutdown detector was also implemented in Pentium 4, Intel Xeon and Pentium M processors. It is always enabled. When processor core temperature reaches a factory preset level, the sensor trips and processor execution is halted until after the next reset cycle.

The mechanism is builtin to the processor, not under the control of BIOS and not dependent on other sensor outside the processor.

Stolen from the Intel forums.
So the CPU's do have an inbuilt function which makes perfect sense. It must be something else :s
I would start by testing the PSU first with a paperclip (Google that before you zap yourself :D)

Back
Top Bottom