4770k OC Cooling advice, and PWM (+4pin fan headers z87-k & H60)

Associate
Hey all.

Picked up a 4770k cheap and trying achieve a moderate 4.3 - 4.5ghz OC, but Haswell is like molten lava;
@ All stock settings it hits 85(max) after 16 hours Prime95.
@ 4.5ghz, 1.25v (manual), under water (Corsair h80i) = Hits 98oc (?!?!?) after 5 mins of Prime95 blend.

I know a 120mm is not the biggest AIO but 98oC? With case open +next to an open window? Not even close to ideal temps.

@ 4.8ghz it actually boots +runs prime (albeit, for 2mins, before meltdown), so I'm confident it's worth the effort/money to OC.

Plans so far ...
1) Delid +Conductonaut
2) Replace h80i single fan with 2 x PWM Corsair ML120 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation 2400rpm
3) Unload stress on IMC (replacing 4 x 4gb DIMMS with 2 x 8gb as below).
-Current = 1866mhz (cl9) Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1.5v
-New = 2400mhz (cl10) Mushkin Redline @ 1.65v (maybe try for cl7 1600mhz @ 1.5v?)

First all; PWM Questions...
How many PWM fans can I run off a 4pin cha-fan / CPU fan header?

My z87-k has 3 x 4pins (one used by CPU pump)...

Is it possible to have 2 fans sharing PWM with the cpu pump (using a 1 into 3 splitter), or is that unwise?

I really want to upgrade the h80i to push/pull config, so need them both running at same speed... At max I guess they will be crazy loud at - 2400rpm.

Will the fans still ramp up/down with CPU or case temps if plugged into...
a) 3 pin mobo headers?
b) 4pin to extra adapters (eg 'Y' cable? or 1x4pin into 5x4pin Hub)
few of them say "only one fan from the chain will return an RPM to the mobo"... Which i'm guessing it means they will just run at full speed?

Lastly - What would you guys expect a non lidded/delidded 4770k to get with a h80i? I should think 4.5ghz should be relatively easy on a £70 cooler, with good fans/airflow?

Many thanks guys

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also I'm not entirely sure if the AIO is a H80i... And the guy I bought from doesn't know either. Before I thought it was a H60, as noticed the rad on mine (4.5cm thickness) looks beefier than pics of the H60... It has rubbery hoses and a square block with "Scan3xs" plate on it, with angled design.

Have amended post/sig :D

Man of Honour
You may need to delid this to get acceptable temps. I had to do my 4790k because the temps were just ridiculous. What I found once I had removed the IHS was that the rubbish thermal paste that Intel used had "gone off" (the only way I can explain it). It had set like concrete yet was flaking off as well. It was a nightmare to clean up the die but well worth it for the result. I used CLU on the die after applying a thin layer of nail varnish to the row of transisters to rule out shorting if any liquid metal got one them. I then re-attached the IHS using gasket sealant but not on the edge that Intel put's it on. I did it on the inside of the lip so that there is nothing between the IHS and pcb for maximum contact. Once re-installed I had a temp drop of a whopping 25 degrees C under load!! I was well happy with that.

Associate
OP
You may need to delid this to get acceptable temps. I had to do my 4790k because the temps were just ridiculous. What I found once I had removed the IHS was that the rubbish thermal paste that Intel used had "gone off" (the only way I can explain it). It had set like concrete yet was flaking off as well. It was a nightmare to clean up the die but well worth it for the result. I used CLU on the die after applying a thin layer of nail varnish to the row of transisters to rule out shorting if any liquid metal got one them. I then re-attached the IHS using gasket sealant but not on the edge that Intel put's it on. I did it on the inside of the lip so that there is nothing between the IHS and pcb for maximum contact. Once re-installed I had a temp drop of a whopping 25 degrees C under load!! I was well happy with that.

Yeah delidding is first on my list... Bit worried about using nail polish and the general risks involved but gonna give it a go anyway. Always have my i5 build to fall back on if it fails.

Dude do you know if using a PWM splitter will work? Or if I can even put fans onto the same cpu 4 pin header the waterooling pump is on? Cant find amps/wats used by the pump or fans even on corsair website.

Crazy we should have to do this to our own CPU's... Intels are not cheap, soldering dies to IHS should be a standard for a £350+ cpu

Associate
OP
I am not sure about the splitter. Personally I wouldn't use a splitter on the same header that the pump is powered from and prefer that the pump is powered from it's own header.

Yeah would imagine that's right. A mobo header is only 1A if I remember... Hardly a lot.
Reason I ask is...
I want the h80i fans (currently plugged into cha_fan1 header) to go up/down with cpu temps.
How can I do that? Surely that's how these AIO's are supposed to be used?

I've read online a few people think that the 3 pin from pump can be plugged in to any cha_fan or molex - 3pin... However... If the pump dies, and it's plugged into anything other than the cpu_fan header, then surely the BIOS will be unaware, not turn off the system and CPU will fry?
I'm pretty sure the pump feeds back an "rpm" to the mobo, to let it knows it's working.

I had an old Thermaltake LCS system in 2008 where the pump was powered by molex - And that exact thing happened... With TWO pumps. The first time it took out my AMD chip within about 40-60 seconds (by the time I realised the smell of the smoke) and the second time I could HEAR the pump wasn't on at boot, so threw it in the bin an went with air, saying never again to liquid. Only have this AIO because it came with my bundle.
Nowadays the pumps are completely silent... Which is a worry. How would you ever know (before a melted CPU) if it stopped?

Can anyone clear this up? Would mobo switch off automatically if CPU temps got say >100oc? Regardless of whether it was getting an RPM signal for a fan (eg if you had a 12cm fan or fan hub plugged into cpu_fan header)?

Does anyone know how much power these pumps use?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
-Can the PWM function for cha_fan fans be configured to go up/down with cpu temps, not case temps?

-If not... Then maybe I do this;

'cpu_fan' header.
-connect - Y splitter

Y-Splitter.
y-splitter end (a) (4pin) = PWM signal cable to fan hub (literally just a PWM signal for CPU temps)
y-splitter end (b) (3pin) = pump

I'm pretty sure with the above though... the (a) 4pin hub would be the "master" and the (b) pump would be the slave... Therfore the RPM signal would be fed back from Fan#1 of my PWM fan hub... Not the
pump... So could still have the no warning of pump death issue (as mentioned above).
I think this is true because PWM can only accept 1 rpm fan RPM from one header... Not both.

For ref, here is the fan hub I got;

03.jpg

Associate
OP
For anyone viewing this and thinking of using the hub - it HAS to be plugged into the cpu_fan port to control PWM. But plugging in the pump to Fan#1 on the hub STILL feeds back it's rpm to mobo. Unfortunately, the system does not shut down if this RPM setting goes to 0rpm anyway, wether or not it's in the hub. So no safety lost really... A shame... I'm now worried again about this pump breaking. Will go back to air next build.

Back
Top Bottom