4790k & 1080ti Upgrade time..

1080ti is a trooper at 1080p but ramped up it's mixed and obviously doesn't have ray tracing etc..

You're right though, the other option is to carry on at 1080p without the bells and whistles for a few months.

Rest of the system great, very happy I've upgrading everything else. Just seems a bit daft not to have a more modern gpu in it, even for a short while.

7800 gre seems like a good choice, seems to OC well also? Just doesn't have as good RT as the 4070 S and being able to play Cyberpunk better was the big reason for me upgrading.

So, I'm on the fence..

Last edited:
With Ultra RT, the 4070s manages 50fps at 1440p compared to 36 on the 7900GRE

That coupd be considered completely unplayable on either card to some. Or it could be the difference between playable and unplayable to others.

Wondering if a 4070 Super or a 7900 Gre is a decent enough stop gap for 1440p ultra on Cyberpunk, modded Skyrim, RDR2 etc..? To last me 6 - 12 months?
They're decent cards for 1440p, for a modest 1440p gamer they'd easily last 3-4 years and are roughly double the speed of your 1080 Ti.

Cyberpunk with DLSS works well, some people are fine with it but others not. That alone would be enough to push me toward Nvidia, I do not get on with FSR in most titles.

You'll see much higher frames than the above with DLSS on quality mode. Whether people like it or not, upscaling tech is here to stay, and I'd argue a necessity in many modern games when running mid range cards.

Last edited:
You'll see much higher frames than the above with DLSS on quality mode. Whether people like it or not, upscaling tech is here to stay, and I'd argue a necessity in many modern games when running mid range cards.
True, but feels tricky to include DLSS results when comparing benchmarks.

I'd be happier with the extra vram instead of DLSS features though.

Your case and PSU should be fine, although at ten years old I'd consider a change.

For £2500 you could get an extremely good rig with a monitor even if you didn't keep your case and PSU.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,906.85 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Example build, make sure the PSU and GPU fit in that case.

AM5 is by far your best bet if future proofing is a concern, and the 7800X3D is pretty much the best gaming CPU on the market right now.

Look at the Thermalright Phantom Spirit HSF for around £30.

You could swap the 4080S for an AMD 7900XTX depending on your needs.

As for the monitor, the Alienware AW3423DWF 34" Ultrawide WQHD QD-OLED has been available for around the £600 mark off and on lately and might see further price drops, it would match extremely well with the above rig and bring you to around your overall budget.
This is almost the same spec as I'd recommended for a friend albeit with different brand mobo and memory. For a budget conscious build that you could upgrade from consider getting that intel GPU that's roughly equivalent to a 3060ti but £200ish new, then upgrade it later or when there's a cracking deal on Black Friday or something. Still amazing games performance imo.

do how much money do you actually have to spend on the GPU? do you plan on using ray tracing, esp for cyberpunk?
I weighed it all up in terms of features, price and where we are in the cycle and went with a 4070ti Super for £800. Been playing at 1440p.

It's been great, so far. Huge jump from where I was.

System working great. Just need to sort out things like fan curves.

I'll be keeping an eye on 5090 release dates and prices, along with the new x3d chips when released, see if there's much value in upgrades.

I weighed it all up in terms of features, price and where we are in the cycle and went with a 4070ti Super for £800. Been playing at 1440p.

It's been great, so far. Huge jump from where I was.

System working great. Just need to sort out things like fan curves.

I'll be keeping an eye on 5090 release dates and prices, along with the new x3d chips when released, see if there's much value in upgrades.
Are you selling the 1080ti?

Back
Top Bottom