1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Grim5, 15 Feb 2021.

1. sparkymark75

Mobster

You would usually call it a hidden gem after playing it. Or is gameplay second to implementing ray-tracing and DLSS?

2. shankly1985

Capodecina

I enjoyed exodus but it's not metro 1 or 2. I didn't really like the openworld part of it.

Will definitely give the upgrade a try.

3. ebilcake

Wise Guy

Excellent news.... But how long do we have to wait for this?

Hopefully because they've designed this around the new consoles, the RT performance while matching their settings should be quite good.

Based on DF comparisons, RT performance on next gen consoles is not that good, they usually need lower than lowest quality RT on PC and have to fall back to 30fps. One thing we haven't seen yet is a well optimized RT game, because it's a feature that's bolted on rather than the engine being designed around it.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2021
  4. muziqaz

Wise Guy

I'm pretty sure, they got compensated by nVidia to implement all the features.

5. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

They said a Spring release, so anywhere from end of March, to end of June.

6. Gregster

Caporegime

Decent and a free upgrade is always welcomed :)

7. kevman

Wise Guy

Good news - I am about a third through the original as I was waiting for an RTX card to play the game. Might put on ice now until this update is available.

8. fs123

Mobster

I heard PS5/Xbox won't have RT reflections. Is that true?

9. Dontrocktheboat

Wise Guy

Never played exodus. so its a hidden gem for me. Ray tracing and DLSS is just an extra cherry.

10. fs123

Mobster

They did this to release PS5 and XSX versions with RT. Obviously want to cash in on the RT hype.

11. Th0nt

Capodecina

This should be right up @Rroff street :)

12. sparkymark75

Mobster

It appears to be the sole reason you’re playing it.

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

Not really into the Metro games - waiting to see footage as to how well they implement this one.

14. Th0nt

Capodecina

Your into the RT and light refractions etc. ? Thought that would be something you beeline for as its really cheap to test things out.

15. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

I had the shading slider down to 0.8, and in the Nv CP, the sharpness on 0.5, looked much better over using the DLSS, and gave about the same performance as it.

16. wunkley

Mobster

I played this when it was on gamepass. Just never really 'got' me somehow. Neither did Metro 2033. I feel like I should love the Metro games but I just don't.

17. oldestgregg

Soldato

Confirms it in the check list on page 1.

18. willhub

Capodecina

I find if sharpness isn't left on default everything looks oversharp, almost like there is some white shimmer coming off everything.

19. Grim5

Sgarrista

Console RT is not going to match PC's feature set and image quality, that's just the truth of it.

As per the Q&A comparing Nvidia's cards to the PS5 and Series X, 4A Games said "There is no comparison between them, Nvidia RTX cards are in a completely different league when it comes to Ray Tracing performance"

Last edited: 16 Feb 2021
  20. IICIIEII

Gangster

Exodus... I enjoyed it a lot, but I totally prefer the first two. I loved the idea of a devastated planet with people being able to survive only indoors, also the ghosts you could see in the tunnels, the dark ones, etc. Then I saw that people were everywhere and I was a bit "meh".