4K 32 inch monitor stuck at 30hz, issue with displayport/GPU?

Associate
Hi, i bought the 32" 4k monitor Samsung LU32H850UMUXEN
However, i've set everything up and it's stuck at 30hz. There's no option for 60hz at 4k resolution.
I have a gtx 780 and i've done some research and i've come to the conclusion that my GPU does support 4k resolution at 60hz. Now i will be posting some pictures since the only way i can get my monitor to turn on is via the HDMI 1 cable. I have a display port1.2 cable but it doesn't seem to work or i'm not sure what's up with it. I've successfully connected all 3 wires to the back of my monitor, the issue is connecting them to the back of my PC.
The HDMI Cable connects just fine to the back of my PC, so does the USB wire into a regular usb slot at the back. However the display port cable doesn't fit anywhere or go into anything at the back, so what i did was, i found a small attachment that was in the box full of wires and it seems the display port cable does go into this attacher, i then attached that to a small port like you will see in the picture below. I will circle where i've inputted everything. Please help me, i have no idea what's wrong but i can't even get 4k to work on my 4k monitor at 60hz. Warning: My case is very dirty, i haven't cleaned it in a long time, try and ignore it, i know i need to clean it etc, don't ask me how long it has been! i will be buying one of those air sprayers i got last time and cleaning it in a day, but before then i'd really like to see 4k on my monitor like advertised.

These two pictures are of the back of the monitor
as you can see all fit in correctly which is expected as they came with the monitor. (I've not included the img code because pictures are too big)
https://i.imgur.com/bHQFZSS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zljB4Xu.jpg

As you can see the display port in the middle and hdmi 1 on the left.
Now the hdmi connects fine to a port at the back of my computer, the display port does not so i found this connector in the box that had all the wires in it and it seems to fit in this connector. After it fits, i connect it to a small little port at the back of my pc right under the usb section.
https://i.imgur.com/1h6Hend.jpg

After it fits, i connect it to a small little port at the back of my pc right under the usb section.
Warning, very dirty case! https://i.imgur.com/KehotW9.jpg

I've outlined where i then connect my display port after connecting it to the adaptor like seen in the above picture. Right below the usb section there's that small port thing you can see in the picture i have arrow pointing to and that's where it seems to fit/go in. However even when i have all 3 connected into back of pc + monitor, i'm still only getting 30hz at 4k and not 60hz. Can someone explain what is wrong? i've tried searching but i can't seem to find an answer, Thank you very much for any help!

Soldato
That's a Mini DP port. The monitor doesn't come with a Mini DP cable does it? You may need to get one of those. That said, if you're going from DP in the monitor to Mini DP on your GPU (via the adaptor), it should work. Take out the HDMI, you won't be using that.

Associate
OP
That's a Mini DP port. The monitor doesn't come with a Mini DP cable does it? You may need to get one of those. That said, if you're going from DP in the monitor to Mini DP on your GPU (via the adaptor), it should work. Take out the HDMI, you won't be using that.

the one that says 'mini dp' is empty, there is no cable plugged in though? the one next to it on the left side that has a wire in is the display port. I took the hdmi cable out and put my monitor to display port but it doesnt show anything, just 3 colors and text saying 'check hdmi 1 signal' or something like that. May i ask you to take a look if the other end of my display port is right? since it wont fit into any slot and i had to connect to that connector which turns it into a small port thing where i've drawn the arrow. is it supposed to be like that? how come my pc doesn't have a regular port where i can plug in my display port cable? Also yes it only came with a dp cable, hdmi 1 cable and that other cable that plugs into the usb, no idea what that is for, and of course the power cable.

Soldato
the one that says 'mini dp' is empty, there is no cable plugged in though? the one next to it on the left side that has a wire in is the display port. I took the hdmi cable out and put my monitor to display port but it doesnt show anything, just 3 colors and text saying 'check hdmi 1 signal' or something like that. May i ask you to take a look if the other end of my display port is right? since it wont fit into any slot and i had to connect to that connector which turns it into a small port thing where i've drawn the arrow. is it supposed to be like that? how come my pc doesn't have a regular port where i can plug in my display port cable? Also yes it only came with a dp cable, hdmi 1 cable and that other cable that plugs into the usb, no idea what that is for, and of course the power cable.

Can you not select DP input on the monitor? Sounds like you have HDMI selected, hence that message on the screen.

You are going from DP to Mini-DP, which should work. I assume I'm understanding correctly and that adaptor you've shown is what you're plugging the DP cable in to, and then you're connecting that to your PC?

Associate
OP
Can you not select DP input on the monitor? Sounds like you have HDMI selected, hence that message on the screen.
I did go on the displayport on my monitor, however it's just a black screen. Yesterday i downloaded the driver or whatever from samsung website and i think it installed on 'hdmi'. Not sure if that's the issue or if it doesn't make any effect.

Soldato
Hang on.. why are you connecting to your motherboard and not the GPU? You said you had a 780? What CPU do you have?

Associate
OP
Hang on.. why are you connecting to your motherboard and not the GPU? You said you had a 780? What CPU do you have?

I have an i5 4670k
i'm not sure what you mean by connecting to motherboard instead of gpu, the little slot i connect to after connecting to the adaptor is the motherboard? i have no idea honestly. It was the only place i could connect to because without the adaptor the display port cable doesnt go anywhere.
https://i.imgur.com/oK0ue3j.jpg
this is where i connect the hdmi cable next to that big thing there, excuse the dirtyness.
I tried connecting the display adaptor next to it, but it doesnt seem to go in which is why i did the adaptor and thne the small port thing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well HDMI won't work, that's not going to give you more than 30Hz. You need DP, and the 4670k does have onboard graphics that should support 4K at 60Hz (see link below). It could be something to do with the cable/adaptor not working correctly.

https://ark.intel.com/products/75048/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz
I know i need to connect the display cable but i cant as it doesnt connect to anywhere on the back of my PC, is using the adaptor and then connecting it to that small place where ive drawn an arrow in the picture wrong? If so how am i supposed to connect my display port cable? it doesn't fit anywhere. You can see all the available spots in my pictures at the back of my pc. Is it supposed to fit in any of those? i tried some and it didnt go in. Also why isn't it connected to my GPU?

Soldato
I know i need to connect the display cable but i cant as it doesnt connect to anywhere on the back of my PC, is using the adaptor and then connecting it to that small place where ive drawn an arrow in the picture wrong? If so how am i supposed to connect my display port cable? it doesn't fit anywhere. You can see all the available spots in my pictures at the back of my pc. Is it supposed to fit in any of those? i tried some and it didnt go in. Also why isn't it connected to my GPU?

The small place in your picture is your motherboard. It should work as your CPU supports on-board graphics. You may have to buy a mini-DP to mini-DP cable and see if that works. You can get them on the rainforest cheaply enough.

That said, there is a DP port on your GPU. I can see it in that picture! It's the one on the right.

Associate
OP
The small place in your picture is your motherboard. It should work as your CPU supports on-board graphics. You may have to buy a mini-DP to mini-DP cable and see if that works. You can get them on the rainforest cheaply enough.

That said, there is a DP port on your GPU. I can see it in that picture! It's the one on the right.
Which one are you referring to? The one on in the middle next to that big blue connector is where i plug in hdmi and the one next to that, i tried display adaptor yesterday i think and it didnt fit, is that the one you're talking about? If so i'll try take my case out and see why it doesnt fit or what's going on.

Soldato
Which one are you referring to? The one on in the middle next to that big blue connector is where i plug in hdmi and the one next to that, i tried display adaptor yesterday i think and it didnt fit, is that the one you're talking about? If so i'll try take my case out and see why it doesnt fit or what's going on.

On your GPU! There's a Display Port right there, on the right! This image... https://i.imgur.com/oK0ue3j.jpg

Associate
OP
On your GPU! There's a Display Port right there, on the right! This image... https://i.imgur.com/oK0ue3j.jpg

ah yes that one. Yes i did attempt it once at night yesterday but it was a half assed attempt because i didnt move my pc around and had to get under my desk. Though when i tried it did not seem to fit or go in, i will give it another go properly, thank you for your assistance, i will update tomorrow!

Soldato
ah yes that one. Yes i did attempt it once at night yesterday but it was a half assed attempt because i didnt move my pc around and had to get under my desk. Though when i tried it did not seem to fit or go in, i will give it another go properly, thank you for your assistance, i will update tomorrow!

They can be a bit stiff sometimes, but it will go in unless it's been damaged somehow.

Soldato
I have the same monitor, only HDMI 2 supports 4k@60, port 1 only supports 4k@30

There are x2 HDMI ports on the U32H850... an HDMI 2.0 and 1.4. Only the HDMI 2.0 will support 4K@60Hz, but so will the Displayport 1.2. HDMI is useless for OP though as his GPU only has a 1.4 HDMI port. If he wants 4K@60Hz he must use Displayport.

Back
Top Bottom