• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4K 60Hz Vs 1440p 144hz vs Ultrawide 1440p 100hz

Soldato
Hey all,

some of you maybe a aware i have all 3 of these panels & i have been doing some side by side testing regarding viability, feel, responsive, pros/cons etc.

Are you guys interested in my findings?,

Soldato
Hey all,

some of you maybe a aware i have all 3 of these panels & i have been doing some side by side testing regarding viability, feel, responsive, pros/cons etc.

Are you guys interested in my findings?,
Could be nice to see but what sort of variables will there be? I can see refresh rate being one.

Are they all gsync? I know you can disable gsync but if latency comes into play that could be a factor in responsiveness.
Anyway it could help people who are still on 1080p and considering upgrading their monitor but are scratching their head where to go.

Soldato
OP
Could be nice to see but what sort of variables will there be? I can see refresh rate being one.

Are they all gsync? I know you can disable gsync but if latency comes into play that could be a factor in responsiveness.
Anyway it could help people who are still on 1080p and considering upgrading their monitor but are scratching their head where to go.
They are all Gsync, but i have played around with fast sync also.

they are PG278Q PG278AQ & the Acer X34A

Soldato
Yep as long as on same rig it would be good to see how it looks and what to expect. Is 100Hz over 60Hz with it visually, how is wide screen working compared to standard aspect these days, is 1440p in either variant currently still best due to games textures and GPU abilities considering 4K 144Hz monitors announced.

Caporegime
Seems pointless to me, considering all this stuff has been covered before and is still covered continuously via other threads as well as reviews.

Soldato
Seems pointless to me, considering all this stuff has been covered before and is still covered continuously via other threads as well as reviews.

There has never been a direct comparison from my knowledge, I'll ask what you prefer first OP - GPU horsepower notwithstanding.

Caporegime
I am interested to see the experience of someone "real" as opposed to a reviewer ... I take most of those with a huge bag of salt ... :)
I agree with most reviewers, especially PR pieces by so called youtube reviewers... But the likes of pcmonitors.info, tftcentral & PRAD are very good + accurate as to what monitors will be like in real world usage.

I was also talking more about general users from the likes of this forum etc.

I think this thread could be very easily summed up as follows:

Resolution:

• The higher the resolution combined with the higher PPI it provides (depending on the size of the display) results in a sharper/clearer image and as a result you don't need as much AA, if any
  • Higher the resolution, the more workspace/screen real estate you get

UW:

• Gives gaming a far greater immersive experience over 16.9 screens
  • Plays back 21.9 films without black bars i.e. fills the entire screen up with no black bars
  • Game support on the whole is very good (loads of stuff covering this as I have covered in the below thread), if there isn't "any" support then you are stuck with black bars on the sides i.e. a 16.9 experience

I have pretty much covered everything you need to know about 21.9 in this thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/21-9-ultrawide-thread.18684417/

Refresh rate:

The higher the refresh rate, generally the lower the input lag (not always the case though as some 60HZ screens have extremely low input lag) along with an increase in response times i.e. better motion clarity and smoother but you need to be achieving the FPS to achieve the full benefit of 100+HZ screens.

Essentially 144HZ is only good for those serious competitive FPS gamers who turn everything down to maintain a constant 130+FPS. However, 144HZ screens are good for gamers that use the in game vsync because it has more refresh interval steps than 60HZ screens.

If you really want to get a good idea for performance then tftcentral and pcmonitors + prad are the only sites that will give you accurate/good results as to what you can expect (you need specific hardware to provide accurate results)

Performance:

No need to really explain this considering the amount of benchmark comparisons out there, especially when it comes to 4k

There has never been a direct comparison from my knowledge, I'll ask what you prefer first OP - GPU horsepower notwithstanding.

As above, if you google around, there are tons of information out there covering all the above as well as comparisons from end users, especially on youtube.

Of course, smogsy can post his thoughts/opinions too but as you will find when it comes to monitor choice, it is very much a personal preference thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom