• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4K 60Hz Vs 1440p 144hz vs Ultrawide 1440p 100hz

Associate
I agree with most reviewers, especially PR pieces by so called youtube reviewers... But the likes of pcmonitors.info, tftcentral & PRAD are very good + accurate as to what monitors will be like in real world usage.

I was also talking more about general users from the likes of this forum etc.

I think this thread could be very easily summed up as follows:

Resolution:

• The higher the resolution combined with the higher PPI it provides (depending on the size of the display) results in a sharper/clearer image and as a result you don't need as much AA, if any
  • Higher the resolution, the more workspace/screen real estate you get

UW:

• Gives gaming a far greater immersive experience over 16.9 screens
  • Plays back 21.9 films without black bars i.e. fills the entire screen up with no black bars
  • Game support on the whole is very good (loads of stuff covering this as I have covered in the below thread), if there isn't "any" support then you are stuck with black bars on the sides i.e. a 16.9 experience

I have pretty much covered everything you need to know about 21.9 in this thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/21-9-ultrawide-thread.18684417/

Refresh rate:

The higher the refresh rate, generally the lower the input lag (not always the case though as some 60HZ screens have extremely low input lag) along with an increase in response times i.e. better motion clarity and smoother but you need to be achieving the FPS to achieve the full benefit of 100+HZ screens.

Essentially 144HZ is only good for those serious competitive FPS gamers who turn everything down to maintain a constant 130+FPS. However, 144HZ screens are good for gamers that use the in game vsync because it has more refresh interval steps than 60HZ screens.

If you really want to get a good idea for performance then tftcentral and pcmonitors + prad are the only sites that will give you accurate/good results as to what you can expect (you need specific hardware to provide accurate results)

Performance:

No need to really explain this considering the amount of benchmark comparisons out there, especially when it comes to 4k

As above, if you google around, there are tons of information out there covering all the above as well as comparisons from end users, especially on youtube.

Of course, smogsy can post his thoughts/opinions too but as you will find when it comes to monitor choice, it is very much a personal preference thing.

Same thinking. I do not interested in g-sync or freesync or what ever sync is. Me and lot more others are interested in the same thing/s as you have already wrote.

Caporegime
Obviously your google skills are superior to mine, please show me where 3 of the panels are DIRECTLY compared.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=4k+vs+21.9+vs+144hz

You don't even need to do a direct comparison.... Learn about the individual displays themselves and what their pros/cons are and then pick what you like the look/sound of the best, like I said, monitor choice is extremely subjective, some hate 4k, some love it, some hate 21.9, some hate it.

Also, there is far more to a monitor than just "4k, 1440P, 21.9, 60/144HZ" i.e. IPS VS TN VS VA, which then introduces all the different panel types pros/cons i.e. IPS glow, VA trailing, TN contrast shift, viewing angles, contrast ratio/black depth (of which every panel type will vary due to differences in the firmware/software tuning as well as different components being used despite the panel itself being the same) and then you have the features.... ULMB, g/free sync, black equaliser etc. etc.

The only thing that can be agreed upon is that higher refresh rate is better AS LONG as you are getting the FPS to "properly" benefit from the high refresh rate (unless you are someone that has poor eye sight)

Last edited:
Soldato
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=4k+vs+21.9+vs+144hz

You don't need to do a direct comparison.... Learn about the individual displays themselves and what their pros/cons are and then pick what you like the look/sound of the best, like I said, monitor choice is extremely subjective, some hate 4k, some love it, some hate 21.9, some hate it.
Direct comparisons are EXTREMELY important, knowing the specs without knowing what they do/entail wouldn't do a layman any favours. Would you honestly plop down thousands for a new TV without checking it out in a shop? Then comparing it to a competitor's product for instance? You are being bullheaded for no good reason.

Caporegime
Direct comparisons are EXTREMELY important, knowing the specs without knowing what they do/entail wouldn't do a layman any favours. Would you honestly plop down thousands for a new TV without checking it out in a shop? Then comparing it to a competitor's product for instance? You are being bullheaded for no good reason.
Yes direct comparisons are important but the way you are describing it, it is like you are wanting to hear/see from someone who has ALL 3 sitting beside each other. There is no need for this, especially when the stuff he will be going over is going to come down to preference/usage in the end.

The subject at hand isn't necessarily about "specs", it is about the "experience" of certain "specs" and like I said these "specs" are subjective and what smogsy posts will be no different to what has already been documented by many people before i.e. you want to know more about ultrawide, then visit my thread I linked above, it goes into everything you need to know about 21.9, want to know more about refresh rates, then visit blurbusters etc. etc.

And no I wouldn't judge a TV by what it is like in a shop because those shops (especially currys) use certain presets under very bright lighting that are nowhere near accurate or close to what you will see under your conditions i.e. dim room with a much less harsh colour preset. If I was wanting a new TV, I would be researching online looking at various forums/threads on the specific models + looking at reviews. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for "direct" comparisons as I would rather learn the pros/cons of the products individually and then pick a TV that suits "my" usage best, not reading a post on what someone else prefers.

For what it's worth, the only TV I would buy now would be based on OLED tech because it offers superior IQ to any LCD TV especially for those times when you view films/tv shows at night in a dim/dark room, which is my priority/usage, for someone else, they may want to do more gaming, therefore they will want something more responsive than the current OLED screens.

Again, he is perfectly free to post his opinions/experiences on the 3 monitors but unless you are someone who has done no research on 4k, 21.9, 60/144hz before, then don't expect to learn much, if anything new at all.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
End of the day what Nexus is saying is right though, monitor choice is very much a subjective thing. My needs will be different to someone else. Fore example I put more value on IQ vs fps, therefore to me, my monitor is better than every 1440p monitor, ultra wide or not, 200hz or not. I don't expect to learn much if anything at all, apart from what smogsy prefers himself.

I hope it is an objective comparison as possible. I would recommend leaving personal preference and bias to the end in the conclusion if possible. The reason I say this is most people if not nearly all are hugely bias when talking about their monitor here. X is the best, bla bla bla, without even understanding what the persons needs are.

Soldato
The reason I say this is most people if not nearly all are hugely bias when talking about their monitor here. X is the best, bla bla bla, without even understanding what the persons needs are.

That might be right for you, but I would guess most that are in the graphics section on the forums are for gaming and most want the biggest with the most hz and high FPS and or ultrawide.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That might be right for you, but I would guess most that are in the graphics section on the forums are for gaming and most want the biggest with the most hz and high FPS and or ultrawide.

I am into gaming though :confused:

So you are saying if one prefers more IQ over hz and ultra wide they are not into gaming? Just because I do not play much online and as a result do not feel the need for above 60hz does not mean I am not into gaming...

You just proved the point I was making with such post. Lol

Never mind the naysayers Smogsy. I am certainly interested.

Not sure why you think I am a naysayer, my advice in that post was for him to try and be objective. If I had zero interest at all I would not be bothering to post :)

Soldato
I am into gaming though :confused:

So you are saying if one prefers more IQ over hz and ultra wide they are not into gaming? Just because I do not play much online and as a result do not feel the need for above 60hz does not mean I am not into gaming...

You just proved the point I was making with such post. Lol

Not sure why you think I am a naysayer, my advice in that post was for him to try and be objective. If I had zero interest at all I would not be bothering to post :)

I was saying not every shares how you feel about it. Just sayin:confused:

Soldato

Honestly I just want to hear/read real user feedback on how they find the differences. Their opinions and why they like one or the other in actual use and with what they use it for. Just because the screen is better also it may lend itself more to work or gaming or movie watching or whatever.

And yeah I can read it all online as individual and even some cross comparisons but I still want to read about opinions and reactions and ask questions and get direct feedback etc.

Caporegime
As much as I tried to look for me quoting your name, I couldn't see it. My post was aimed at those who said "No point" etc. If you didn't say that, it wasn't aimed at you.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
As much as I tried to look for me quoting your name, I couldn't see it. My post was aimed at those who said "No point" etc. If you didn't say that, it wasn't aimed at you.

From the top of my head the only person that may have fit into the naysayer category was Nexus and you used a plural/my post was the most recent when you posted I thought it was a logical conclusion that you was referring to me also. My bad :)

wtf You're always right again. :rolleyes:

It's beating a dead house here at ocuk forums:(

Ah... Don't be like that Simon ;)

We all get it wrong at some point. Has happened to me many times. I am happy to put my hand up and say I am wrong when it does. What I do think tends to happen sometimes is, on the internet it is not as easy to get one's point across compared with in person. Like just above I got it wrong with gregster making an assumption.

Problem I find and at times it even happens to me is, people project like mad when reading posts and start seeing things that are not there :p

ok ill post my thoughts soon, hopefully in the next couple of days. currently wrote just under 50 lines for Setup/General Usage section.

Cool :)

Associate
Ya I'm interested... I'm getting a new build which will need a new monitor (still having a 1080p 144 MHz) and need some input which to choose.

My friends got me a Samsung U28E590D which I haven't tested much since my old build was too weak for somr stable 4K and it broke last week (pls dont aks why) so I got a refund.
Now I don't know if i should get the same again or spend some more for something better :)

Soldato
OP
while im doing it anything you want me to cover? experience wise

so far doing
General
Gaming
Content Creation
sections

but if theirs anything you want me to try feel free and ask.

Caporegime
If "pointing" out "facts" makes me a "naysayer" then so be it :p

Again, obviously smogsy can post his opinions and I'm not telling him otherwise, all I'm saying is that, if people are seriously wanting to upgrade their monitors or/and know more then do your own research (all the information you will need to know is readily available via forums, reviews, youtube, reddit etc.) on the individual products themselves and watch the thousands of youtube videos out there comparing things like performance for different resolutions, the pros/cons of 4k/21.9/144hz etc.

End of the day what Nexus is saying is right though, monitor choice is very much a subjective thing. My needs will be different to someone else. Fore example I put more value on IQ vs fps, therefore to me, my monitor is better than every 1440p monitor, ultra wide or not, 200hz or not. I don't expect to learn much if anything at all, apart from what smogsy prefers himself.

I hope it is an objective comparison as possible. I would recommend leaving personal preference and bias to the end in the conclusion if possible. The reason I say this is most people if not nearly all are hugely bias when talking about their monitor here. X is the best, bla bla bla, without even understanding what the persons needs are.

+1

I chose 21.9/2560x1080/IPS over 1440/4k/144HZ/TN for specific reasons, some reasons will apply to everyone, some won't apply to everyone.

inb4 easy comes along about his 21.9 monitor ;)

Also, for smogsy, if you are going to be talking about game support for 21.9, best thing to do is link to stuff that covers support across a wide range of games etc. as iirc, you have been unlucky with 21.9 and the games you play but this might not affect other potential 21.9 users (i.e. for myself, it has been pretty much perfect for the last 2 years [outside of cut scenes and HUD/UI placement]) since obviously we all play different games. If you check my 21.9 thread, I have linked to various sources that cover 21.9 games and support so you can take those links.

If anything, at least this thread will help people that can't be bothered to google or/and really have no clue on monitor tech. :p

Honestly I just want to hear/read real user feedback on how they find the differences. Their opinions and why they like one or the other in actual use and with what they use it for. Just because the screen is better also it may lend itself more to work or gaming or movie watching or whatever.

And yeah I can read it all online as individual and even some cross comparisons but I still want to read about opinions and reactions and ask questions and get direct feedback etc.
Fair enough if you just are curious to hear what the OP thinks and what he "prefers" and want to get any questions answered directly.

Back
Top Bottom