4K Gaming and Photoshop Desktop

Associate
I have the following questions on the product https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i7-8700k-4.9ghz-fs-1bw-og.html

So I changed some things to get the price down...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Germanium Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4.9GHz = £2,150.99
    • Case:phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black
    • Memory:*Build Stock* Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - G
    • Graphics Card:Asus GeForce GTX 1080Ti Turbo 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Solid State Drive (Secondary):Unwanted
    • Storage Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST2000DM006)
    • Solid State Drive (Primary):Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics Card (SLI):Unwanted

Total: £2,165.09
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Can this do the following...

1) Run games on the highest quality settings up to 4K
2) Run photoshop extremely smoothly
3) Run 2x Monitors
4) Does it have built in wifi?
5) And is it relatively quiet?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Add your configartion to basket then view basket, scroll down the page and press bb code button another screen will pop up and then copy and paste it here.

We will then be ables to see your choices.

Soldato
Can this do the following...

3) Run 2x Monitors
4) Does it have built in wifi?
5) And is it relatively quiet?

Thanks in advance!

1. Smooth 4K gaming is iffy at the moment but you'll get decent enough frame rates with a 1080Ti especially if you dial down the graphic settings/ resolution slightly.
2. No reason why it shouldn't
3. Yes
4. No.
5. Not a clue with this one!

Associate
Heads up, Asus turbo card is a blower style design and is load when gaming compared to dual/triple fan designs

Valuable point there.

The axial fan type of cards have only one fan and take air from inside your case, pass it through the graphics heatsink, then blow it out a vent in the back of the PC. This has advantages and disadvantages. Blowing all the heat out the back of the PC is a very good idea, it avoids heating up the entire insides of the PC, but having only a single fan means that one little fan is going to be hard pushed to keep the card cool especially if you are going 4K. Multi-fan cards don't throw the heat out the back of the PC they just circulate it within the PC, which of course heats up the entire insides of the PC, BUT you can at least turn up the case fans to get rid of all that hot air to keep everything cool, which is why people tend to prefer multi-fan type cards ~ you at least can control matters, but with a single axial fan there is nothing much you can do if the graphics card is screaming hot all the time.

Soldato
You can get the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass RGB which is a bit newer, if you like. With a tempered glass window instead of acrylic.

Total: £2,172.92

Halo for all fans.

Quality 280mm cooler for that hot CPU. Overclock yourself, it's easy. If you choose a 4.9GHz overclock option you'll get a CPU that's been binned (doesn't reach 5.0GHz stable). With a non-binned/non-overclocked CPU you could maybe hit 5.0.

Build fee for this would take it to around the figure for the pre-build (well, at least on my screen when I click your link it shows £2,226 not £2,150, not sure why).

Soldato
thanks for that! Its worth changing then for the extra bit of money!

Yes, I had Gigabyte 1080 Turbo, slightly different heatsink design to Asus but better then Nvidia reference but still had to use better thermal paste, Asus don't not allow cooler removal so you wouldn't be able to do this, spend the extra :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all thr suggestions.....

I´ve gone back and amended the speccs.... What do you think?
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Germanium Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 4.9GHz = £2,221.99
    • Case:phanteks Enthoo Pro M Midi Tower Case with Window - Black
    • Memory:*Build Stock* Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - G
    • Graphics Card:Asus GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Solid State Drive (Secondary):Unwanted
    • Storage Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST2000DM006)
    • Solid State Drive (Primary):Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics Card (SLI):Unwanted

Total: £2,236.09

Just a reminder.... these are what I want the desktop to be able to do...

3) Run 2x Monitors (not both at 4K)

Couple of questions.... Can this desktop do these things? and also, any idea if it has 2 x hdmi slots, and how many USB slots does it have? Oh and would this be relatively quiet?

I´m ready to buy and don´t want to make any silly mistakes!

Thanks again!

Associate
OP
Yes, I had Gigabyte 1080 Turbo, slightly different heatsink design to Asus but better then Nvidia reference but still had to use better thermal paste, Asus don't not allow cooler removal so you wouldn't be able to do this, spend the extra :)
For some reason I can´t choose the gigabyte option... only asus is available ..... Any ideas why?

Associate
I think you are dreaming if you want 4K60FPS on Ultra on games. It is really hit and miss.

My system struggles at Ghost Recon: Wildlands, The Division etc at those levels. Some games are fine like Destiny 2 (Beta - well, was fine on my i5 3570K 3.4Ghz with 1080Ti), Shadow of War etc but a lot of games I have to scale back a bit even though the VRAM is nowhere near capacity.

1440p seems to be the 'sweet spot'.

Soldato
should try ultra wide 1440p!

non true 4k is 3840*2160 = 8.3 megapixels vs 1440p ultra wide is 3440*1440= 5 mill

can also go to 100hz and Ti should be able to drive these screens over 60hz at ultra , plus great for photo shop, having a wide screen haha

Back
Top Bottom