1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K HDR capable streaming box/stick?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Nevakonaza, 21 Jun 2021.

1. Nevakonaza

Soldato

Hey guys,

So with my Roku 4k stick died on me, I'm now after an alternative.

Ideally what i need is a stick/Streaming box that supports a ton of apps and not tied down to only certain ones? For example i need something capable of installing the "Shudder" streaming app.

I've had a Firestick 4k,and to be honest, I didn't like it,Wayyyyy too many advertisements cluttering the home screen, And it didn't support "Shudder" app to be installed out of the box.

Would anyone recommend a certain new 4K streaming box that's not so well known but good?

i did think about Maybe a Nvidia Shield or Apple TV but i have a feeling they will have a lot of limitations and not allow third party apps to be installed. (Plus they are super expensive!)

What would you guys recommend :)

2. ubern00b

Mobster

3. Missone

Associate

I know you can side-load a lot of apps with an Nvidia shield which you should look into. Apple would tend to be more restrictive in what you can load going by their other devices.

4. tres

Soldato

Nvidia Shield Pro > everything else

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

What's the benefit of a Shield Pro if your TV already has native apps for Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Plex etc?

6. tres

Soldato

I mainly use it for Plex, plays every format natively, much faster than inbuilt apps. The 4k upscaling is incredible.

7. Missone

Associate

This.
    It can be used as a Plex server if that interests you, plus it can play games if needed. Upscaling works well.

8. hyperseven

Sgarrista

gamepass/xcloud

9. rubberduck

Mobster

Android box