4k monitor advice

Associate
HI all, got a new laptop for work (I am a programmer) and am looking for a new monitor to go with it, but no idea what to look for.

I like the look of a curved monitor so my eyes are roughly the same distance no matter where I am looking but all this G-Sync and response time has me confused and not sure if it's relevant if I am just coding and not playing games.

Laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port / mini DisplayPort.

Cheers

Associate
HI all, got a new laptop for work (I am a programmer) and am looking for a new monitor to go with it, but no idea what to look for.

I like the look of a curved monitor so my eyes are roughly the same distance no matter where I am looking but all this G-Sync and response time has me confused and not sure if it's relevant if I am just coding and not playing games.

Laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port / mini DisplayPort.

Cheers

To help you we're going to need to know a bit more about a) your budget b) your laptop specs

Specifically on b), which card does it have, what version is the mini-DP port, and if it has more than one output.

Now to get this out of the way, GSync really has no use for you if you're just coding. Neither does high Hz or low ms really. So no need to worry about those :)

* 4k is great but won't help you when it comes to having windows side by side. I use one and besides file explorers can't really "multitask" much on one monitor. Otherwise for single window use they're brilliant

* 2 x 1080p monitors is an option, but if you have a single DP output, either you have to get a docking station (expensive) or find one monitor with DP daisy chaining so you can connect laptop --> monitor 1 --> monitor 2 . I don't think this is common in 1080p monitors

* My suggestion would be you try an 1440p ultrawide. I find it works better for multitasking as you can keep 2 windows open side by side (3 if they're narrow). I think there's a few Samsung/Philips models for productivity. You will need to check your GPU and ensure your DP is at least version 1.2.

If you go 4k or 1440p UW curved is an option but normally a bit more expensive

Think about the above and we can go from there :)

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for that great feedback.

I have an Alienware Area 51 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070. Single Thunderbolt 3 and a mini Displayport 1.4.

I have plenty of desk space, but not keen on 2 monitors, would just prefer a single.

Quite liked the look of Dell UltraSharp 43 4K USB-C Monitor: U4320Q until I spied the curved. That is about top end of budget at £800.

Cheers

Associate
While I have no experience with 43'' monitors, I'd say in general if you're hesitating between a Dell and other brand, go for the Dell. They have a better build, better QA, and better warranty

Soldato
So need to look for IPS and not VA?
Really only you can answer that as some people prefer IPS panels , Some prefer VA panels and some prefer TN panels as each type have difference strong and weak points

I myself is using a 35" VA ultra Wide and am OK with the Viewing angles but will admit the viewing angles on my last 34" IPS Ultra Wide were far better
But i myself prefer the much better blacks you get on a VA panel and no IPS glow as i mainly use my PC in a Fairly dark room.

Plus i also own an OLED TV which then makes LCD black levels look even worst.:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom