4k TV minefield (spec me a 55inch 4k TV)...

Soldato
I like to think I'm quite clued up / geeky, however what has happened to the TV market, it is so hard to make a reasonable decision, find decent reviews and compare like for like sets.

I'm in the market for a new tv, currently coming from an entry level Sony HD tv with Android circa 2015.

After researching I'd love

OLED - although I've conceded I can't justify the cost increase
4k 10bit HDR???? - apparently I need this, or its a waste of time

In an ideal world, I'd get another Sony, as I like the android system, and I've been burnt by LG before, and WebOS isn't something I'm enthused to put up with

I'm looking at a max of £800, not that I can't afford more, but I'm seeing sets at 55inch go for sub 600, and I can't understand the difference, outside of "quality". Help me define quality

Ultimately this is part rant, part spec me....

Any help appreciated

Associate
Sub 600 sets at 55" or above are budget sets. They'll lack basic things like wifi/DNLA/USB3 etc etc they'll also be edge lit LCD which is pretty awful compared to OLED and direct lit LCD with local dimming. So, the blacks will be grey in a dark room, the colour reproduction will be poor, the build quality will be anything from good (not all cheap tvs are poorly built) to terrible and so on.

I disagree that 55" is too small for a 4k set. Given that most UK houses air on the small side, a 55" set is fine, if not too big on occasions. I have various sets ranging from 55" OLEDs to 77" OLEDS. A 55" set is fine a 20-25m2 room with a viewing distance of no more then 12-15 feet.

Permabanned
I did ask his seating distance, but hen most peeps sit that far ways that cannot tell SD from 720p to 1080p.

50" 1080p; is about 6-7 feet ideally AFAIR unless you have Superhuman eyes that is.

zwaqgj.jpg

2mzd1qc.jpg

Permabanned
I knew someone would say that as they know better than THX, go by whatever you want to believe but visit any proper AV sit3es and see similar.

Most homes I have seen most do not have a clue anyhow as 42" TV is across other side of room high up on wall above fireplace so it does not matter.

Associate
My friend, let me educate you on some of my gear....

2* 77" OLED (G6/G7) - I've got the TVs
Numerous 55/65" LG B6/C6 OLED - many of them
Multiple 5.1/7.1 surround setups - I've got the sound
Multiple 2.0 setups (some of which comprise of 25k worth of speakers) - such good sound
A cinema comprising of a 4k laser projector on a 200" AT screen (seating 30) - note this is housed in it's own 200sqm building 3*18" custom subs, JBL cinema series speakers, atmos etc etc all installed by a pro - **** IMAX
I have a dedicated listening room which houses 500k worth of speakers/gear. - I'm showing off

I do not give a flying **** what THX says. I know what I see/hear.

THX is comparable to Which? magazine.

I knew someone would say that as they know better than THX, go by whatever you want to believe but visit any proper AV sit3es and see similar.

Most homes I have seen most do not have a clue anyhow as 42" TV is across other side of room high up on wall above fireplace so it does not matter.

Permabanned
I sit 7feet from my 50" Kuro on my PC seat if its a good movie if it was for example the news or soaps crap I would sit on settee but do not watch normal TV now anyhow.

Permabanned

Multiple 2.0 setups (some of which comprise of 25k worth of speakers) - such good sound
A cinema comprising of a 4k laser projector on a 200" AT screen (seating 30) - note this is housed in it's own 200sqm building 3*18" custom subs, JBL cinema series speakers, atmos etc etc all installed by a pro - **** IMAX
I have a dedicated listening room which houses 500k worth of speakers/gear. - I'm showing off

I do not give two monkeys about your gear, so boast elsewhere and curved TV lol.

Associate
I do not give two monkeys about your gear, so boast elsewhere and curved TV lol.
You're the one banging on about THX being the standard for everything. I can assure you, that is not the case.

Nowt wrong with a curved TV. I forget the C6 are even curved until I look at them side on.

Associate

Yea screw the chart... can I have one of your OLED TVs :D

Soldato
Let’s get this straight..

Edge lit TVs are not crap.

Yes they have problems but so does every other Tech. It all depends on what you can live with.

Oleds?? IR, uniformity, banding and vignetting and clipping bright objects.

Edge and local dinning, bloom, haloing, bleed

People seem to forget a little thing called PQ.

Soldato

Party at FurryLemon's house. :D

Soldato
The issue here is budget. You maybe able to get a 55xe85 series Sony set for £800 in a week or so. That has android and a VA panel, which I believe is 100/120hz.

If you want to go cheaper you'll be looking at a 50/60hz panel. The Hisense N6800 might be an option.

Soldato
If you contact a Sony shop and tell them the TV info they will sell it to you with a years warranty. But you can purchase a 5 year one off them at the same time.

Thanks bud. Any idea how much a 5 year warranty is from Sony, on a tV costing around 2k? If it's not cheap that would take the edge off the seemingly good price reductions on that Sony refurb site....

Back
Top Bottom