4k VS 1440p for gaming

Associate
Not really a surprise with 0 AA applied. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove?

Anyone who says they play the latest AAA titles on a 4K screen with a single GPU "maxed out" is either lying or does not know what "maxed out" means.

Does 4K really need AA? I apologies if that is a naive question. I imagine it would benefit from some but having never seen a comparison with and without at this resolution I honestly don't know if it is required.

Soldato
Isn't there also the thing with a lot of 4k panels virtually splitting the panel in half and treating both as separate displays? That causes problems.

On the upside, Chrome beta now actually scaled in UHD properly, so 4k panels have that going for them, which is nice.

Soldato
Does 4K really need AA? I apologies if that is a naive question. I imagine it would benefit from some but having never seen a comparison with and without at this resolution I honestly don't know if it is required.

4k doesnt need any AA, Ive test no AA vs 4XMSAA and with my face 5" from the screen I cannot see the difference, adding it to any benchmark is just pointless

Associate
OP
^ wether it is pointless or not when you say * everything maxed out* it should mean everything not everything but these bits I left out,

That would be like me selling my car saying it does 180 miles per hour.................... but only when dropped from a great height lol

Soldato
4k doesnt need any AA, Ive test no AA vs 4XMSAA and with my face 5" from the screen I cannot see the difference, adding it to any benchmark is just pointless

I agree with you. Worst case FXAA.

And on 28" 4K screen, the pixel size is more than half of the pixel of a 27" 1440p monitor, and 1/3 of the size of the 24" 1080p

Associate
For me, there's a big difference between 0 AA and 2xAA but it anything over 2x is not a noticeable visual improvement.

Soldato
In this thread and all other 4k threads, there’s the same 2/3 people that have had a bad experience with 4k monitors, this either being because they have had a bad one or they don’t have a system powerful enough to power it, this in return makes them bitter and it shows in their posts. The other 90% of posters with 4k monitors are over the moon with their hardware, me included in this, I have the setup that runs it to perfection (which I add its all quite old hardware now) and I wouldn’t trade it for any other monitor.

If you’re buying 4k I wouldn’t let the minority of saw people put you off, try it for yourselves, doubtful you'll be dissapointed.

Soldato
Got terrible dirty thoughts about going 4k sooner than I thought I might due to the incoming Gsync versions.

I'm currently rocking 2 x 780Tis (3GB versions obvioulsy). Anyone on here running 4k with this (or 2x 3GB 780's overclocked at a push)?

VRAM limited ?

Sell 780Tis for 2x 780 6GB ?

Just dirty thoughts at this stage, but they often brew into reality :D

Last edited:
Soldato
In this thread and all other 4k threads, there’s the same 2/3 people that have had a bad experience with 4k monitors, this either being because they have had a bad one or they don’t have a system powerful enough to power it, this in return makes them bitter and it shows in their posts. The other 90% of posters with 4k monitors are over the moon with their hardware, me included in this, I have the setup that runs it to perfection (which I add its all quite old hardware now) and I wouldn’t trade it for any other monitor.

If you’re buying 4k I wouldn’t let the minority of saw people put you off, try it for yourselves, doubtful you'll be dissapointed.

What a load of nonsense.

Yes I was so bitter I went out and bought Titan Blacks for the extra frame buffer, and tried three seperate TN panels that all have various issues .

It's fair to say that newly introduced panels (or any hardware) will have their fair share of problems, and even reps from companies such as ASUS / AMD will as good as admit that.

Why not simply say you're having no problems rather than irrationally assume there is only a few users experiencing issues.

Much like peoples opinion that 40 FPS is an acceptable frame rate, people's standards differ with monitors as well, and the current TN crop have problems regardless of how much you seem to like yours.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to listen to pretty much every tech site ever that says to wait on 4k (then lists the current problems with the hardware) rather than a single end user who is way more likely to have bias on his purchase.

Associate
Got terrible dirty thoughts about going 4k sooner than I thought I might due to the incoming Gsync versions.

I'm currently rocking 2 x 780Tis (3GB versions obvioulsy). Anyone on here running 4k with this (or 2x 3GB 780's overclocked at a push)?

VRAM limited ?

Sell 780Tis for 2x 780 6GB ?

Just dirty thoughts at this stage, but they often brew into reality :D

As 2 titan blacks are equal to your ti's apart from vram i can tell you that even on crysis 3 welcome to the jungle level in the grassy parts (max settings, no AA) you will pull 45fps ish as long as your cpu is not crappy and that is the g-sync sweet spot. When i used my old overclocked 3gb GTX 780 it had no issue with vram as long as i stayed away from heavy AA. You should overclock your ti's unless they are already and you will be good for 4k with g-sync.

Soldato
What a load of nonsense.

Yes I was so bitter I went out and bought Titan Blacks for the extra frame buffer, and tried three seperate TN panels that all have various issues .

It's fair to say that newly introduced panels (or any hardware) will have their fair share of problems, and even reps from companies such as ASUS / AMD will as good as admit that.

Why not simply say you're having no problems rather than irrationally assume there is only a few users experiencing issues.

Much like peoples opinion that 40 FPS is an acceptable frame rate, people's standards differ with monitors as well, and the current TN crop have problems regardless of how much you seem to like yours.

LuLz ok then if you say so. :rolleyes:
Why dont you simply say "you" had lots of problems rather than irrationally assuming that all 4k monitors are fawled.

Soldato
I have the setup that runs it to perfection (which I add its all quite old hardware now) and I wouldn’t trade it for any other monitor.

So you are running 2+ GPUs in SLI/Xfire with huge VRAM and the supporting hardware to boot?

'Quite Old Hardware' does not equal a perfect 4K gaming experience, no matter how much you want it to.

Anyone who thinks, states, believes that 4K Gaming is a rosy, perfect and flaw free experience on a single CURRENT GPU, let alone a single previous-gen GPU is fooling themselves.

I've ran BF4 with 2 x 780Tis boosting to 1200Mhz and a 4.5Ghz 4770k at the equivalent of 4K at all Ultra and 0x AA. I managed around about 60-80FPS. Became VRAM limited with any AA applied.

60-80FPS is just above the borderline of Acceptable. Quite how anything single GPU is a perfect experience is beyond me.

Soldato
But you've got 4k.

Wow, youre a special one aren't you lol. Two people in a single thread express how they've had more than three panels with problems. *Gently pushes away the bubble you're floating in*

Not so special really, £450 was as much as I wanted to invest in a monitor, had I of wanted to spend £700 I would have got the ultra wide. Its really that simple.

Now as you have nothing interesting or informative to add and you follow me round because you have little else to do with your life enjoy my ignore list. ;)

So you are running 2+ GPUs in SLI/Xfire with huge VRAM and the supporting hardware to boot?

'Quite Old Hardware' does not equal a perfect 4K gaming experience, no matter how much you want it to.

Anyone who thinks, states, believes that 4K Gaming is a rosy, perfect and flaw free experience on a single CURRENT GPU, let alone a single previous-gen GPU is fooling themselves.

I've ran BF4 with 2 x 780Tis boosting to 1200Mhz and a 4.5Ghz 4770k at the equivalent of 4K at all Ultra and 0x AA. I managed around about 60-80FPS. Became VRAM limited with any AA applied.

60-80FPS is just above the borderline of Acceptable. Quite how anything single GPU is a perfect experience is beyond me.

Yeah I would say running 4k off hardware that is over a year old GPU wise and 3 years old CPU wise at over 60-80 FPS is pritty good going, lets not forget these displays dont see anything over 60hz for the time being, so having more is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom