4k VS 1440p for gaming

Soldato
Yeah I would say running 4k off hardware that is over a year old GPU wise and 3 years old CPU wise at over 60-80 FPS is pritty good going, lets not forget these displays dont see anything over 60hz for the time being, so having more is pointless.

Are you unutterable incapable of comprehension?

I run BF4 at 4K at 60-80s FPS with SLI 780Tis and a 4770k - all relatively heavily overclocked.

Previous Gen hardware does not. So no, it's not "Pretty good going" it's "Impossible".

You have just torched any credibility you had left with the following statement however:

lets not forget these displays dont see anything over 60hz for the time being, so having more is pointless.

Wrong. Next you will be saying the human eye cannot see more than X FPS so "What's the point"

But please, post your relatively old hardware spec that runs 4K Gaming perfectly. Everyone who runs cutting edge monster systems would love to know how to have the same experience for £500.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Well I caved, can't quite afford the extra graphic power atm when going through more or less a complete rebuild so I ordered the Hazro 2560x1600 IPS from the weekly sale.

Can't wait to see what an IPS screen looks like in the flesh with the better viewing angles for watching media from the bed and not to mention the extra real estate for gaming.

Man of Honour
Looking to upgrade my Dell U2713H to a 4k monitor. Are the IPS panels due to come down at any point? Not sure I could cope with TN after having IPS for 5+ years.

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my Dell U2713H to a 4k monitor. Are the IPS panels due to come down at any point? Not sure I could cope with TN after having IPS for 5+ years.

Later this year some models using AHVA panels are due. This is panel manufacturer AUO's version of IPS. The 28" versions are expected to be priced much more reasonably than any current IPS-type UHD model out there.

Caporegime
The only people that say 4k isn't ready are the people that cant afford it yet.

Humourous quote of the month.

If 4k needs SLI or Crossfireto play demanding modern games at 4k (and even then not always fluidly depending on the game) then it's not ready. End of.

Going and maintaining fluid 4k at this stage is purely the newest elitist fad for the top 1% of elitist PC gamers who can afford it. The VRAM requirements alone when combined with the grunt needed to push that amount of pixels dictate high-end hardware is needed.

In a couple of years when GPU's rise significantly in power then it will be mainstream.

Man of Honour
Later this year some models using AHVA panels are due. This is panel manufacturer AUO's version of IPS. The 28" versions are expected to be priced much more reasonably than any current IPS-type UHD model out there.

Thanks, I'll wait out for now then.

Just realised I've been running IPS since 2007, so a bit longer than 5 years. :)

Soldato
Humourous quote of the month.

If 4k needs SLI or Crossfireto play demanding modern games at 4k (and even then not always fluidly depending on the game) then it's not ready. End of.

Because you can’t afford SLI/Crossfire? :rolleyes:

Most pointless quote of the month, this could be applied to anything in life, lambos and Ferrari’s would be mainstream if every-one could afford them, just because you can’t doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be in the marketplace.

Plus I dont really see your arguement when you agree'd with me in your own thread.

"As we know, 4k is now becoming, if not standard, at least increasingly commonplace on mid/high-end machines."

Oops!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only people that say 4k isn't ready are the people that cant afford it yet.

We're getting in to semantics a bit but

Are PC's 4k ready? [for gaming]

Yes - If you have a lot of money to burn

Are mainstream gamers 4k ready

No - Not for a good few years yet. I bet if you looked at Steam surveys to see who was running resolutions above 1440p it would be a tiny percentage of gamers. Remember that Overclockers forum users are hardly indicative of the general PC gamer.

Similarly - 4k TV's are everywhere, and yet there isn't a physical media (blu-ray successor) or TV channel publicly broadcasting anything at 4k at the moment.

Again, TV's might be "4k ready", but other than watching breaking bad on Netflix, or the demo videos they sometimes provide, there's not much reason to own one at the moment.

'Television' isn't 4k Ready, but TV's are.

Caporegime
Course, if you can afford 4k gaming you can probably afford one of the new Samsung 4k TV's with HDMI 2.0.

You could then game on a nice 55"+ monitor from the comfort of your sofa.

They RRP at about 2.3k.

It was only 15 months ago that I spent £1600 on a 55" 1080p plasma...

Soldato
We're getting in to semantics a bit but

Are PC's 4k ready? [for gaming]

Yes - If you have a lot of money to burn

Again, this is simply not correct. It's only correct if you want max settings on the most modern games. I'm running max settings at 4K on Borderlands 2, for instance. If you have a 3 GB 660 Ti or 7950 - both around £100 on your favourite auction site - then all you need to do is add another and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom