4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC - Acer XB280HK

Associate
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/77934

Acer announces the new Acer XB280HK gaming monitor as the world’s first 4k2k display featuring NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to provide stunning, ultra-smooth, tear-free imagery and rich colors for outstanding gaming experiences. It features Acer’s flicker-less, low-dimming and ComfyView technologies that reduce strain on the eyes for smooth and comfortable extensive viewing.

Looks interesting August/September with an estimated retail price of £499 inc VAT. could be one to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah no doubt that price will shoot up (the £499 is something I read on another site), but with a couple of months to go and so many more 4k monitors being release one can only hope prices drop as more sell (much like the old ssd's :)). I guess we will just have to wait, if it does come in at that price I recon it could have quite a few people jumping on it.

OcUK Staff
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/77934

Looks interesting August/September with an estimated retail price of £499 inc VAT. could be one to keep an eye on.

Hi there

Can you tell me where you have seen the price £499.99 Inc. VAT or where Acer mentioned this?

I am asking as we are doing our order with Acer but our cost is actually over £500 and I am trying to argue with them that the MSRP is £499.99 Inc. VAT and how they expect me to hit it........

Maybe you meant £499 +TAX?

Based on the current pricing given to use by Acer, here is the product:-

Acer 4k2k XB280HK 28" G-Sync Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red @ £599.99 inc VAT

MO-065-AC_400.jpg

Acer XB280HK gaming monitor as the world’s first 4k2k display featuring NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to provide stunning, ultra-smooth, tear-free imagery and rich colors for outstanding gaming experiences. It features Acer’s flicker-less, low-dimming and ComfyView technologies that reduce strain on the eyes for smooth and comfortable extensive viewing.

The Acer XB280HK is intended to be paired with enthusiast PCs for immersive, ultra high-end gaming. It features a spacious 28-inch LED backlit display with 4k2k Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels) that’s four times the resolution of 1080p Full HD, and presents stunning high quality images for outstanding visual enjoyment.

With a GeForce® GTX™-powered PC, NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology synchronizes the display’s refresh rates to the GPU to eliminate screen tearing and minimize display stutter and input lag to deliver smoother, faster, more breathtaking gaming experiences. Scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper and more vibrant, and gameplay is more fluid and responsive providing gamers with significant performance advantages.

The Acer XB280HK features 170/170 degree viewing angles so that brilliantly-colored images can be seen from almost every angle. DisplayPort™ v1.2 transmits video signals and four USB 3.0 ports are conveniently located at the side and bottom of the display for connecting to keyboard, mouse or mobile devices.

The Acer XB280HK monitor is made with post-consumer recycled plastic and features a distinctive red ring on the base stand. The multi-functional ErgoStand allows the screen to tilt from -5° to 35° to ensure the best viewing angle; the base rotates 120° from left or right for easy screen sharing; the panel height can be raised by up to 150 mm for optimum comfort; and the screen pivots from horizontal to vertical for more viewing perspectives.

This eco-friendly monitor features a mercury- and arsenic-free panel, LED backlighting for reduced power consumption, and is ENERGY STAR®(1) qualified.

Features:-
- Flicker-less technology – stable power supply eliminates screen flicker particularly beneficial for heavy users by helping to reduce eye strain.
- Low dimming technology – adjust to as low as 15 percent brightness in low light environments to make it easy on the eyes. Standard monitor settings start at 30 percent brightness level.
- ComfyView technology – the non-glare panel reduces reflection from light source.

Specification:-
- G-Sync Technology
- Display Screen Size: 28" (70.8cm)
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Panel Type: TN
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000
- Resolution: 3840x2160 (Only over DisplayPort at 60Hz)
- Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
- Viewing Angle (H / V ): 170 ° / 160 °
- Connectivity: 2x HDMI (30Hz), 1x DisplayPort (60Hz)
- USB Hub: Yes
- Warranty: 2yr

Only £599.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

OcUK Staff
And a G-SYNC monitor with HDMI ports (presumably not supporting G-SYNC, but allowing games consoles etc. to be connected). Interesting stuff.

That is not confirmed m8. Our Acer contact does not have the full spec yet, all they know is my buy price which is above the MSRP of £499.99 suggested here.

I shall remove the HDMI from the spec.

Soldato
What's predicted stock on these like Gibbo? At this price the swift and the other 4k units can do one, but I absolutely hate laying down the full amount of cash on a preorder, non-refunadable 10% or something would have me pre order lots of things from you guys, as is I'd rather not have £600 out of my account for 6 weeks on the hope stock lands when it should.

OcUK Staff
What's predicted stock on these like Gibbo? At this price the swift and the other 4k units can do one, but I absolutely hate laying down the full amount of cash on a preorder, non-refunadable 10% or something would have me pre order lots of things from you guys, as is I'd rather not have £600 out of my account for 6 weeks on the hope stock lands when it should.

Nothing is concrete but delivery will be August sometime, I'd advice not pre-ordering until next week, just in case they can give me a much better price. :)

OcUK Staff
How well does gsync work? Would it make 20-25 FPS feel playable?

Not really!

It smooths out big differentials and stops tearing.

So lets say in a game you have a maximum of 60fps and a minimum of 25fps then it works superbly well!

Of course having zero tearing is great as well! :)

Soldato
Not really!

It smooths out big differentials and stops tearing.

So lets say in a game you have a maximum of 60fps and a minimum of 25fps then it works superbly well!

Of course having zero tearing is great as well! :)

I see. So you still need traditional playable frame rates, but have the bonus of lower latency and screen tear.

Cheers.

Soldato
I see. So you still need traditional playable frame rates, but have the bonus of lower latency and screen tear.

Cheers.

Yes. A low frame rate is a low frame rate regardless of whether G-SYNC is used or not. You are fed less information every second so things don't look or feel as fluid as at higher frame rates. G-SYNC is all about making fluctuating frame rates between 30-144fps (in this case 30-60fps) feel less 'painful'. Some users hate tearing with V-SYNC disabled (I do) and hate the stuttering induced with VSync enabled where the frame rate drops below the refresh rate of the monitor (again, I do). The lower latency compared to VSync enabled is also a nice bonus.

Soldato
The big problem with vsync is that whenever the fps drops below 60, what you actually see is 30 - 60 - 30 - 60. Which is why it is so jarring, with gsync you get every frame that is rendered so the transitions and dips are more fluid

Soldato
The big problem with vsync is that whenever the fps drops below 60, what you actually see is 30 - 60 - 30 - 60. Which is why it is so jarring, with gsync you get every frame that is rendered so the transitions and dips are more fluid

Yes that is indeed a massive issue. If you enable Triple Buffering that doesn't happen, but you still get stuttering when the frame rate and refresh rate differ as the monitor duplicates some frames.

Soldato
Finally feels like display technology is moving on after years of stagnation. This could be a pretty awesome screen at a decent price.

Soldato
Yes that is indeed a massive issue. If you enable Triple Buffering that doesn't happen, but you still get stuttering when the frame rate and refresh rate differ as the monitor duplicates some frames.

That is exactly what i'm refering to; when the monitor duplicates a frame, at a refresh of 60hz, the result is effective 30hz, or to talk in terms of frametimes 60hz/fps is 16.6ms, if you are running at 57fps on the gpu then that is an average 17.5ms, but what will most likely be happening is some frames hit below 16.6 and get displayed and others hit after 16.6 causing 33.2ms, which with it happening multiple times per second you pick up as a stutter, it is the constant changing from 16.6ms to 33.2ms that causes the problem... Where as if you have a stream of images being displayed at 16 then 17 then 18 then back to 16ms and so on, you dont notice the difference

Now that ive seen gsync first hand, my next monitor purchase will definitely have it, in fact I will even be trading in my 2-3 month old Samsung 4k to get this acer 4k

Back
Top Bottom